ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

12 « Prev
samphan samphan

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Rogerio Luz Coelho
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> 2011/1/15 Samphan Raruenrom <[hidden email]>
> > I've just finished early implementation Ron's workflow and roughly
> tested.
> > Here's the procedure of the workflow in Alfresco (sorry for my English
> > -_-!):
> > Spaces: Drafts, Review, Proofing, Proofing2, Published
> > Only Alfresco users in the "Documenters" group are involved in this
> > workflow. Other users have read-only access to the spaces.
> > Step 1.
> >   1. A user go to the Drafts space, click "Add Content", choose file to
> >   upload, fill-in the document "Name", and in the "Type" field choose
> >   "Content".
> >    2. Someone checks out the file from the Drafts folder to begin
> editing.
> >       - To check-out a file, click on the "More Action" (triangle inside
> >      circle button) and choose "Check Out".
> >      - Then choose the space for the working copy which should be in the
> >      user's home space.
> >   3. The checked-out files stays in the Drafts folder and is marked that
> it
> >   is checked-out by the "locked" icon. Hover at the icon to show which
> user is
> >   working on it.
> >      - Other users are prevented from editing the file while it is
> checked out.
> This is done automatically by Afresco right?

Yes.

> Step 2.
> >   1. The user downloads the working copy, makes changes and then uploads
> >   the file to replace the working copy with new versions.
> Again done by Afresco?

The user just choose "Update" and select the file to upload.

> >   2. When finish, click the "Check In" button of the working copy. The
> >   working copy will be removed and the original file will be editable
> > again.
> Nice
> >    3. The user is then offered the option to either
> >      - leave the file in the Drafts folder if the file needs further
> >      editing
> >      - or if editing is complete, move the file to the next step in the
> >       process, the Review space, by clicking at the "More Action" button
> > and
> >      choose "Submit to Review"
> Nice
> > Step 3.
> >   1. Another user goes to the Review folder and checks out the file,
> >    downloads it and reviews it.
> >   2. If the file was revised,
> >       - the user check-in the changes
> We will have to MANUALLY check in the changes or will the revision feature
> in LiO give us this?

Yes. The user must manually check-in/upload the revised file if s/he want to
make change.
If s/he just want to "read" the document then s/he can just download the
file w/o checking out.
The versioning in Alfresco is to call a new version after each update. If
you access Alfresco thru CIFS, update is merely saving the file. For
web-based Alfresco Explorer, update is an upload.

> >      - then choose "Reject to Drafts" to move the file to Drafts space.
> >    3.  If it was ok and ready to proceed to proofing
> >       - the user check-in the changes
> >      - then choose "Submit to Proofing" to move the file to Proofing
> space.
> > Step 4
> >   1. A user goes to the Proofing space, downloads the file and proofs it.
> >   2. If the file needs more work, it is moved back to the Drafts space by
> >   choosing "Reject to Drafts".
> >   3. If the file is OK, it is moved to the Proofing2 by choosing "Submit
> >   Proofing2". This is to mark that the file have been proofed once.
> >   4. Then a second user goes to the Proofing2 space, proofs the file.
> >   5. if the user agree it is ready to be published, s/he choose "Submit
> >   Published" which move the file to Published space. That means the file
> > has been proofed by two users
> Nice
> - Overall a very robust publishing system... my only question: IF reviewer
> vanishes (has happened in the past) can someone get the copy of the file?
> in
> the step it was left behind (I assume yes) ?

An admin can undo a check-out of everyone and undelete every files.

> Rogerio

_/|\_ Samphan Raruenrom. Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
Tel: +66 38 311816, Fax: +66 38 773128, http://www.osdev.co.th/

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Hi, :-)

@Samphan:

a) Jeremy Cartwright wrote back to the list today about something he
has been experimenting with (see [1]). Can you tell us what you think
about this? I'm only worried that you don't seem to be in contact with
each other, and so there may be redundancies or interferences between
what you are both doing... Can you please advise Jeremy about his
work, and advise us how it relates to your own development work?

b) Could you tell us what the situation is regarding the
auto-versioning with the workflow you'v, designed?

@Jeremy: Could you give us your reactions, please, Jeremy?

@Ron: Could we hear from you, too, please, Ron?

TIA, guys. ;-)

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Hi, :-)

Samphan, with regard to the message I just posted here in this thread,
could you maybe take a look at Jeremy's post in this thread below?

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/alfresco-links-tp2241517p2244343.html

Thanks. ;-)

David Nelson

samphan samphan

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

Sorry, I've miss reading the thread :P.
Jeremy's work on the Alfresco spaces is virtually the same as I do. The
differences are just the layout, number of steps in the workflow and
wording.

There's a redundancy because of the rule I and Jeremy used to enable
versioning which is easy to fix.

The "only" other thing that I've done is add the group "Documenters" as
"Collaborator" role to the space "LibreOffice Documentation". This allows
anyone in the group to add/edit every files in the space/subspaces but only
allow the owner/admin to delete a file. I guess this is the right thing to
do?

davidnelson davidnelson

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:56, Samphan Raruenrom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry, I've miss reading the thread :P.
> Jeremy's work on the Alfresco spaces is virtually the same as I do. The
> differences are just the layout, number of steps in the workflow and
> wording.
>
> There's a redundancy because of the rule I and Jeremy used to enable
> versioning which is easy to fix.

OK, please see below.

