[ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Michael Stahl-2 Michael Stahl-2

[ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

with the commit 38a22a9026a3d8a67f3e16ec650960a10b527d25 "Switch from
python to python3" Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice when
configured --enable-python=internal.

with the commit 602b746330d21ae1b9c0fc60eb0980ed92cd5680 "configure:
switch system Python minimum to 3.3" the minimum version for a system
Python (when using --enable-python=system) has been raised to 3.3;
however for a transition period of a few releases it will still be
possible to use a Python 2 version 2.6 or later, by explicitly setting
PYTHON, PYTHON_CFLAGS, PYTHON_LIBS variables.

there are currently no known issues with pyuno (remotely) and Python
Script Provider when running on Python 3.

there are still some bits of Python code that are not yet ported to run
on Python 3, such as the email sending stuff in scripting/source/pyprov/
and LightProof but hopefully we'll get that done before 4.0 release.

thanks to Christian Lohmaier for his work to get internal python3
packaged on Mac OS X, to Laszlo Nemeth for advice in porting the Python
Script Provider extension, and to Xisco Fauli for porting the Python
based Wizards.
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Le 27/11/2012 17:11, Michael Stahl a écrit :

Hi Michael,

> with the commit 38a22a9026a3d8a67f3e16ec650960a10b527d25 "Switch from
> python to python3" Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice when
> configured --enable-python=internal.

This fails to build for me on master on Linux 32bit Mint 13 KDE. I used
the default provided, ie. no autogen switch, so it downloads the 3.3
bundle, but gives the following error when attempting to build the module :

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
were not found:
_dbm               _gdbm              _lzma
_tkinter
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
_elementtree       _sqlite3           pyexpat

[build PRJ] python3
/bin/cp: impossible d'évaluer
«/home/Development/libo/workdir/unxlngi6.pro/UnpackedTarball/python3/LO_lib/_elementtree.cpython-33m.so»:
Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
make[2]: ***
[/home/Development/libo/solver/unxlngi6.pro/lib/python/lib-dynload/_elementtree.cpython-33m.so]
Erreur 1
make[2]: *** Attente des tâches non terminées....
make[2]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Development/libo/python3 »
make[1]: *** [python3] Erreur 2
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Development/libo »
make: *** [python3] Erreur 2

So for some reason, _elementtree.cpython-33m.so is not being built or
not being found, possibly due to the other missing python 3 modules ?

Alex

Stephan van den Akker Stephan van den Akker

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Hi all,

I'm having similar problems with my build on 32 bit openSUSE 12.2 and 64-bit openSUSE 11.4. I noticed that early in the build of python 3.3 that the gcc compiler on both platforms gives error messages complaining about unknown options ("-R" on the 32 bit system). This almost certainly means missing .o or .so files

2012/11/28 Alex Thurgood <[hidden email]>
Le 27/11/2012 17:11, Michael Stahl a écrit :

Hi Michael,

> with the commit 38a22a9026a3d8a67f3e16ec650960a10b527d25 "Switch from
> python to python3" Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice when
> configured --enable-python=internal.

This fails to build for me on master on Linux 32bit Mint 13 KDE. I used
the default provided, ie. no autogen switch, so it downloads the 3.3
bundle, but gives the following error when attempting to build the module :

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
were not found:
_dbm               _gdbm              _lzma
_tkinter
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
_elementtree       _sqlite3           pyexpat

[build PRJ] python3
/bin/cp: impossible d'évaluer
«/home/Development/libo/workdir/unxlngi6.pro/UnpackedTarball/python3/LO_lib/_elementtree.cpython-33m.so»:
Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
make[2]: ***
[/home/Development/libo/solver/unxlngi6.pro/lib/python/lib-dynload/_elementtree.cpython-33m.so]
Erreur 1
make[2]: *** Attente des tâches non terminées....
make[2]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Development/libo/python3 »
make[1]: *** [python3] Erreur 2
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/Development/libo »
make: *** [python3] Erreur 2

So for some reason, _elementtree.cpython-33m.so is not being built or
not being found, possibly due to the other missing python 3 modules ?

Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Le 28/11/2012 11:42, Stephan van den Akker a écrit :

*** WARNING: renaming "pyexpat" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-i686-3.3/pyexpat.cpython-33m.so: undefined symbol:
XML_GetErrorCode_UTF8
*** WARNING: renaming "_elementtree" since importing it failed:
PyCapsule_Import could not import module "pyexpat"

Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Le 28/11/2012 11:42, Stephan van den Akker a écrit :

> I'm having similar problems with my build on 32 bit openSUSE 12.2 and
> 64-bit openSUSE 11.4. I noticed that early in the build of python 3.3
> that the gcc compiler on both platforms gives error messages complaining
> about unknown options ("-R" on the 32 bit system). This almost certainly
> means missing .o or .so files

Yep, seems to be same problem here too on my system :

Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
gcc: erreur: unrecognized option ‘-R’

The most up-to-date version of Python 3 on Linux Mint 13 KDE is Python
3.2 - if the build module uses a downloadable 3.3, shouldn't that
contain all of the needed dependencies and not be looking to find them
on the system ?

Alex

On 28/11/12 11:28, Alex Thurgood wrote:

> Le 27/11/2012 17:11, Michael Stahl a écrit :
>
> Hi Michael,
>

>> with the commit 38a22a9026a3d8a67f3e16ec650960a10b527d25 "Switch from
>> python to python3" Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice when
>> configured --enable-python=internal.
>>

> This fails to build for me on master on Linux 32bit Mint 13 KDE. I used
> the default provided, ie. no autogen switch, so it downloads the 3.3
> bundle, but gives the following error when attempting to build the module :
>

> Failed to build these modules:
> _elementtree       _sqlite3           pyexpat

> So for some reason, _elementtree.cpython-33m.so is not being built or
> not being found, possibly due to the other missing python 3 modules ?

this is caused by an obsolete expat.h in the solver, delete it and
rebuild and it should work:  find solver/ -name expat.h

Olivier Hallot Olivier Hallot

Stephan van den Akker Stephan van den Akker

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Still getting errors on my 64-bit openSUSE system.

did:

rm solver/unxlngx6.pro/inc/external/expat/expat.h
make python3.clean
make python3

(...)

creating Makefile
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
gcc: unrecognized option '-R/usr/lib64'
/home/stephan/Software/libreoffice-master/core/workdir/unxlngx6.pro/UnpackedTarball/python3/Modules/_curses_panel.c:17:19: fatal error: panel.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

(...)

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were not found:
_lzma              _tkinter
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
_curses_panel

[build PRJ] python3
[build PKG] python3
[build EPK] python3
[build MOD] python3
[build ALL] top level modules: python3
[build ALL] loaded modules: python3

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/stephan/Software/libreoffice-master/core/python3'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stephan/Software/libreoffice-master/core'

On 28/11/12 12:53, Stephan van den Akker wrote:
> Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
> were not found:
> _lzma              _tkinter
> To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
> module's name.
>

> Failed to build these modules:
> _curses_panel

your build should complete successfully after this.

python's build system apparently works by throwing a bunch of optional
modules at the compiler and then checking what built successfully.  a
lot of these optional modules have dependencies on libraries that are
not bundled with python and are not bundled with LibreOffice either, so
building these will fail if you don't have the right stuff on your
system.  but it doesn't matter for LibreOffice because we don't package
these optional modules in the installation set anyway.

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Last i had asked about python 3 it seems like though there is backwards incompatabilitiy between python 3 and 2 not sure if that is still the case with the current version that has landed in libreoffice 4

Németh László Németh László

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Le 28/11/2012 12:53, Stephan van den Akker a écrit :

Hi Stephan,

> Still getting errors on my 64-bit openSUSE system.

Try clearing your ccache if you are using one :

ccache -C

I also did a make clean before rebuilding.

That did the trick for me.

Alex

Stephan van den Akker Stephan van den Akker

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python 3.3 is now bundled with LibreOffice 4.0

Thanks, Alex.

It turns out that the remaining errors have to do with parts of python that are not needed by LO, so the build continues anyway.

Cheers,

Stephan