ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Next » 12
Hal Parker Hal Parker

ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

David gave me the go-ahead, so I've created a "space" under Company Home for
"LibreOffice Documentation", and another space under that one for "Writer
Guide 3.3". I hope everyone with a login can see these spaces. ;-)

Now anyone with a login should be able to upload Writer Guide chapters to
that space, using the Add Content button. ("Create content" does something
else.)

I probably won't have time today to go any further with this, but if I do
I'll let you know. But if you're interested in trying this out, don't wait
for me!

Hal

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Hi, :-)

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:38, Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David gave me the go-ahead, so I've created a "space" under Company Home for
> "LibreOffice Documentation", and another space under that one for "Writer
> Guide 3.3". I hope everyone with a login can see these spaces. ;-)
>
> Now anyone with a login should be able to upload Writer Guide chapters to
> that space, using the Add Content button. ("Create content" does something
> else.)

I can see the space, and I uploaded the first three files of the
Writer Guide. I deliberately stopped after three so that others of you
can try doing it yourselves. It's really easy. It recognizes the file
type and the chapter title, and the author (Ron Faile, in the case of
these 3 files).

David Nelson

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:01:29 +0800
David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:38, Hal Parker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Now anyone with a login should be able to upload Writer Guide
> > chapters to that space, using the Add Content button. ("Create
> > content" does something else.)
>
> ... I deliberately stopped after three so that others of you
> can try doing it yourselves...

I uploaded 4 through 6 to My Home, but have not yet placed it in the
company home/LibreOffice documentation/writer guide section. I will
tinker with them more later tonight.

-- jdc

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:38:29 +1000
Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I hope everyone with a login can see these spaces. ;-)

 I can :D

> Now anyone with a login should be able to upload Writer Guide
> chapters to that space, using the Add Content button. ("Create
> content" does something else.)

 I can not. There is no Add Content button in that space for me. I
 could upload to my space just fine, but when I went to run the
 action 'move' or 'copy' on the files which were in my space to the
 Writers Guide space, I got the following error: '* Failed to run
 Actions due to error: 000645896 Access Denied. You do not have the
 appropriate permissions to perform this operation.'

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Hi Jeremy, :-)

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 09:19, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I can not. There is no Add Content button in that space for me. I
>  could upload to my space just fine, but when I went to run the
>  action 'move' or 'copy' on the files which were in my space to the
>  Writers Guide space, I got the following error: '* Failed to run
>  Actions due to error: 000645896 Access Denied. You do not have the
>  appropriate permissions to perform this operation.'

I've applied a short-term fix... Can you please try again?

David Nelson

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:28:04 +0800
David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've applied a short-term fix... Can you please try again?

 It worked. Writer Guide 3.3 chapters 4 - 6 are now in Company
 Home/LibreOffice Documentation/Writer Guide 3.3. Also, the 'Add
 Content' button is now visible for me in that space.

 My question now is, even though there was no true folder system like
 that which Jean detailed on the documentfoundation website, there was a
 matrix that helped us (me? haha) envision a proper workflow.

 Would that be something for which the 'Spaces' area could be utilized?
 Perhaps create 4 spaces per guide - Drafts, Feedback, Proofing and
 Publish - with the documents being shuffled about between those spaces
 as they progress?

 Just thinking aloud here, but if so would that mean we would 1)
 download the doc, 2) perform our task, 3) upload the doc and then 4)
 move the doc to the new 'Space'?

-- jdc

Hal Parker Hal Parker

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  My question now is, even though there was no true folder system like
>  that which Jean detailed on the documentfoundation website, there was a
>  matrix that helped us (me? haha) envision a proper workflow.
>
>  Would that be something for which the 'Spaces' area could be utilized?
>  Perhaps create 4 spaces per guide - Drafts, Feedback, Proofing and
>  Publish - with the documents being shuffled about between those spaces
>  as they progress?
>
>  Just thinking aloud here, but if so would that mean we would 1)
>  download the doc, 2) perform our task, 3) upload the doc and then 4)
>  move the doc to the new 'Space'?

