ANNOUNCE: Renaming user-visible strings

Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2

ANNOUNCE: Renaming user-visible strings

Someone from the help team approached the design team [1] about how to
handle string changes in LibreOffice.
The problem is that when we change user-visible strings in LibreOffice,
that the help and other documentation needs updating.

We decided to create a wiki page which lists all string changes we do:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/RecentStringChanges

So please, if you change some user-visible string whether it's in a
menu, toolbar or a dialog, just list your change there so that the help
maintainers can easily update the help pages.

Thanks!
Samuel

[1] https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/boards/1/topics/180
Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Re: ANNOUNCE: Renaming user-visible strings

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Samuel Mehrbrodt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Someone from the help team approached the design team [1] about how to
> handle string changes in LibreOffice.
> The problem is that when we change user-visible strings in LibreOffice, that
> the help and other documentation needs updating.
>
> We decided to create a wiki page which lists all string changes we do:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/RecentStringChanges
>
> So please, if you change some user-visible string whether it's in a menu,
> toolbar or a dialog, just list your change there so that the help
> maintainers can easily update the help pages.

Is there a good way to automate this process? Maybe identify
particular commits based on file extension and/or what's touched in
the diff (e.g. "<label>...</label>" and "<value
xml:lang="en-US">...</value>") ?

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon
QA Engineer - The Document Foundation
Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara

On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 20:15 +0200, Samuel Mehrbrodt wrote:

> Someone from the help team approached the design team [1] about how to
> handle string changes in LibreOffice.
> The problem is that when we change user-visible strings in LibreOffice,
> that the help and other documentation needs updating.
>
> We decided to create a wiki page which lists all string changes we do:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/RecentStringChanges
>
> So please, if you change some user-visible string whether it's in a
> menu, toolbar or a dialog, just list your change there so that the help
> maintainers can easily update the help pages.

Don't think that'll scale well. Some sort of automation is called for
there, not sure how of course, but we have stuff to suck out all the
translatable strings so someone(tm) should be able to come up with a
scheme to diff them e.g. once a week against the previous state.

C.

Am 29.09.2014 um 21:27 schrieb Caolán McNamara:
> Don't think that'll scale well. Some sort of automation is called for
> there, not sure how of course, but we have stuff to suck out all the
> translatable strings so someone(tm) should be able to come up with a
> scheme to diff them e.g. once a week against the previous state.
Not sure how much work that is, could this be an easy hack?

However, until that someone (tm) will bring us a better solution, we can
use the wiki page I guess.
It's better than nothing.