A Fresher Needs Help in Contributing

Aditya Sahu Aditya Sahu

A Fresher Needs Help in Contributing

Hi, I'm an engineering student from India. I'm interested in participating in GSoC by contributing in LibreOffice. I'm having some trouble understanding the code, and as to where do I start contributing. I need help taking my first step towards open source community. (I have knowledge of C++)
Help Appreciated; Thanks in advance.

kara kara

Re: A Fresher Needs Help in Contributing

Hi Aditya,

On 08/22/2018 08:05 PM, Aditya Sahu wrote:
Hi, I'm an engineering student from India. I'm interested in participating in GSoC by contributing in LibreOffice. I'm having some trouble understanding the code, and as to where do I start contributing. I need help taking my first step towards open source community. (I have knowledge of C++)
Help Appreciated; Thanks in advance.

Welcome! It is good to see you here! And GSoC is a very good opportunity to dive into the FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) world.

Getting in-to/Understanding a project which has a gigantic code-base like LibreOffice might seem intimidating at first, but fear not! It will become easier and easier as you gain experience.

Nobody understands the whole code in detail, but we have many core developers who each know part of the code in detail. This step by step guide shows an easy way going from "wanting to contribute" to successfully have the first patch merged to master: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GetInvolved

Best,
Muhammet