That's more or less what the example (tutorial?) in the "Getting Started
with Explorer Document Management for Alfresco" guide suggests, although the
tutorial also talks about creating workflow "rules". I haven't quite got my
head around the concept of "rules" and what they are supposed to be used
for.

I like the idea of multiple spaces per guide, because that helps me keep
track of things, and it probably won't break anything to set them up. We
should be able to just move docs manually... at least at this point.

Hal

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 20:39:54 +1000
Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Jeremy Cartwright
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Perhaps create 4 spaces per guide - Drafts, Feedback,
> > Proofing and Publish - with the documents being shuffled about
> > between those spaces as they progress?
>
> ... I like the idea of multiple spaces per guide...

Ok, still thinking aloud here. If that's the case, with the documents
being stored in one of 4 spaces to keep track of work flow, the 'Content
Items' will then be empty.

Perhaps we could place a core set of documents in that 'Content Items'
for every guide we produce. The Workflow.png flowchart, a document
which details our workflow (certainly a working document at this stage
of the game - less so as it gets dialed in), A document which details
information about the project such as 1) Who is primary stakeholder, 2)
Goal of completion, 3) etc... and perhaps another document which gives
a list of links to further help such as to the Power User's guide,
maybe the irc.freenode.net address...

I'm sure the primary producers of documentation so far have a better
idea than I of what would be handy to have instant access to,
consolidated in one space, for every work space they could be involved
in. The idea is to 1) Make it obvious and easy to someone just joining
how they can be of use, and 2) Once the user is underway, keep them
from clicking all about looking for different pieces of a puzzle.

And if I'm on the right track here, I wonder when would be a good time
to rework http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development
to 1) remove our current workflow and matrix, and 2) briefly explain how
we use Alfresco, add a link to the site and a request for the user to
get in touch with Hal or other to get a sign-in setup.

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Hi guys, :-)

There is a possibility that someone with Alfresco experience might
help develop a workflow for us (see [1]). Let's see what comes of
that...

Rogerio, your attachment did not get through to the list. If you'd
like to post in on the wiki and mail us the link, or mail me the .ods
file and I'll post it on the wiki, maybe?

[1] http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/ALFRESCO-Where-to-put-user-doc-files-tp2161736p2196110.html

David Nelson

samphan samphan

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

I can setup the review/approve workflow for the spaces. Someone need to
decide the number of steps in the workflow and name each space/folder. I
also suggest configuring auto-versioning for all spaces so everyone can get
back older revisions.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:28 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi guys, :-)
>
> There is a possibility that someone with Alfresco experience might
> help develop a workflow for us (see [1]). Let's see what comes of
> that...
>
> Rogerio, your attachment did not get through to the list. If you'd
> like to post in on the wiki and mail us the link, or mail me the .ods
> file and I'll post it on the wiki, maybe?
>
> [1]
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/ALFRESCO-Where-to-put-user-doc-files-tp2161736p2196110.html
>
> David Nelson

_/|\_ Samphan Raruenrom. Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
Tel: +66 38 311816, Fax: +66 38 773128, http://www.osdev.co.th/

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Hi Samhan, :-)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 17:18, Samphan Raruenrom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can setup the review/approve workflow for the spaces. Someone need to
> decide the number of steps in the workflow and name each space/folder. I
> also suggest configuring auto-versioning for all spaces so everyone can get
> back older revisions.

It would be really terrific if you could do this. I feel that Ron
Faile is probably the best person to liaise with about this, because
Ron has the best feel for the workflow within the team right now.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

David Nelson

Hal Parker Hal Parker

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Samhan, :-)
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 17:18, Samphan Raruenrom <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I can setup the review/approve workflow for the spaces. Someone need to
> > decide the number of steps in the workflow and name each space/folder. I
> > also suggest configuring auto-versioning for all spaces so everyone can
> get
> > back older revisions.
>
> It would be really terrific if you could do this. I feel that Ron
> Faile is probably the best person to liaise with about this, because
> Ron has the best feel for the workflow within the team right now.
>
> Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?
>
> David Nelson

My only thought at this point is that the workflow needs to allow for the
possibility of looping through several iterations of reviews and edits, or
just one iteration, depending on the individual document, similar to the
diagram on the /Documentation/Development wiki page.

