3.6.1 dictionary installs (.deb) fail & bork dpkg/apt-get

12 « Prev
r_ouellette r_ouellette

Re: 3.6.1 dictionary installs (.deb) fail & bork dpkg/apt-get

krackedpress wrote
 By the way, there are several French dictionaries to choose from.
May I suggest to install http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/dictionnaires-francais/releases/4.5/ooo-dictionnaire-fr-moderne-v4.5.oxt. French réforme1990 uses new way of writing certain words and you can't mix new and traditionnal ways of writing words in a text. This reform is not welcome accross french speaking countries, so using fr-moderne is a safe choice (I'm from french speaking Québec in Canada ;-) ).

The only way I found to correct my problem with bad .deb dictionnaries was as follow:

LibreOffice 3.6.1.2 (Build ID: e29a214) Linux 64 bits

1. I had to remove twice LibreOffice packages to get rid of deb errors
  sudo apt-get remove libreoffice3.6*

2. Decompress official *deb.tar.gz files and remove all dict files before installing LO
  sudo dpkg -i *.deb

3. Download the necessary dictonnairies from extensions.libreoffice.org (.oxt files)

4. Install the oxt files using a command line as root (administrator) for every users like this:
  sudo /opt/libreoffice3.6/program/unopkg add --shared /path/to/the/oxt/file_to_install.oxt

Now all users get the extensions, no more error when doing a deb install.
Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

file name suggestion

in a message on facebook, somebody suggested that writer when first saving a document should copy a feature of m$ word:  compose automatically the document name  using the first vtwo words of the document itself, instead of naming it something like 'document without name'.  it would be comfortable if you have to save multiple documents in one directory....

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: file name suggestion

Paolo Debortoli wrote:
> in a message on facebook, somebody suggested that writer when first saving a document should copy a feature of m$ word:  compose automatically the document name  using the first vtwo words of the document itself, instead of naming it something like 'document without name'.  it would be comfortable if you have to save multiple documents in one directory....
      Questions: How do you determine what a document's content is by
looking at the first two words? Why would people save a file without
giving it a name that makes sense to the author? What would happen if
more than one text document has the same beginning two words? No, I
think the best thing is to name each file when it is first opened by Writer.

--Dan

________________________________
> in a message on facebook, somebody suggested that writer when first saving a document should copy a feature of m$ word:  compose automatically the document name  using the first vtwo words of the document itself, instead of naming it something like 'document without name'.  it would be comfortable if you have to save multiple documents in one directory....
     Questions: How do you determine what a document's content is by looking at the first two words? Why would people save a file without giving it a name that makes sense to the author? What would happen if more than one text document has the same beginning two words? No, I think the best thing is to name each file when it is first opened by Writer.

--Dan

no...  in case a documents starts like  'the teacher says...'  or  'dear john', when you save it for the first time you find the words 'the teacher' or 'dear john'  (or 'the teacher 2' or 'dear john 2' in case the file name would be already in use) instead of  'document without name'.  then:  if you like it or are in a hurry, you simply click 'save' without changing the file name, otherwise you change the file name and then click 'save'.  I sometimes think of it when I write quick notes or letters...  nobody would make file names obligatory, obvious.

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: file name suggestion

On 09/05/2012 05:51 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Paolo Debortoli wrote:
>> in a message on facebook, somebody suggested that writer when first
>> saving a document should copy a feature of m$ word:  compose
>> automatically the document name using the first vtwo words of the
>> document itself, instead of naming it something like 'document
>> without name'.  it would be comfortable if you have to save multiple
>> documents in one directory....
>      Questions: How do you determine what a document's content is by
> looking at the first two words? Why would people save a file without
> giving it a name that makes sense to the author? What would happen if
> more than one text document has the same beginning two words? No, I
> think the best thing is to name each file when it is first opened by
> Writer.
>
> --Dan

I always hated M$ to decide things for me.  They usually got the name
for the document to be something that did not work for me.  I think they
picked it from the first line of text.

I tend to make a file name be a short sentence of under 30 to 40
characters that describe the document or image.  M$ could not do that
easily.

Tom Tom

Re: file name suggestion

Hi :)
I think the op was talking about the default name.  Of course the person saving the document can change from the default to something more sensible.

The default used by LO at the moment is very old-school.  Files called things like Doc1, Doc2, Doc3 are even less helpful than picking the 1st 2 words.  If it could be cleverer and choose the 1st 2 words of the first main heading that might be more useful.  Perhaps there might be some way using the contents of the Navigator?  Perhaps more than 2 words, such as using the entire 1st main title?  Perhaps adding the date in yyyy-mm-dd order to the end?

>________________________________

NoOp NoOp

Re: file name suggestion

On 09/05/2012 02:27 PM, Paolo Debortoli wrote:
> in a message on facebook, somebody suggested that writer when first saving a document should copy a feature of m$ word:  compose automatically the document name  using the first vtwo words of the document itself, instead of naming it something like 'document without name'.  it would be comfortable if you have to save multiple documents in one directory....

Start your own thread rather than hijacking the original thread:
"3.6.1 dictionary installs (.deb) fail & bork dpkg/apt-get"

See
<http://www.mail-archive.com/users@.../msg23429.html>
to see your thread hijack.
See: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette