A web page for TDF/LibreOffice store

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

A web page for TDF/LibreOffice store

Hi,

I am sorry, if you already discuss this:

this is partially related to marketing.
As we need funds we could start a DTF/LibreOffice store, that people can by
Libreoffice Tshirts, Caps, etc.

This is not a simple task but we should start this as early as possible.

Thanks
--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: A web page for TDF/LibreOffice store

Le 2010-12-01 14:06, Danishka Navin a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am sorry, if you already discuss this:
>
> this is partially related to marketing.
> As we need funds we could start a DTF/LibreOffice store, that people can by
> Libreoffice Tshirts, Caps, etc.
>
> This is not a simple task but we should start this as early as possible.
>
> Thanks

Actually, we did speak of it really quickly but not enough.

IMO, yes, we should make a page for the LO store. We should maybe just
consider it for the Drupal site for now. People would not expect if to
appear right away at the first appearance of the LibreOffice suite. We
also need to work on what we really would like to market and what is
written on the items.

Good point though.

Marc

Wheatbix Wheatbix

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 2010-12-01 14:06, Danishka Navin a écrit :
>
> > As we need funds we could start a DTF/LibreOffice store, that people can by
> > Libreoffice Tshirts, Caps, etc.
>
> IMO, yes, we should make a page for the LO store. We should maybe just
> consider it for the Drupal site for now. People would not expect if to
> appear right away at the first appearance of the LibreOffice suite. We
> also need to work on what we really would like to market and what is
> written on the items.

Drupal has one of the most powerful open source shopping systems
around: Ubercart:
http://www.ubercart.org/

It would not be that difficult to set up.

Michael Wheatland

Volker Merschmann Volker Merschmann

2010/12/2 Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Le 2010-12-01 14:06, Danishka Navin a écrit :
>> > As we need funds we could start a DTF/LibreOffice store, that people can by
>> > Libreoffice Tshirts, Caps, etc.
>>
>> IMO, yes, we should make a page for the LO store. We should maybe just
>> consider it for the Drupal site for now. People would not expect if to
>> appear right away at the first appearance of the LibreOffice suite. We
>> also need to work on what we really would like to market and what is
>> written on the items.
>
> Drupal has one of the most powerful open source shopping systems
> around: Ubercart:
> http://www.ubercart.org/
>
> It would not be that difficult to set up.

The shop-system is the smallest part of work. In case we are setting
it up by ourselves, someone must manage the shop, purchase, shipping
etc.
This can't be done by a sole project member.

I would recommend to jump on a existing configurable system like
shirtcity or similar.

Regards

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

James Walker James Walker

Re: A web page for TDF/LibreOffice store

CafePress has always been pretty good for this kind of thing, all you really
have to do is upload the artwork and finish setting this up.

In my opinion I think that we should really leave it up to the individual
marketing teams to do this for their area.  It would be easier to manage and
then the items sold could be better customized to their market.

James Walker

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:43 AM, Volker Merschmann <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2010/12/2 Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>:
> can by
> >>
> >> IMO, yes, we should make a page for the LO store. We should maybe just
> >> consider it for the Drupal site for now. People would not expect if to
> >> appear right away at the first appearance of the LibreOffice suite. We
> >> also need to work on what we really would like to market and what is
> >> written on the items.
> >
> > Drupal has one of the most powerful open source shopping systems
> > around: Ubercart:
> > http://www.ubercart.org/
> >
> > It would not be that difficult to set up.
> >
> The shop-system is the smallest part of work. In case we are setting
> it up by ourselves, someone must manage the shop, purchase, shipping
> etc.
> This can't be done by a sole project member.
>
> I would recommend to jump on a existing configurable system like
> shirtcity or similar.
>
> Regards
>
> Volker
>
> --
> ++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

Re: A web page for TDF/LibreOffice store

> In my opinion I think that we should really leave it up to the individual
> marketing teams to do this for their area.  It would be easier to manage
> and
> then the items sold could be better customized to their market.

you meant local communities will produce Tshirts and send their funds back
to TDF ?

I don't think it as a good solution, but it is the best solution if we are
not working for fund raising with Tshirts.

James Walker James Walker

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > In my opinion I think that we should really leave it up to the individual
> > marketing teams to do this for their area.  It would be easier to manage
> > and
> > then the items sold could be better customized to their market.
> >

> you meant local communities will produce Tshirts and send their funds back
> to TDF ?
>
> I don't think it as a good solution, but it is the best solution if we are
> not working for fund raising with Tshirts.

With us having marketing broken down into regions, or languages, I think it
would be easier for each language group or marketing area to do there own
thing.  Just like there are places in the US that make the items and handle
shipping and everything else for you, I am sure there is in other countries
as well.  It would be really confusing I think to attempt a global store.

I also am not sure what selling stuff under TDF would do for the non-profit
aspect of the foundation.

What I see is the US/CAN marketing teams setting up a place and then
directing people to that site when they are out promoting LibreOffice.  Then
all the money that is generated from their store could go towards more
Marketing in the area.  I think seperating the funds like that would work
just fine.

I am going to end here for now, as I feel like I am rambling.

James

bedipp bedipp

Re: A web page for TDF/LibreOffice store

Hi James, Danishka, all

James Walker schrieb:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Danishka Navin<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>>> In my opinion I think that we should really leave it up to the individual
>>> marketing teams to do this for their area.  It would be easier to manage
>>> and
>>> then the items sold could be better customized to their market.
>>>

>> you meant local communities will produce Tshirts and send their funds back
>> to TDF ?
>>
>> I don't think it as a good solution, but it is the best solution if we are
>> not working for fund raising with Tshirts.

I don't think that it is necessary that all stores have to be led by TDF
directly.

In my eyes local stores make sense by avoiding customs, reducing
transport fees and delivery times.

Probably we (the community led by the Steering Committee) will have to
define which way to go:

a) one centralized store

b) one central organization with different local stores

c) officially approved local stores (one for each region)

d) officially approved local stores (no restriction by region)
    like the distributor network on OOo

e) stores without direct connection to the community / TDF

> With us having marketing broken down into regions, or languages, I think it
> would be easier for each language group or marketing area to do there own
> thing.  Just like there are places in the US that make the items and handle
> shipping and everything else for you, I am sure there is in other countries
> as well.  It would be really confusing I think to attempt a global store.
>
> I also am not sure what selling stuff under TDF would do for the non-profit
> aspect of the foundation.
>
> What I see is the US/CAN marketing teams setting up a place and then
> directing people to that site when they are out promoting LibreOffice.  Then
> all the money that is generated from their store could go towards more
> Marketing in the area.  I think seperating the funds like that would work
> just fine.
>
> I am going to end here for now, as I feel like I am rambling.

Not at all - this is a topic we should discuss and decide, at it is a
good opportunity to raise money.

What I want to avoid is companies paying money to become the official
LibO store - avoiding concurrent stores until the next one pays more money.

Even if this might bring us the most money, it might not be the best
situation for our users / customers and doesn't fit to my understanding
of free and open.

My preference is option d)

Stores have to ask permission to be mentioned on our website.

We provide officially approved designs for them to sell (or we accept
their design proposals - under free license - as part of our official
visual design)

They can add a button/banner "Officially approved LibreOffice store".

They donate a certain percentage to TDF.

Best regards

Bernhard

> James

James Walker James Walker

Re: A web page for TDF/LibreOffice store

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Bernhard Dippold <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>

> Not at all - this is a topic we should discuss and decide, at it is a good
> opportunity to raise money.
>
> What I want to avoid is companies paying money to become the official LibO
> store - avoiding concurrent stores until the next one pays more money.
>
> Even if this might bring us the most money, it might not be the best
> situation for our users / customers and doesn't fit to my understanding of
> free and open.
>
> My preference is option d)
>
> Stores have to ask permission to be mentioned on our website.
>
> We provide officially approved designs for them to sell (or we accept their
> design proposals - under free license - as part of our official visual
> design)
>
> They can add a button/banner "Officially approved LibreOffice store".
>
> They donate a certain percentage to TDF.

Personally,   I am looking into setting up something for the US/Can
Marketing teams, where most of the money raised will go back into marketing
efforts in the US/Can. I am sure we will have a little bit of overhead to
maybe have someone take care of all the paperwork, and make sure all the
orders make it to the person they are supposed to.

I am still looking into the idea of the T-shirts that we discussed before,
if someone would like to purpose artwork for say the front pocket of the
T-shirt, and maybe a design for the back that would help.  We could then
vote on it, then I will make a list of all those interested in ordering and
then see how much per T-shirt I can get them made. We have some very good
quality T-shirts made for work every year.  These are used in a shop
enviroment and they last most of the guys a couple of years when we order 5
or so a piece.

James Walker