Note: I know nothing about the way "rules" are set up for moving files from
one space to another, so what I just said may be a built in or default
feature that those familiar with "rules" might think is obvious and "of
course it's that way".

Hal

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:26:27 +0800
David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:27:49 +1000
Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it would be very helpful for the writers to have access to
> (or a copy of) the glossaries used for the UI and Help.

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:54:05 -0200
Rogerio Luz Coelho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/b/b9/ZINE_02_TRABALHOS.ods
>
> Here is the file

-- jdc

davidnelson davidnelson

ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Hi Samphan, :-)

We'd really love you to do this work very much. As you know, you
already have the necessary permissions in the admin back-end. Let me
know if there's anything that has to be done at OS level.

Ron Faile has agreed to lead in working with you on establishing what
our workflow is and what we would ideally like it to be, because he's
the one among us that is closest to the workflow right now. We'll all
be pleased to chip in with advice, comments and help when needed.

We're very much looking forward to working with you, and thank you
very much for your kind offer. ;-)

David Nelson

On 1/10/2011 3:27 AM, David Nelson wrote:

> Hi Ron, :-)
>
> Would you be willing to head up the work on this, by any chance?
>
> David Nelson
>
> Hi Samhan, :-)
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 17:18, Samphan Raruenrom<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> I can setup the review/approve workflow for the spaces. Someone need to
>> decide the number of steps in the workflow and name each space/folder. I
>> also suggest configuring auto-versioning for all spaces so everyone can get
>> back older revisions.

David,
Yes, I'll help with this.

Samphan,
Let me know what you need. I'll write up the workflow steps and post
it here later today. I think we should have the auto-versioning
feature as well.

Ron

Hal Parker Hal Parker

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Jeremy Cartwright
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:26:27 +0800
> David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?
> >

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:27:49 +1000
> Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I think it would be very helpful for the writers to have access to
> > (or a copy of) the glossaries used for the UI and Help.
> >

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:54:05 -0200
> Rogerio Luz Coelho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/b/b9/ZINE_02_TRABALHOS.ods
> >
> > Here is the file

Jeremy, what file is that supposed to be? It's not a glossary. Wrong
reference, perhaps?

Hal

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:50:22 +1000
Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeremy, what file is that supposed to be? It's not a glossary. Wrong
> reference, perhaps?
>
> Hal

I believe it was a spreadsheet which detailed and controlled Rogerio's
Broffice team workflow. A spreadsheet seemed to be a thought someone
else had on inclusion in the Alfresco set-up.

I would also add at this time a list which details the sort of task Ron
details in the following message.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:32:41 -0600
Ron Faile <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Shawn. One thing we need help with right now is creating quick
> reference cards for each of the applications in LibreOffice. If you
> would be willing to help with that, we should be able to get you
> started.

-- jdc

Hal Parker Hal Parker

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Jeremy Cartwright
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:50:22 +1000
> Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Jeremy, what file is that supposed to be? It's not a glossary. Wrong
> > reference, perhaps?
> >
> > Hal
> >

> I believe it was a spreadsheet which detailed and controlled Rogerio's
> Broffice team workflow. A spreadsheet seemed to be a thought someone
> else had on inclusion in the Alfresco set-up.
>
> I would also add at this time a list which details the sort of task Ron
> details in the following message.
>
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:32:41 -0600
> Ron Faile <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Shawn. One thing we need help with right now is creating quick
> > reference cards for each of the applications in LibreOffice. If you
> > would be willing to help with that, we should be able to get you
> > started.

OK, thanks. The context confused me, as it appeared to be in response to the
quote from my note about a glossary.

