A "Sort" problem...

zed zed

A "Sort" problem...

Using LibreOffice 3.3.1 on LinuxMint Debian Edition (LMDE)

I have created a spreadsheet in Calc as a  Customer database, which I will
save as a CSV file and use to create form letters.

The columns are: Firstname, Surname, Street, Town, City, Postcode,
Salutation.

I originally sorted them Surname, Firstname, Town and got what I expected.
However, somehow I have made a complete "pigs ear" with a subsequent sort,
and for the life of me I cannot remember the three fields on which I chose
to sort, and the Salutation field is now not aligned with the correct
surname.  For example, the customer name is Faye Abel and the Salutation
should be Dear Faye.  However it is Dear Marion!

My question is, apart from completely retyping the correct Salutation, is
there any sort method by which i can have the correct salutation aligned
with the correct surname?

Zed
--
Zed
Bachelor: A guy who has cheated a woman out of a divorce.

Tom Tom

off-list 2 Re: [libreoffice-users] A "Sort" problem...

Hi :)

I have just noticed details of the example you gave.  You might be in luck!
Most of us have suffered from the problem at one time or another so you are NOT
alone! :)

Please email me the spreadsheet before going any further in case it goes
horribly wrong.  Or at least take a back-up.  Just back-up by making a copy
under a different name.  I generally add the date in reverse date-order so that
customers.xls
is backed-up as
customers-2011-04-15.xls
I try to copy one of these to a different machine every few months or sooner if
i update it a lot.

When sorting a spreadsheet you have to be careful because the columns are
independant of each other, unlike in a database.  So, see the row numbers at the
far left?  Click on one of those and it selects the whole row.  Then scroll all
the way down to the bottom of the spreadsheet and press the shift key while
clicking the row at the bottom.  Now all the rows should all be selected.  If
all the rows are wholly selected then sorting will keep all the information on
each row together.  another way of selecting all the rows in the entire
spreadsheet is to press the Ctrl key and A (Ctrl A) or to click the little
square at the top (ish) left, just above the row numbers and to the left of the
column letters.  The disadvantage is that there are probably a LOT of blank
rows.

If you want to try using a datbase then you can use the spreadsheet as it's
data-source ;) so you have already created the table.  I would NOT do that until
after getting the rows right again!
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

________________________________

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: A "Sort" problem...

Am 15.04.2011 01:44, Zed wrote:

> Using LibreOffice 3.3.1 on LinuxMint Debian Edition (LMDE)
>
> I have created a spreadsheet in Calc as a  Customer database, which I will
> save as a CSV file and use to create form letters.
>
> The columns are: Firstname, Surname, Street, Town, City, Postcode,
> Salutation.
>
> I originally sorted them Surname, Firstname, Town and got what I expected.
> However, somehow I have made a complete "pigs ear" with a subsequent sort,
> and for the life of me I cannot remember the three fields on which I chose
> to sort, and the Salutation field is now not aligned with the correct
> surname.  For example, the customer name is Faye Abel and the Salutation
> should be Dear Faye.  However it is Dear Marion!
>
> My question is, apart from completely retyping the correct Salutation, is
> there any sort method by which i can have the correct salutation aligned
> with the correct surname?
>
> Zed

Your mail merge is based on a database document which reads the csv
files for any text or spreadsheet document. You can use the database
interface in the data source window (F4) or mail merge dialog for
sorting, filtering and/or picking manually selected row sets.
You can also define fixed sort orders and/or filters by means of
queries. A query derives a virtual table where the original table data
can be shown in any order of rows and columns. Queries are stored in the
database and they can be used in the same way the original tables.