[6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Gilles Gilles

[6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Hello,

Not sure how to to word this better: Some "Text Body" paragraphs are in
Arial Unicode MS 11 while others are in Liberation Serif 12.

I haven't found a way to have Writer set all Text Body to be  Liberation
Serif 12.

Is there a way to automate this?

Thank you.

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Hello,
First you must make sure your "Text Body" style is configured with
Liberation Serif 12. Then you have a few options:
Option 1: Select the text in Arial Unicode MS 11 and remove the direct
formatting (Format -> Clear Direct Formatting). If you are brave
enough, you can select the entire text in your document before doing
this. Note: this will work correctly if you have used the styles to do
your text effects: you most probably will have to re-do bold, italics,
etc. after selecting this option.
Option 2: Use Search and Replace. Place your cursor in the Find box and
then then click Format... Configure to Arial Unicode MS 11, then place
your cursor in the Replace box, hit Format... again and put Liberation
Serif 12. Then "Replace All". Probably a safer option...
Option 3: If the previous options did not work, select the text in
Arial, then cut it. Type something where you cut from and make sure the
font is as per your expectations; fix if not. Then paste your text back
with Paste -> Paste Special -> Paste unformatted text. You could do
this with your entire text, but this will force you to re-do headings,
lists, tables, and other text effects.
This probably happened because you did some cut/paste with another
document and the Arial font was used in the other document.. Over time,
I have learned to always "Paste Special" when I carry text from other
documents even if it means to re-do all the formatting in the
destination document.
I hope this helps.
Rémy.
Le dimanche 12 juillet 2020 à 11:31 -0700, Gilles a écrit :

> Hello,
> Not sure how to to word this better: Some "Text Body" paragraphs are
> inArial Unicode MS 11 while others are in Liberation Serif 12.
> I haven't found a way to have Writer set all Text Body to
> be  LiberationSerif 12.
> Is there a way to automate this?
> Thank you.
>

> --Sent from:
> http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

Gilles Gilles

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

remygauthier wrote
> Option 2: Use Search and Replace. Place your cursor in the Find box and
> then then click Format... Configure to Arial Unicode MS 11, then place
> your cursor in the Replace box, hit Format... again and put Liberation
> Serif 12. Then "Replace All". Probably a safer option...

Thanks.

I did copy/paste text from elsewhere (OCR) but used the Pure Text utility
when importing to make sure I only got unformatted text.

However, at some point, I made the wrong decision to use Arial Unicode MS 11
instead of Liberation Serif 12 for paragraphs. It shows when reading the
EPUB on my e-reader (the font is bigger:  https://postimg.cc/4Y9hv6B3
<https://postimg.cc/4Y9hv6B3>  ).

On closer scrutinity, some paragraphs are Default Text while others are Text
Body: Is there a way to turn all "Default Style" to "Text Body"? This option
seems unavailable in the Find & Replace dialog.

Gilles Gilles

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Also, I can't figure out what Styles > Update Selected Style actually do.

No infos in the online help.
https://help.libreoffice.org/6.4/en-US/text/swriter/main0000.html?System=WIN&DbPAR=WRITER

After changing the font + size in Styles > Edit Style > Apply, I assumed it
would change the font + size for all Default Text paragraphs, but nothing
happens.

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Hi Gilles,

Le 13/07/2020 à 10:39, Gilles a écrit :
> Also, I can't figure out what Styles > Update Selected Style actually do.
>
> No infos in the online help.
> https://help.libreoffice.org/6.4/en-US/text/swriter/main0000.html?System=WIN&DbPAR=WRITER
>
> After changing the font + size in Styles > Edit Style > Apply, I assumed it
> would change the font + size for all Default Text paragraphs, but nothing
> happens.

It does as it says: it updates the *currently selected paragraph*
according to changes made through direct formatting.

Say you've selected a paragraph that is in Text Body paragrah style. You
set its font DejaVu Sans 14. If you click the button, the underlying
Text Body style is set accordingly, thus every paragraph with this style
is immediately updated.

