A more usable default setup

Daniel Hulse Daniel Hulse

A more usable default setup

Hi,
I posted my current Libreoffice setup to Google+ and people seemed to like it, so I decided to talk about it some here.
I am finding the sidebar to be very usable, and so I thought it would be a good idea to see what implementing it would have on the rest of the interface. Right of the bat, the formatting toolbar becomes redundant as all of those buttons are already in the sidebar. So I removed the formatting toolbar. Then, because the sidebar includes the navigator, gallery, and styles and formatting toolboxes in them, I removed those buttons from the standard toolbar.

From there, I decided it would be good to remove some of the bloat from the standard toolbar. Some of this is kind of subjective, but I stand by my choices anyway:
*First off, cut/copy/paste is not needed in the standard toolbar, because those actions are almost always dependent on some location in the document--people usually use the right click to perform those actions in any application.
*Zoom was removed since there is already an ability to zoom in the lower-right corner.
*Save As, Page preview, and the spelling and grammar buttons were removed not necessarily because I think the functionality is not important, but because they don't merit their own icons. If anything, they should be merged with the save, print, and autospellcheck buttons. (that, or the autospellcheck icon should be moved to the status bar at the bottom.)
*Hyperlink, table, show draw functions, and edit file were removed because I didn't see them being used very often, especially when table is an entire menu to itself.
* I also moved the icons such that after open it goes save, exporting as pdf, print, email. This was done because saving and exporting, exporting and printing, and printing and emailing are each conceptually similar. In short, the order felt more natural.

Anyway, without too much more explanation, here's a screenshot of what was achieved, in writer, impress, calc, and draw: http://imgur.com/a/XyN4O
(In my Google+ post, I used the flat icon set, but it wasn't working properly, so instead I used the default galaxy set)

Here are some things I think were achieved:
*'back' and 'forward' are closer to the left side where most people are used to them being in web browsers, file managers, and the like.
*A more natural order of icons
*more minimalism -- the long toolbar of icons is less daunting than it was before, doesn't have to hide icons when viewed on lower-resolution monitors, and there is a space for people to add their own toolbars without making another row.

Thoughts?
steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: A more usable default setup

On 2013-09-10 18:12, Daniel Hulse wrote:

> Hi,
> I posted my current Libreoffice setup to Google+ and people seemed to like
> it, so I decided to talk about it some here.
> I am finding the sidebar to be very usable, and so I thought it would be a
> good idea to see what implementing it would have on the rest of the
> interface. Right of the bat, the formatting toolbar becomes redundant as all
> of those buttons are already in the sidebar. So I removed the formatting
> toolbar. Then, because the sidebar includes the navigator, gallery, and
> styles and formatting toolboxes in them, I removed those buttons from the
> standard toolbar.
>
> >From there, I decided it would be good to remove some of the bloat from the
> standard toolbar. Some of this is kind of subjective, but I stand by my
> choices anyway:
> *First off, cut/copy/paste is not needed in the standard toolbar, because
> those actions are almost always dependent on some location in the
> document--people usually use the right click to perform those actions in any
> application.
> *Zoom was removed since there is already an ability to zoom in the
> lower-right corner.
> *Save As, Page preview, and the spelling and grammar buttons were removed
> not necessarily because I think the functionality is not important, but
> because they don't merit their own icons. If anything, they should be merged
> with the save, print, and autospellcheck buttons. (that, or the
> autospellcheck icon should be moved to the status bar at the bottom.)
> *Hyperlink, table, show draw functions, and edit file were removed because I
> didn't see them being used very often, especially when table is an entire
> menu to itself.
> * I also moved the icons such that after open it goes save, exporting as
> pdf, print, email. This was done because saving and exporting, exporting and
> printing, and printing and emailing are each conceptually similar. In short,
> the order felt more natural.
>
> Anyway, without too much more explanation, here's a screenshot of what was
> achieved, in writer, impress, calc, and draw: http://imgur.com/a/XyN4O
> <http://imgur.com/a/XyN4O>
> (In my Google+ post, I used the flat icon set, but it wasn't working
> properly, so instead I used the default galaxy set)
>
> Here are some things I think were achieved:
> *'back' and 'forward' are closer to the left side where most people are used
> to them being in web browsers, file managers, and the like.
> *A more natural order of icons
> *more minimalism -- the long toolbar of icons is less daunting than it was
> before, doesn't have to hide icons when viewed on lower-resolution monitors,
> and there is a space for people to add their own toolbars without making
> another row.
>
> Thoughts?
Hi Daniel.
For me a design with a side bar should be optional to suit different
peoples tastes or work flows. I don't run applications full screen and
want application frames (windows) to be as narrow as possible to be able
to view multiple applications at once. I am most frequently writing
about a spread sheet, diagram or document that I have open next to the
document I am writing and the extra width of the side bar would be a
hindrance.
Steve

Daniel Hulse Daniel Hulse

Re: A more usable default setup

Right.
While the sidebar might be hindering to how you work, I'm not sure your workflow is representative of everyone as a whole. Most monitors are widescreen today, and allow a good amount of the page to be displayed even with a sidebar. Also, the sidebar allows you to perform many actions that would be hidden when the window was resized anyway.

Libreoffice should be able to accommodate many different styles of working, though, and it still would. You could still hide the sidebar and enable as many toolbars as you want. What I am talking about here is what should be shown by default.

Now, something that would be good  for people used to the old setup and for people with less screen real estate would be to to put a toggle switch in the standard toolbar to switch between having the sidebar and standard toolbar displayed.

It's something to think about anyway.
-Daniel

On 2013-09-13 11:30, Daniel Hulse wrote:
> Now, something that would be good  for people used to the old setup and for
> people with less screen real estate would be to to put a toggle switch in
> the standard toolbar to switch between having the sidebar and standard
> toolbar displayed.
I like that idea,
steve