[4.0/Win] Edit form?

Gilles Gilles

[4.0/Win] Edit form?

Hello

LibreOffice Write is unable to let me fill this form:

Lost.in.Post.Declaration1.docx
http://bagofiles.free.fr/Lost.in.Post.Declaration1.docx

Apparently, it's filled with macros.

Does someone have an idea how to fill this?

Thank you.
Tinkerer Tinkerer

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Using a Mac 10.8.4 and LibreOffice 4.1.0.4 it works perfectly for me.

Tink.
Gilles Gilles

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Thanks Tink. I must then be missing something about how to actually fill a form.

When I single-click on a field, I get the green squares around it.

When I double-click, the mouse turns into the vertical, blinking bar, but I can't type anything, like it's write-protected.

When I hit F2 to edit, nothing happens.

As to why they didn't simply write an HTML online form...
doug-2 doug-2

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

On 08/07/2013 10:28 AM, Gilles wrote:

> Hello
>
> LibreOffice Write is unable to let me fill this form:
>
> Lost.in.Post.Declaration1.docx
> http://bagofiles.free.fr/Lost.in.Post.Declaration1.docx
>
> Apparently, it's filled with macros.
>
> Does someone have an idea how to fill this?
>
> Thank you.

I filled it in using Textmaker from Softmaker 2012 (paid version)--in
PCLOS. LibreOffice is not all it's cracked up to be!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

At 07:28 07/08/2013 -0700, Gilles Noname wrote:
>LibreOffice Write is unable to let me fill this form:
>http://bagofiles.free.fr/Lost.in.Post.Declaration1.docx
>
>Apparently, it's filled with macros.  Does someone have an idea how
>to fill this?

One solution: open it in Microsoft Word (apologies to those who see
these as dirty words!), save it as .doc instead of .docx, and open
that in LibreOffice (perhaps then saving that as .odt).  I'll send
you the result.  You may need to readjust the vertical spacing.

While you are at it, you might want to explain to the originators:
1) they ought not to be requiring their customers to have particular
proprietary software available,
2) they could make life easier anyway by distributing as .doc instead
of .docx, and
3) being in Northern Ireland (part of the UK), they should be
providing documents in the international standard A4 format, not the
Letter format used by a very few non-standard countries.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Tom Tom

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Hi :)
+1
and a little applause.

If only that was more acceptable.  We are getting there though.  People around me are becoming more aware of the geekish
File - Save As
but outsiders still have trouble with that sort of thing

>________________________________

Gilles Gilles

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Thanks Brian. After more fiddling, I figured how to enter edit mode and fill that form. What a waste of time.
Tom Tom

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Hi :)
Seems like they are trying to go for the prize of most pointlessly awkward form based on just bad formatting options rather than anything sinister or really clever.

Step 1  From the web-page the file opened as "Read only" so i had to save it locally to fill it in
Step 2  Adjust the font sizes and box sizes until they didn't look so bad
Step 3  Was clicking inside the box, then outside again, then inside (repeat until laughing hopelessly or screaming) until at last the thing actually lets you type instead of just being able to adjust the box.  Note this was made easier by step 2 where i made the boxes big enough to type in.

Lost.in.Post.Declaration1.odt

Every fortnight i have to fill in a stupid pointless form that doesn't actually have any spaces for the information the people that designed the form want to know about.  So i hand the form in and then they have to ask me all the stuff they needed to know and, of course, completely ignore all the stuff that i had filled in by doing as the form told me to!

I'm sure there are awards for designing bad forms.

Screwbottle Screwbottle

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Folks

The reason for this document not working correctly has nothing to do
with LO and it's capabilities or lack thereof. Brian covered a number of
work arounds, but the primary one for it not working and the supposedly
editable fields, if we all observe correctly, is that the document opens
from the web, in LibreOffce as a "Read Only" form, no way in hell it
will allow input in this state. And I have just tried it on my wife's
laptop running MS Office 2010, it does the same i.e. "Read Only". This
is the fault or intent of the webmasters with this document. And I
tested this in both Linux and Windows on my system with LO.

So again Brian has covered what one can do, and I was able to save it to
my drive as a .docx and open it fine in a now non-read only state and
fill it in, and then save it as a .docx IN LO.

Regards

Andrew Brown

On 07/08/2013 06:02 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 07:28 07/08/2013 -0700, Gilles Noname wrote:
>> LibreOffice Write is unable to let me fill this form:
>> http://bagofiles.free.fr/Lost.in.Post.Declaration1.docx
>>
>> Apparently, it's filled with macros.  Does someone have an idea how
>> to fill this?
>
> One solution: open it in Microsoft Word (apologies to those who see
> these as dirty words!), save it as .doc instead of .docx, and open
> that in LibreOffice (perhaps then saving that as .odt).  I'll send you
> the result.  You may need to readjust the vertical spacing.
>
> While you are at it, you might want to explain to the originators:
> 1) they ought not to be requiring their customers to have particular
> proprietary software available,
> 2) they could make life easier anyway by distributing as .doc instead
> of .docx, and
> 3) being in Northern Ireland (part of the UK), they should be
> providing documents in the international standard A4 format, not the
> Letter format used by a very few non-standard countries.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Gilles Gilles

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Thanks for the tip. I don't know where to look in LO to check if a document was saved in read-only.

Figuring I'd save time, I filled and saved the DOCX as PDF, uploaded the file to a web site, and provided the URL in my reply.

> I'm sorry I'm unable to open the Lost in Post Declaration you have sent in to ourselves.

No comment.
Screwbottle Screwbottle

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Hi Gilles

Using your example from the doc off the website, as you open the doc in
LO, or any other similiar app, if you look at the very top, to the left,
of the main Writer frame, above any of the menu bars, ribbons. This is
where it normally says "name of doc - LibreOffice Writer" or the like in
other products, you will see in brackets it indicating that it is in a
(read only) state.

This is the same for any doc on your drive, flash disk etc also locked
in a read only state.

Regards

Andrew Brown

On 08/08/2013 01:06 PM, Gilles wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. I don't know where to look in LO to check if a document
> was saved in read-only.
>
> Figuring I'd save time, I filled and saved the DOCX as PDF, uploaded the
> file to a web site, and provided the URL in my reply.
>
>> I'm sorry I'm unable to open the Lost in Post Declaration you have sent in
>> to ourselves.
> No comment.

Gilles Gilles

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Thanks but it's not in read-only mode:

http://postimg.org/image/qzs97o3tf/

The issue is that some fields don't work properly, and once, for some reason, LO displays the green squares around a field, it's not obvious how to get back to normal.

As to why such a big company doesn't simply ask one of their web developer to write an HTML form to handle this is beyond me... but it's consistent with the rest of the issues I had with them. Last time I order from them.

Anyhow, thanks for the help.
Tom Tom

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Hi :)
When you get just the green boxes try clicking far outside the box.  I call this "clicking off into white space".  Then click inside the box again.  try to get inside the inner box in that tiny thin slit they give for the text.

You might have to try this "clicking off into empty space" and then back in the box again a few times for the first one but once you figure out how they have messed it up you'll find the 2nd box easier to get into.

The next problem is that the inner box is tooooo thin and the font toooo large.  You can adjust the box thinness using the green boxes (we call the handles).

They prolly can't afford to get their web-designers or normal IT staff to do this and just gave the job to their work-experience placements who is prolly annoyed at being under-paid for doing the worst jobs while seeing their more highly paid colleagues just lounge around all day.

>________________________________

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

At 04:06 08/08/2013 -0700, Gilles Noname wrote:
>Figuring I'd save time, I filled and saved the DOCX as PDF, uploaded
>the file to a web site, and provided the URL in my reply.
>
>>I'm sorry I'm unable to open the Lost in Post Declaration you have
>>sent in to ourselves.
>
>No comment.

Many people, expecting a .docx file, will try to open it using File |
Open... from within Microsoft Word.  And they'll do that even with
your PDF.  But you knew that.

It all reinforces what I said about your needing to educate your
correspondents!

Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

At 11:41 08/08/2013 +0200, Andrew Brown wrote:

>The reason for this document not working correctly has nothing to do
>with LO and its capabilities or lack thereof. Brian covered a number
>of workarounds, but the primary one for it not working and the
>supposedly editable fields, if we all observe correctly, is that the
>document opens from the web, in LibreOffice as a "Read Only" form,
>no way in hell it will allow input in this state. And I have just
>tried it on my wife's laptop running MS Office 2010, it does the
>same i.e. "Read Only". This is the fault or intent of the webmasters
>with this document. And I tested this in both Linux and Windows on
>my system with LO.

 From what you are saying, you clearly think that the web site is
that of the original publisher of the document.  But no: surely the
questioner had this problem with a local copy of the document and
posted it on a web site himself to make it available to list
subscribers for testing and discussion.  (I'm guessing he was
originally sent it by e-mail.)  We can't blame the originating
company for that aspect of any difficulty.

Brian Barker

Tom Tom

Re: [4.0/Win] Edit form?

Here people just double-click things and use whatever happens to open and then grumble about whichever program it is.