48 hours plus

David H. Lipman David H. Lipman

48 hours plus

Its been 48 hpours plus since I tried top post to;
gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
And it STILL has not arrived !!

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Mahesh T Pai Mahesh T Pai

Re: 48 hours plus

"David H. Lipman" <[hidden email]> writes:

 > Its been 48 hpours plus since I tried top post to;
 > gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
 > And it STILL has not arrived !!

Gmane asks you for a one time confirmation email for each group you
subscribe to. Did you send the confirmation mail??

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
He is wise who knows the sources of knowledge --

Tom Tom

Re: 48 hours plus

Gmane does often have problems with LibreOffice and it's not clear why or which end is the problem.
Apols and regards from
Tom :)

snowshed snowshed

Re: 48 hours plus

On 9/9/11 4:22 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> Its been 48 hpours plus since I tried top post to;
> gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
> And it STILL has not arrived !!

I had trouble posting via Gmane shortly after all the mailing list
address changes at LO.  I couldn't post anything, period.

Still not sure *exactly* what the problem was, but eventually I undid
everything, and started over.  Meaning, I deleted the Gmane accounts and
unsubscribe subscribed from all the mailing lists, and started from scratch.

I have no idea if that will work for you.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2
Thunderbird 6.0.2
LibreOffice 3.3.3

From: "Mahesh T Pai" <[hidden email]>

> "David H. Lipman" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Its been 48 hpours plus since I tried top post to;
>> gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
>> And it STILL has not arrived !!
>>

> Gmane asks you for a one time confirmation email for each group you
> subscribe to. Did you send the confirmation mail??

How do you think this post was made ?
Or the posts I made in "JRE older installs - Windows - now online - no need for Oracle
account" ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: 48 hours plus

Hi David,

David H. Lipman wrote (10-09-11 16:21)

> How do you think this post was made ?
> Or the posts I made in "JRE older installs - Windows - now online - no need for Oracle
> account" ?

Your posts to the users-list come in the moderation cue. Each of your
posts ask help of the volunteers to get to the list. Maybe you would be
so kind to make sure that you are subscribed to the list?

If you want to send mails, without receiving, since you post via Gmane,
you can subscribe with a mail to [hidden email].
A confirmation mail will be send to you (if you don't see it, check the
spamm box) Reply to that mail (with the same mail address of course)

Thanks a lot & kind regards,
Cor Nouws

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

From: "Cor Nouws" <[hidden email]>

> Hi David,
>
> David H. Lipman wrote (10-09-11 16:21)
>
>> How do you think this post was made ?
>> Or the posts I made in "JRE older installs - Windows - now online - no need for Oracle
>> account" ?
>
> Your posts to the users-list come in the moderation cue. Each of your posts ask help of
> the volunteers to get to the list. Maybe you would be so kind to make sure that you are
> subscribed to the list?
>
> If you want to send mails, without receiving, since you post via Gmane, you can
> subscribe with a mail to [hidden email].
> A confirmation mail will be send to you (if you don't see it, check the spamm box) Reply
> to that mail (with the same mail address of course)
>
> Thanks a lot & kind regards,
> Cor Nouws

I use;  news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user

It is NOT my fault that the Foundation's implementation of GMane is not working properly.

The last post I made to;  gmane.network.tor.user  arrived in that news group within 15
minutes.

I have no plans to join an email list.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

bjlockie bjlockie

Re: 48 hours plus

On 09/10/11 12:17, David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Cor Nouws"<[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> David H. Lipman wrote (10-09-11 16:21)
>>
>>> How do you think this post was made ?
>>> Or the posts I made in "JRE older installs - Windows - now online - no need for Oracle
>>> account" ?
>> Your posts to the users-list come in the moderation cue. Each of your posts ask help of
>> the volunteers to get to the list. Maybe you would be so kind to make sure that you are
>> subscribed to the list?
>>
>> If you want to send mails, without receiving, since you post via Gmane, you can
>> subscribe with a mail to [hidden email].
>> A confirmation mail will be send to you (if you don't see it, check the spamm box) Reply
>> to that mail (with the same mail address of course)
>>
>> Thanks a lot&  kind regards,
>> Cor Nouws
>>
> I use;  news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
>
> It is NOT my fault that the Foundation's implementation of GMane is not working properly.
>
> The last post I made to;  gmane.network.tor.user  arrived in that news group within 15
> minutes.
>
> I have no plans to join an email list.

Because you're not subscribed, each post you make has to be manually
approved by someone.
They encourage people to subscribe as a method to combat spam (if people
have to subscribe, it is less likely they're a spammer).
gmane is working fine, you would experience the same delay if you sent
directly to the list from any unsubscribed email address.

I think you could subscribe but not receive email from the list.
> Some special-case subscribers might want to be able to post to a list
> but might not want to receive messages from that list (community
> contributors who post announcements, for instance). In this case,
> please subscribe to the so-called "nomail" version of the list by
> attaching -nomail to the normal subscription address. For example, to
> do this for The Document Foundation general discussions list, the
> subscription address would be:
> [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.

Nuno J. Silva Nuno J. Silva

Re: 48 hours plus

On 2011-09-10, David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Cor Nouws" <[hidden email]>
>> David H. Lipman wrote (10-09-11 16:21)
>>
>>> How do you think this post was made ?
>>> Or the posts I made in "JRE older installs - Windows - now online - no need for Oracle
>>> account" ?
>>
>> Your posts to the users-list come in the moderation cue. Each of your posts ask help of
>> the volunteers to get to the list. Maybe you would be so kind to make sure that you are
>> subscribed to the list?
>>
>> If you want to send mails, without receiving, since you post via Gmane, you can
>> subscribe with a mail to [hidden email].
>> A confirmation mail will be send to you (if you don't see it, check the spamm box) Reply
>> to that mail (with the same mail address of course)
>
> I use;  news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
>
> It is NOT my fault that the Foundation's implementation of GMane is
> not working properly.

Using Gmane for some groups generally implies

1. Registering with Gmane in that group (it automatically sends you a
message if you never wrote to that group before)
2. Registering with the list itself

It apparently is not the case with this list -- you can still post if
you're not registered, but you get through moderation.

But shorter posting delays and less work for the moderation team are
just an e-mail away.

> The last post I made to;  gmane.network.tor.user  arrived in that news group within 15
> minutes.

That group is flagged as moderated, too. So maybe you were just lucky
and the moderator happened to read your message just a few minutes after
it was sent.

> I have no plans to join an email list.

To use Gmane you already have to give your real e-mail, IIRC. So it's
not much of a privacy issue.

Please note that what Cor suggested was that you subscribe the *nomail*
version of the list. You will not be receiving list e-mails, but you
will be treated, from a moderation point of view, as a regular
subscriber.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg