About Svgreader

julien2412 julien2412

About Svgreader

Hello,

Reading bugtrackers about SVG, I noticed there were 2 locations with svgreader:
- filter/source/svg/svgreader.cxx
- svgio/source/svgreader (there's also svgio/source/svguno)

There's no README for svgio/ and the README of filter isn't detailed.

Someone to explain (perhaps update/add README)? Above all, what part is used to read svg?

Julien
Christina Roßmanith-2 Christina Roßmanith-2

Re: About Svgreader

julien2412 julien2412

[SOLVED] Re: About Svgreader

Miklos Vajna-4 Miklos Vajna-4

Re: About Svgreader

Hi Julien,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 01:22:28PM -0700, julien2412 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Reading bugtrackers about SVG, I noticed there were 2 locations with
> svgreader:
> - filter/source/svg/svgreader.cxx
> - svgio/source/svgreader (there's also svgio/source/svguno)
>
> There's no README for svgio/ and the README of filter isn't detailed.
>
> Someone to explain (perhaps update/add README)? Above all, what part is used
> to read svg?

AFAIK the filter one is used when you open a .svg file (which opens in
Draw), and the svgio one is used to handle embedded SVG files.

svgio is the newer code, it came in via
44cfc7cb6533d827fd2d6e586d92c61d7d7f7a70, the filter one much older,
dates back to 2002. No idea if there are any plans (in the near future)
to fix svgio up enough that the filter one can be dropped.

Miklos

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Re: About Svgreader

Miklos Vajna wrote:
> AFAIK the filter one is used when you open a .svg file (which opens in
> Draw), and the svgio one is used to handle embedded SVG files.

Yep.

> svgio is the newer code, it came in via
> 44cfc7cb6533d827fd2d6e586d92c61d7d7f7a70, the filter one much older,
> dates back to 2002. No idea if there are any plans (in the near future)
> to fix svgio up enough that the filter one can be dropped.

The filter one originated from a HackWeek project of Fridrich and
yours truly, and still has some value I think, with its attempted
direct mapping to ODF. There (was?) also an option to have a
standalone binary built for that.

Both implementations make different judgement calls, which are a bit
hard to consolidate. The svgio one is always erring towards perfect
rendering, whereas the filter one tries hard to maintain editability.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten