A Whiteboard template

mirek2 mirek2

A Whiteboard template

Hi everyone,
Today's IRC meeting has come to the conclusion that the Whiteboards we have
need unified structure, one that is easy to look through for both
developers and designers, one that's not too wordy, and one that can hold
multiple proposals for solutions to the problem the Whiteboard deals with.
We've also agreed that the whiteboard should be a place for describing the
problem and proposed solutions only, while all comments, thoughts, and
debate should take place on the mailing list.

The tentative proposal for the template is at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Mirek2#Tentative_Whiteboard_Template.

Please respond to this message with comments, suggestions, or simply a "+1"
-- I'd like to get this wrapped up by the end of next week so that we can
get started with cleaning up the current whiteboards.

Ross-2 Ross-2

Re: A Whiteboard template

+1

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Today's IRC meeting has come to the conclusion that the Whiteboards we have
> need unified structure, one that is easy to look through for both
> developers and designers, one that's not too wordy, and one that can hold
> multiple proposals for solutions to the problem the Whiteboard deals with.
> We've also agreed that the whiteboard should be a place for describing the
> problem and proposed solutions only, while all comments, thoughts, and
> debate should take place on the mailing list.
>
> The tentative proposal for the template is at
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Mirek2#Tentative_Whiteboard_Template
> .
>
> Please respond to this message with comments, suggestions, or simply a "+1"
> -- I'd like to get this wrapped up by the end of next week so that we can
> get started with cleaning up the current whiteboards.

Ross Baker
[hidden email]
876-413-8238 JM
954-399-2701 US
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/addnetjamaica>

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: A Whiteboard template

+1.

Sorry for today, I wasn't at home (I should have been but I had to help a
friend.)
I keep my choices as they are in the doodle !

Kévin

2012/4/1 Ross <[hidden email]>

> +1
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> > Today's IRC meeting has come to the conclusion that the Whiteboards we
> have
> > need unified structure, one that is easy to look through for both
> > developers and designers, one that's not too wordy, and one that can hold
> > multiple proposals for solutions to the problem the Whiteboard deals
> with.
> > We've also agreed that the whiteboard should be a place for describing
> the
> > problem and proposed solutions only, while all comments, thoughts, and
> > debate should take place on the mailing list.
> >
> > The tentative proposal for the template is at
> >

> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Mirek2#Tentative_Whiteboard_Template
> > .
> >
> > Please respond to this message with comments, suggestions, or simply a
> "+1"
> > -- I'd like to get this wrapped up by the end of next week so that we can
> > get started with cleaning up the current whiteboards.
> >
> > --
> > deleted
> >

> --
>

> Ross Baker
> [hidden email]
> 876-413-8238 JM
> 954-399-2701 US
> Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/addnetjamaica>

Andrew Pullins Andrew Pullins

Re: A Whiteboard template

Sorry I was at church and was unable... did not even know we had a meeting
today.

Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: A Whiteboard template

+1

Am 01.04.2012 19:06, schrieb Mirek M.:

> Hi everyone,
> Today's IRC meeting has come to the conclusion that the Whiteboards we have
> need unified structure, one that is easy to look through for both
> developers and designers, one that's not too wordy, and one that can hold
> multiple proposals for solutions to the problem the Whiteboard deals with.
> We've also agreed that the whiteboard should be a place for describing the
> problem and proposed solutions only, while all comments, thoughts, and
> debate should take place on the mailing list.
>
> The tentative proposal for the template is at
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Mirek2#Tentative_Whiteboard_Template.
>
> Please respond to this message with comments, suggestions, or simply a "+1"
> -- I'd like to get this wrapped up by the end of next week so that we can
> get started with cleaning up the current whiteboards.

Rafael Rocha Daud Rafael Rocha Daud

Re: A Whiteboard template

+1 here.
Although I wasn't able to understand all of it. It looks very lean and
clean but there doesn't seem to be much space dedicated to the proposals
themselves, proportionally; I guess this is just because the proposals
are really empty for now, I suppose it'll work just fine once filled.
I'm not sure if the proposal part should or could be a little more
detailed, also.
I don't quite get the Personas part either. Is this to list people
interested and/or working in the proposals?
And lastly: is "favorite links" a part from the whiteboard template? If
so, I guess the "relevant art" part should be merged with it. If not,
then I guess the "relevant art" could be expanded to include links, and
moved somewhere near the "bug" and "discussion" parts, because they're
all motivation/inspiration of whatever proposal that comes after.
Kudos for the "scope" part. This is where I always get lost...

Apart from that, sorry for not being able to show up for the IRC
meeting. It's a little early in this part of the globe, and I needed the
extra sleep. I intend to participate in the next ones, though.

Cheers./

Em 02-04-2012 05:00, "Mirek M." <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hi everyone,
> Today's IRC meeting has come to the conclusion that the Whiteboards we have
> need unified structure, one that is easy to look through for both
> developers and designers, one that's not too wordy, and one that can hold
> multiple proposals for solutions to the problem the Whiteboard deals with.
> We've also agreed that the whiteboard should be a place for describing the
> problem and proposed solutions only, while all comments, thoughts, and
> debate should take place on the mailing list.
>
> The tentative proposal for the template is at
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Mirek2#Tentative_Whiteboard_Template.
>
> Please respond to this message with comments, suggestions, or simply a "+1"
> -- I'd like to get this wrapped up by the end of next week so that we can
> get started with cleaning up the current whiteboards.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: A Whiteboard template

2012/4/3 Rafael Rocha Daud <[hidden email]>

> +1 here.
> Although I wasn't able to understand all of it. It looks very lean and
> clean but there doesn't seem to be much space dedicated to the proposals
> themselves, proportionally; I guess this is just because the proposals are
> really empty for now, I suppose it'll work just fine once filled. I'm not
> sure if the proposal part should or could be a little more detailed, also.

I added a few details under the Proposals section [1].

> I don't quite get the Personas part either. Is this to list people
> interested and/or working in the proposals?

No. It lists theoretical users with different personalities, computer
skills, and/or usage scenarios, and the way the issue relates to them.

And lastly: is "favorite links" a part from the whiteboard template?

No, that was part of my user page.

> If so, I guess the "relevant art" part should be merged with it. If not,
> then I guess the "relevant art" could be expanded to include links, and
> moved somewhere near the "bug" and "discussion" parts, because they're all
> motivation/inspiration of whatever proposal that comes after.

Kudos for the "scope" part. This is where I always get lost...

:)

[1] https://wiki.**documentfoundation.org/User:**
Mirek2#Tentative_Whiteboard_**Template<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Mirek2#Tentative_Whiteboard_Template>
.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: A Whiteboard template

Hi Mirek, all,

I noticed that Gnome have these nice stars to signify what stage a
proposal is in, so I wanted to do something similar. Thus, in the last
couple minutes I fixed up this status "timeline" (not a real timeline
since multiple states can be active at once):

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Astron/Whiteboard_Template

How do you like it? How do you feel about the states that are in it?

Astron.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: A Whiteboard template

2012/4/7 Stefan Knorr (Astron) <[hidden email]>

> Hi Mirek, all,
>
> I noticed that Gnome have these nice stars to signify what stage a
> proposal is in, so I wanted to do something similar. Thus, in the last
> couple minutes I fixed up this status "timeline" (not a real timeline
> since multiple states can be active at once):
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Astron/Whiteboard_Template
>
> How do you like it? How do you feel about the states that are in it?

I like the general idea, though I'd prefer to use "call for proposals" or
something along those lines rather than "designs wanted" so that we use the
term "proposals" (same as the section name), then have something like
"analysis of proposals", for when we're discussing the pros and cons of
each proposal, but not developing a single design yet, then have "design
taking shape", then I'd have "implementation in progress" (as the
whiteboard is there mainly for tracking design progress, not development
progress), and then "implemented".

I put it up on the whiteboard template. (BTW, I found the highlight color a
bit too bright, so I toned it down a bit.)

> Astron.

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: A Whiteboard template

Hi Mirek,

thanks for the feedback. I've updated my page accordingly.

> I like the general idea, though I'd prefer to use "call for proposals" or
> something along those lines rather than "designs wanted" so that we use the
> term "proposals" (same as the section name), then have something like
> "analysis of proposals", for when we're discussing the pros and cons of

Like "discussing" more...

> each proposal, but not developing a single design yet, then have "design
> taking shape"

I'd favour something like "finali[sz]ing proposal". "Taking shape"
sounds as if there wasn't anything substantial yet (but I'd hope there
is).

> I put it up on the whiteboard template. (BTW, I found the highlight color a
> bit too bright, so I toned it down a bit.)

Sure. Might even help with accessibility. Although it might be good to
use our branding colours here, see [1].

I've updated my page to reflect your feedback.

Astron.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Color_Table