[3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into positive?

Gilles Gilles

[3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into positive?

Hello

A cell contains a negative number that I need to turn into a positive, eg. -123 becomes 123.

I checked the Math section, but didn't find a function to do this:

http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions

Is there a way?

Thank you.
Dries Feys-2 Dries Feys-2

Re: [3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into positive?

ABS() ?

Met vriendelijke groeten, Cordialement, Regards,

*DRIES FEYS*
*CORPORATE SERVICES* • *Senior Software Engineer*

On 12 July 2012 17:28, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> A cell contains a negative number that I need to turn into a positive, eg.
> -123 becomes 123.
>
> I checked the Math section, but didn't find a function to do this:
>
> http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions
>
> Is there a way?
>
> Thank you.

DISCLAIMER ****

http://www.tvh.com/newen2/emaildisclaimer/default.html

"This message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions
set forth in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this
message."

Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: [3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into positive?

ABS() is overkill, just use minus:
"=-B3"

:)

--
Cley Faye
http://cleyfaye.net

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Gilles wrote:

> Hello
>
> A cell contains a negative number that I need to turn into a positive, eg.
> -123 becomes 123.
>
> I checked the Math section, but didn't find a function to do this:
>
> http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions
>
> Is there a way?
>
> Thank you.

      What you need to use is ABS(). This is the absolute value
function. If you click on the function wizard (the icon is a "fx), it
opens. The first function in the list should be ABS.

--Dan

Gilles Gilles

Re: [3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into positive?

Thanks Dries, forgot about that one :-) I checked for "negative" but it wasn't used to describe that function.
chris-5 chris-5

Re: [3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into positive?

The function "Abs" should work.
http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions#ABS

Regards.
Chris.

*De :* Gilles <[hidden email]>
*Envoyé le :* Jeudi 12 Juillet 2012 à 17:28
*À :* users
*Objet :* [libreoffice-users] [3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into
positive?

doug-2 doug-2

On 07/12/2012 11:28 AM, Gilles wrote:

> Hello
>
> A cell contains a negative number that I need to turn into a positive, eg.
> -123 becomes 123.
>
> I checked the Math section, but didn't find a function to do this:
>
> http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions
>
> Is there a way?
>
> Thank you.

Can't you multiply by -1?

--doug

Russell D Mileham Russell D Mileham

Re: [3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number intopositive?

On 07/12/2012 11:28 AM, Gilles wrote:

> Hello
>
> A cell contains a negative number that I need to turn into a positive, eg.
> -123 becomes 123.
>
> I checked the Math section, but didn't find a function to do this:
>
> http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions
>
> Is there a way?
>
> Thank you.

Is the absolute value function available? Try ABS(-123)

Russ

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: [3.5.3.2/Calc] Turn negative number into positive?