A LibreOffice team for Folding@home

Spyros Spyros

A LibreOffice team for Folding@home

Hello,

I found recently that a Folding@home [0] team under the LibreOffice name
exists. I started contributing to it but did not create it (I assume
credits for that should go to wget).

Team: LibreOffice
Team ID: 260680
Stats: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/260680

It just entered the top 15,000 teams (out of 250,000) based on total
activity.

I wonder if there would be interest in promoting it on social media (TDF
blog, Facebook, Twitter etc.), so interested folders of the community could
contribute if they know it exists. Due to the coronavirus pandemic,
interest at F@h has multiplied in the last month, going from ~560,000
completed work units per week to ~10,000,000 WU/week and in the process
becoming the first exaFLOP computing system.

FWIW, I noticed in the list archives that there was precedent with a
similar team for BOINC [1]. Maybe a Wiki page with all the relevant
information should be similarly created?

Best regards,
Spyros

[0]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
[1]: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/marketing/msg10922.html

Uwe Altmann Uwe Altmann

Re: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home

Hi
Am 18.04.20 um 02:58 schrieb Spyros:
> I found recently that a Folding@home [0] team under the LibreOffice name
> exists. I started contributing to it but did not create it (I assume
> credits for that should go to wget).
>
> Team: LibreOffice
> Team ID: 260680
> Stats: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/260680

Great, just joined :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Uwe Altmann

sophie sophie

Le 18/04/2020 à 12:53, Uwe Altmann a écrit :

> Hi
> Am 18.04.20 um 02:58 schrieb Spyros:
>> I found recently that a Folding@home [0] team under the LibreOffice name
>> exists. I started contributing to it but did not create it (I assume
>> credits for that should go to wget).
>>
>> Team: LibreOffice
>> Team ID: 260680
>> Stats: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/260680
>
> Great, just joined :-)

I couldn't find any discussion about opening the group there however.
When acting under LibreOffice name, whatever the cause, it would be good
to inform and discuss it with the community before...

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

William Gathoye (LibreOffice) William Gathoye (LibreOffice)

Re: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home

Writing this down in a persistent mailing list. Chat instances are volatile.

On 20/04/2020 10:01, sophi wrote:

> I couldn't find any discussion about opening the group there however.
> When acting under LibreOffice name, whatever the cause, it would be good
> to inform and discuss it with the community before...

Like discussed on Telegram, when something is trending everywhere you
need to act in quite an urgency. Seeing the LibreOffice team name being
taken by someone not from the community would have been more annoying to
recover afterwards.[1] The same applies basically with everything for
which asking for agreement would take an eternity to resolve.[2] Time
flies faster on social media than in real life.

Stopping here because I could do other things more meaningful for the
community instead of quibbling for basically no reason.

But I'm keeping your remark with great attention in my head. My huge
number of mails with @libreoffice.org is indeed a problem I need to
resolve fast. I'm receiving more of them than I can answer a day
unfortunately. :(

Hard work pays off :)

Let's keep the hard work rolling =)

Regards,

[1] cf. libreoffice.fr
[2] https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/msg15684.html

--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice

William Gathoye (LibreOffice) William Gathoye (LibreOffice)

Re: What Can LibreOffice Do To Fight COVID-19? (was: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home)

On 18/04/2020 02:58, Spyros wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found recently that a Folding@home [0] team under the LibreOffice name
> exists. I started contributing to it but did not create it (I assume
> credits for that should go to wget).

Hi there :)

Indeed, I'm "wget" :)

I wanted to do the introduction of the Folding@home idea to the
community yesterday, but it appears you were faster than me at doing
this. I initially thought that the LibreOffice team would be unnoticed,
but it went noticed after all. And that's great! :)

# The story behind the creation of the LibreOffice team

For the record, as I'm preparing slowly but surly a server farm at home
(fully resilient network, power supply, etc.) for virtual hackathons[1]
for the LibreOfficeFR[2] community, I needed to test some servers and
instead of putting some load on the machine for basically nothing, I
thought to Folding@Home. :)

As folding under no-name would have been a waste, I thought it could be
nice to leverage this for LibreOffice =)

I saw there was no LibreOffice team :( and the team name was free for
anyone to take :/. Seeing the LibreOffice team name being taken by
someone not from the community would have been more annoying to recover
afterwards, I decided to register it :)

# What LibreOffice can do to fight COVID-19?

"@libreoffice has been very helpful for @openlung and the #openlung
project. #engineers #researchers and #doctors  can share their ideas
more fluidly using this freely available, open source office suite
software."

From a marketing POV, this nice tweet we get is interesting for a big
reason: momentum[3].

As plenty of companies are publishing "what we do to fight COVID-19"
banners everywhere, let's leverage on this and say: what could
LibreOffice do to help them (the researchers) and fight COVID-19?

Even if I don't want to be cliché, we are devs and contributors, we are
already staying at home most of the time =D. How can we bring this even
further?

So the idea is to publish a campaign on social media and on our blog and
ask our users to fold under the name of LibreOffice to help research. (I
can provide beautiful eye-catching social media images, since
LibreOfficeFR has now a license with icons8.com.)

We should also provide a video explaining how to use the Folding@home
software to fold under the name of LibreOffice. My new graphic card is
arriving on April 27th though, so I'll have a hard time doing this in a
short period of time :/.

# Ask the infra team

Also, but we need to see this with the infra team, maybe we could
leverage the build servers we have to help with folding as I imagine
these are not always being used 100% of the time? The app of
Folding@home is detecting when the machine is being used. IIRC, we can
also define specific time periods.

Having the LibreOffice team trending will be great. Arch Linux is
participating, why not LibreOffice?

Regards,

[1] Will do a dedicate announcement on that later when ready. I'm
operating the hardware, software but also the network as my own network
operator. All of this is taking time but is educational and built on the
skills I acquired when I had my dev company. :)
[2] Maybe the wider community?
[3] https://mobile.twitter.com/simplyacreative/status/1248404853535080448
--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice
Proud member of The Document Foundation
Member of LaMouette - French based association promoting ODF and LibreOffice

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: What Can LibreOffice Do To Fight COVID-19? (was: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home)

I think this is great.

Perhaps it would make sense to update this wiki page with some information.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Boinc

Or perhaps create a page more generic to this type of CPU sharing use and
have homefolding and boinc as sub-pages.

Anyway, will join in the homefolding work with one of the machines here at
the house.

Best wishes,

Drew

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 5:56 PM William Gathoye (LibreOffice) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Folding@home is detecting when the machine is being used. IIRC, we can
> also define specific time periods.
>

> Having the LibreOffice team trending will be great. Arch Linux is
> participating, why not LibreOffice?
>
> Regards,
>

> [1] Will do a dedicate announcement on that later when ready. I'm
> operating the hardware, software but also the network as my own network
> operator. All of this is taking time but is educational and built on the
> skills I acquired when I had my dev company. :)
> [2] Maybe the wider community?
> [3] https://mobile.twitter.com/simplyacreative/status/1248404853535080448
> --
> William Gathoye
> Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice
> Proud member of The Document Foundation
> Member of LaMouette - French based association promoting ODF and

Spyros Spyros

Re: What Can LibreOffice Do To Fight COVID-19? (was: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home)

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 02:35, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think this is great.
>
> Perhaps it would make sense to update this wiki page with some information.
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Boinc

Or perhaps create a page more generic to this type of CPU sharing use and
> have homefolding and boinc as sub-pages.

I'll try to create a Folding@home page at the Wiki if no one objects. I'm
having a few problems logging in (I created my account before the TDF
Single Sign On and even though I made a global account today I'm still
getting an authentication error) so for now I uploaded a preliminary version
at Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/raw/kRTRuz5z

Best regards,
Spyros

P.S. We just entered the top 10,000 teams at F@h.

sophie sophie

Le 21/04/2020 à 22:11, William Gathoye (LibreOffice) a écrit :

> Writing this down in a persistent mailing list. Chat instances are volatile.
>
> On 20/04/2020 10:01, sophi wrote:
>
>> I couldn't find any discussion about opening the group there however.
>> When acting under LibreOffice name, whatever the cause, it would be good
>> to inform and discuss it with the community before...
>
> Like discussed on Telegram, when something is trending everywhere you
> need to act in quite an urgency. Seeing the LibreOffice team name being
> taken by someone not from the community would have been more annoying to
> recover afterwards.[1] The same applies basically with everything for
> which asking for agreement would take an eternity to resolve.[2] Time
> flies faster on social media than in real life.

You should *always* discuss with the community before opening *any*
service under the name of LibreOffice or TDF. When you engage the
responsibility of the whole project a second thought is *always* needed.
After, like Mastodon, it's too late and damages are done to the community.

> Stopping here because I could do other things more meaningful for the
> community instead of quibbling for basically no reason.

For no reason? do you think that engaging the project without notifying
the list for a second look is something that could be called quibbling?

> But I'm keeping your remark with great attention in my head. My huge
> number of mails with @libreoffice.org is indeed a problem I need to
> resolve fast. I'm receiving more of them than I can answer a day
> unfortunately. :(

And spending time to correct what you did wrong take also a lot of time,
so please consult the community before sending blogs or subscribing the
project to services. We could avoid a lot of work correcting the bad
effects afterwards.

Sophie
--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Foundation coordinator
The Document Foundation

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: What Can LibreOffice Do To Fight COVID-19? (was: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home)

OK - reading the wiki page at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Folding@home just now.

Added a link to that page on the BOINC page See Also, also.

Will share away on SM.

Best wishes,
Drew

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:57 PM Spyros <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 02:35, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I think this is great.
>>
>> Perhaps it would make sense to update this wiki page with some
>> information.
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Boinc
>>

> Or perhaps create a page more generic to this type of CPU sharing use and
>> have homefolding and boinc as sub-pages.
>>

> I'll try to create a Folding@home page at the Wiki if no one objects. I'm
> having a few problems logging in (I created my account before the TDF
> Single Sign On and even though I made a global account today I'm still
> getting an authentication error) so for now I uploaded a preliminary
> version at Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/raw/kRTRuz5z
>
> Best regards,
> Spyros
>
> P.S. We just entered the top 10,000 teams at F@h.

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: What Can LibreOffice Do To Fight COVID-19? (was: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home)

Put together a quick graphic which incorporates stats from both the LibrO
Crunchers BOINC teams and the LIbreOffice FOLDING@HOME team to use for a
couple SM posts.
Including this at Twitter
https://twitter.com/LibreOfficeUS/status/1253204548308668424

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:30 PM Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> OK - reading the wiki page at
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Folding@home just now.
>
> Added a link to that page on the BOINC page See Also, also.
>
> Will share away on SM.
>
> Best wishes,
> Drew
>

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:57 PM Spyros <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 02:35, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think this is great.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it would make sense to update this wiki page with some
>>> information.
>>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Boinc
>>>

>> Or perhaps create a page more generic to this type of CPU sharing use and
>>> have homefolding and boinc as sub-pages.
>>>

>> I'll try to create a Folding@home page at the Wiki if no one objects.
>> I'm having a few problems logging in (I created my account before the TDF
>> Single Sign On and even though I made a global account today I'm still
>> getting an authentication error) so for now I uploaded a preliminary
>> version at Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/raw/kRTRuz5z
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Spyros
>>
>> P.S. We just entered the top 10,000 teams at F@h.

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: What Can LibreOffice Do To Fight COVID-19? (was: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home)

Hey Drew,

On 23/04/2020 08:28, Drew Jensen wrote:

> Put together a quick graphic which incorporates stats from both the LibrO
> Crunchers BOINC teams and the LIbreOffice FOLDING@HOME team to use for a
> couple SM posts.
> Including this at Twitter
> https://twitter.com/LibreOfficeUS/status/1253204548308668424

Good work, thanks -- I've retweeted from @LibreOffice:

https://twitter.com/libreoffice/status/1253232748409610241

Cheers,
Mike

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: What Can LibreOffice Do To Fight COVID-19? (was: A LibreOffice team for Folding@home)

Howdy William

Noticed this article,
https://www.hpcwire.com/2020/04/22/billion-molecules-against-covid-19-challenge-to-launch-with-massive-supercomputing-support/
and it looked like a good candidate for a share as part of another call to
join the with LibreOffice team since Folding@home will be taking part
according to article and it has a good focus for LibreOffice users in
Europe.

Not that it wouldn't also appeal to others and as I was looking to share it
also was looking at the Team stats page and noticed the Project URL is
probably not doing what you intended it to do.

On the BOINC team stat pages I have that pointing to the BOINC wiki page,
but I'm thinking maybe the main website would be a better choice.

What do you think on that - LO website or the FOLDING/BOINC wiki pages?

Best wishes,

Drew