> The "only" other thing that I've done is add the group "Documenters" as
> "Collaborator" role to the space "LibreOffice Documentation". This allows
> anyone in the group to add/edit every files in the space/subspaces but only
> allow the owner/admin to delete a file. I guess this is the right thing to
> do?

Yes, for sure.

What is the situation regarding auto-versioning? This is a feature
we'd be *very* keen to have.

@Samphan, @Jeremy:

So what's the solution? You work together? You integrate what you've
done? What shall we do here?

Whatever you both decide, I would definitely like Samphan to carry on
working with us as maintainer and developer. I'm hoping that Samphan
will do theming work on the site, if it is decided to integrate this
site into the TDF Web resources (this is a subject I'll be
following-up on with him very soon).

@Ron: could you maybe give us your take on this, too?

David Nelson

Ron Faile Ron Faile

On 1/15/2011 7:15 AM, David Nelson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 20:56, Samphan Raruenrom<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Jeremy's work on the Alfresco spaces is virtually the same as I do. The
>> differences are just the layout, number of steps in the workflow and
>> wording.
Yes, they are very similar. I seem to prefer Samphan's work as it makes
it easier to follow. I like his naming of the folders too. TestFin was
just confusing to me.
> The "only" other thing that I've done is add the group "Documenters"
> as"Collaborator" role to the space "LibreOffice Documentation". This
> allowsanyone in the group to add/edit every files in the
> space/subspaces but onlyallow the owner/admin to delete a file. I
> guess this is the right thing to do?
Yes I think this is a good idea and fits what we need it to do.
> @Samphan, @Jeremy:
>
> So what's the solution? You work together? You integrate what you've
> done? What shall we do here?
I would also like to see the two works integrated and to have more
collaboration in the effort. Thanks to both of you.
> Whatever you both decide, I would definitely like Samphan to carry on
> working with us as maintainer and developer. I'm hoping that Samphan
> will do theming work on the site, if it is decided to integrate this
> site into the TDF Web resources (this is a subject I'll be
> following-up on with him very soon).

Please do Samphan.
> @Ron: could you maybe give us your take on this, too?
>
> David Nelson
Instead of rushing to completion and implementation of Alfresco, I would
like to see more time given to the process and let others who have not
tried it yet or the new workflow to get in there and see what it's like.
Are we going to have a working version of Samphan's work on the site to
give it a test as well?

Ron

davidnelson davidnelson

@Ron:

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 22:12, Ron Faile <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Instead of rushing to completion and implementation of Alfresco, I would
> like to see more time given to the process and let others who have not tried
> it yet or the new workflow to get in there and see what it's like.

So basically you're talking about having a pilot trial of team members
working on live LibreOffice documentation via Alfresco? If so, I'd say
that would be an essential next stage... I offer to add some content
to Samphan's workflow so that people can start trying it out.
(Obviously, anyone else is welcome to do the same.)

What content do you suggest for that?

> Are we going to have a working version of Samphan's work on the site to give
> it a test as well?

I didn't quite understand what you meant. Samphan's workflow is
working and ready now... Could you clarify, please?

@Jeremy: So what are your thoughts, Jeremy?

David Nelson

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: ALFRESCO: New space for user docs

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:54:54 +0700
Samphan Raruenrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Samphan, *;

I really like Samphan's workflow solution. The verbiage for the
operations are very much in line with the expectations of the user,
and the usage of groups is first rate. If I could work with you on polishing the out-of-the-box site to become more intuitive
and user-friendly for the LO docs team I would be much obliged.

> There's a redundancy because of the rule I and Jeremy used to enable
> versioning which is easy to fix.

Indeed. Would it make sense to have one inheritable versioning rule
applied higher up in the space-tree?

> The "only" other thing that I've done is add the group "Documenters"
> as "Collaborator" role to the space "LibreOffice Documentation". This
> allows anyone in the group to add/edit every files in the
> space/subspaces but only allow the owner/admin to delete a file. I
> guess this is the right thing to do?

This is huge. Spot-on.

>    3. If the file is OK, it is moved to the Proofing2 by choosing
> "Submit to Proofing2". This is to mark that the file have been
> proofed once. 4. Then a second user goes to the Proofing2 space,
> proofs the file. 5. if the user agree it is ready to be published,
> s/he choose "Submit to Published" which move the file to Published
> space. That means the file has been proofed by two users

My solution also offered a fifth folder to meet the two approver
process. Then Ron pointed out the ability to 'Start Discussion' on
documents. Can that feature be used to facilitate communication on
approval in a programmatic fashion?

I've created a space-tree under 'Company Home'|'LibreOffice
Documentation'|'catalog'. If the community approves this structure,
perhaps we can move your workflow folders to the appropriate space
within that structure?

-- jdc

samphan samphan

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:54:54 +0700
> Samphan Raruenrom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Samphan, *;
> I really like Samphan's workflow solution. The verbiage for the
> operations are very much in line with the expectations of the user,
> and the usage of groups is first rate. If I could work with you on
> polishing the out-of-the-box site to become more intuitive
> and user-friendly for the LO docs team I would be much obliged.

:)

> > There's a redundancy because of the rule I and Jeremy used to enable
> > versioning which is easy to fix.
> Indeed. Would it make sense to have one inheritable versioning rule
> applied higher up in the space-tree?

I took the liberty to put such rule at "LibreOffice Documentation" level.
That is suffice for everything inside the space.
The other alternative is putting the rule at "Company Home" space but that'd
be overkilled. Alfresco version system doesn't work like svn, i.e. it
doesn't store the diff between versions but store each version as-is.