Hal

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:37:03 +1000
Hal Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, thanks. The context confused me, as it appeared to be in response
> to the quote from my note about a glossary.
>
> Hal

Oh yes, no. Sorry to confuse you. I was just gathering ideas people had
for David and Samphan re: the Alfresco setup and usage. :)

-- jdc

Ron Faile Ron Faile

On 1/10/2011 3:18 AM, Samphan Raruenrom wrote:
> I can setup the review/approve workflow for the spaces. Someone need to
> decide the number of steps in the workflow and name each space/folder. I
> also suggest configuring auto-versioning for all spaces so everyone can get
> back older revisions.

Samphan,

Here is the workflow that I've come up with. It's basically what we are
doing now on the wiki.

Folders: Drafts, Review, Proofing, Published

Step 1.

A user uploads a new file to the Drafts folder. Someone checks out the
file from the Drafts folder to begin editing. The file stays in the
Drafts folder and is marked that it is checked out and to show which
user is working on it. If possible, prevent other users from editing the
file while it is checked out.

Step 2.

The user downloads the file, makes changes and then uploads the file to
Alfresco and checks the file back in. The user is then offered the
option to either leave the file in the Drafts folder if the file needs
further editing or if editing is complete, move the file to the next
step in the process, the Review folder.

Step 3.

Another user goes to the Review folder and checks out the file,
downloads it and reviews it. If the file was revised, it would be moved
back to the Drafts folder and the document is checked back in. If it was
ok and ready to proceed to proofing, the file is moved to the Proofing
folder and the file is checked in.

Step 4.

A user goes to the Proofing folder, downloads the file and proofs it. If
the file needs more work, it is moved back to the Drafts folder. If they
agree it is ready for publishing, they go to the Proofing folder and
mark that the file is ok. The file is marked as having been proofed
once. Then a second user proofs the file and if they agree it is ready
to be published, they mark that they have proofed the file and it is ok.
Once the file has been proofed by two users, then it will be moved to
the Published folder.

I agree about turning on auto-versioning. Let me know if you need
anything else. Thanks.

Ron

samphan samphan

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

I've just finished early implementation Ron's workflow and roughly tested.
Here's the procedure of the workflow in Alfresco (sorry for my English
-_-!):

Spaces: Drafts, Review, Proofing, Proofing2, Published

Only Alfresco users in the "Documenters" group are involved in this
workflow. Other users have read-only access to the spaces.

Step 1.

   1. A user go to the Drafts space, click "Add Content", choose file to
   upload, fill-in the document "Name", and in the "Type" field choose
   "Content".
   2. Someone checks out the file from the Drafts folder to begin editing.
      - To check-out a file, click on the "More Action" (triangle inside a
      circle button) and choose "Check Out".
      - Then choose the space for the working copy which should be in the
      user's home space.
   3. The checked-out files stays in the Drafts folder and is marked that it
   is checked-out by the "locked" icon. Hover at the icon to show which user is
   working on it.
      - Other users are prevented from editing the file while it is checked
      out.

Step 2.

   1. The user downloads the working copy, makes changes and then uploads
   the file to replace the working copy with new versions.
   2. When finish, click the "Check In" button of the working copy. The
   working copy will be removed and the original file will be editable again.
   3. The user is then offered the option to either
      - leave the file in the Drafts folder if the file needs further
      editing
      - or if editing is complete, move the file to the next step in the
      process, the Review space, by clicking at the "More Action" button and
      choose "Submit to Review"

Step 3.

   1. Another user goes to the Review folder and checks out the file,
   downloads it and reviews it.
   2. If the file was revised,
      - the user check-in the changes
      - then choose "Reject to Drafts" to move the file to Drafts space.
   3.  If it was ok and ready to proceed to proofing
      - the user check-in the changes
      - then choose "Submit to Proofing" to move the file to Proofing space.

Step 4.

   1. A user goes to the Proofing space, downloads the file and proofs it.
   2. If the file needs more work, it is moved back to the Drafts space by
   choosing "Reject to Drafts".
   3. If the file is OK, it is moved to the Proofing2 by choosing "Submit to
   Proofing2". This is to mark that the file have been proofed once.
   4. Then a second user goes to the Proofing2 space, proofs the file.
   5. if the user agree it is ready to be published, s/he choose "Submit to
   Published" which move the file to Published space. That means the file has
   been proofed by two users