Best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Gilles Gilles

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote
> It does as it says: it updates the *currently selected paragraph*
> according to changes made through direct formatting.
>
> Say you've selected a paragraph that is in Text Body paragrah style. You
> set its font DejaVu Sans 14. If you click the button, the underlying
> Text Body style is set accordingly, thus every paragraph with this style
> is immediately updated.

Thanks but I still don't get it:
1. Selected paragraph set as "Default Style" in Arial Unicode MS 11
2. Styles > Edit Styles
3 . Changed to Liberation Serif 11
4. Hit "Apply": The other paragraphs set as "Default Style" aren't updated
(ie. still in Arial Unicode MS 11)
5. Hit OK
6. Styles > Update Selected Style: No change.

https://postimg.cc/fSYJMKx8

Regardless, is there a way to have LO Writer change all paragraphs set in
"Default Style" to "Text Body"? That's my main issue at this point.

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Hi.

On 14/07/20 7:06 am, Gilles wrote:

> Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote
>> It does as it says: it updates the *currently selected paragraph*
>> according to changes made through direct formatting.
>>
>> Say you've selected a paragraph that is in Text Body paragrah style. You
>> set its font DejaVu Sans 14. If you click the button, the underlying
>> Text Body style is set accordingly, thus every paragraph with this style
>> is immediately updated.
> Thanks but I still don't get it:
> 1. Selected paragraph set as "Default Style" in Arial Unicode MS 11
> 2. Styles > Edit Styles
> 3 . Changed to Liberation Serif 11
> 4. Hit "Apply": The other paragraphs set as "Default Style" aren't updated
> (ie. still in Arial Unicode MS 11)
> 5. Hit OK
> 6. Styles > Update Selected Style: No change.
>
> https://postimg.cc/fSYJMKx8
>
> Regardless, is there a way to have LO Writer change all paragraphs set in
> "Default Style" to "Text Body"? That's my main issue at this point.

Possibly first you need to make sure that there is no direct formatting
applied to the paragraphs as this will override the style setting.
Note that clearing direct formatting will clear any bolding/italics and
super/sub scripts.

Gilles Gilles

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

steveedmonds wrote
> Possibly first you need to make sure that there is no direct formatting
> applied to the paragraphs as this will override the style setting. Note
> that clearing direct formatting will clear any bolding/italics and
> super/sub scripts.

Good to know, thanks for the tip (that's Format > Clear Direct Formating,
CTRL+M).

Is there a way to turn all paragraphs from Default Style to Text Body in one
go?  Having to do this for all paragraphs over 200 pages doesn't sound like
fun.

Andrew Pitonyak Andrew Pitonyak

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

On Monday, July 13, 2020 16:26 EDT, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
 steveedmonds wrote
> Possibly first you need to make sure that there is no direct formatting
> applied to the paragraphs as this will override the style setting. Note
> that clearing direct formatting will clear any bolding/italics and
> super/sub scripts.

Good to know, thanks for the tip (that's Format > Clear Direct Formating,
CTRL+M).

Is there a way to turn all paragraphs from Default Style to Text Body in one
go? Having to do this for all paragraphs over 200 pages doesn't sound like
fun.
 You can do this with search and replace.

Gilles Gilles

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Gilles Gilles

Re: [6.4.2.2] How to set same font + size for all Text Body paragraphs?

Lessons learned:
1. By default, LO uses "Default Text" for formatting: Make sure you use Text
Body for parapgraphs
2. Make sure you do no not change formatting locally, eg. changing the font
size: Use Styles for this
3. To remove local changes, select the text, and hit CTRL+M ("Clear Direct
Formatting"). If the document contains a ToC, do not select it, as it will
prevent LO from performing that action.

https://postimg.cc/9rVLbVh4

wiebe wiebe

On 14-07-2020 08:56, Gilles wrote:
> Lessons learned:
> 3. To remove local changes, select the text, and hit CTRL+M ("Clear Direct
> Formatting").

Like a pasted HTML table in calc and then > ctrl-a > ctrl-m.

I am still confused why ctrl-m is removed. A bit off topic, but was that
a bug? Is there a very good reason to do this? Or was it an action I
better not label?