Ad on Facebook?

Next » 12
Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Ad on Facebook?

Hi,

Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
sponsored link on Facebook?

Charles-H. Schulz
Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,
Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

Re: Ad on Facebook?

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> sponsored link on Facebook?

I think we should discus this under LibreOffice 4.0 marketing plan.

> Thanks,
> --
> Charles-H. Schulz
> Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,
> Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> Rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Warren Camilleri <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1 for 4.0

Please reply to the mailing list :)

--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/

Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

Re: Ad on Facebook?

LO 4.0 marketing plan ok, but maybe advertising on facebook may be too general (not everyone on fb is looking for an office productivity suite).  advertising on specialized magazines or websites by reporting our success e.g. in the french government or with some technical detail (such as the portable version or the european low about open data format in the public administrations) could be more productive.

________________________________
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> sponsored link on Facebook?

I think we should discus this under LibreOffice 4.0 marketing plan.

> Thanks,
> --
> Charles-H. Schulz
> Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,
> Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> Rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/

Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

Re: Ad on Facebook?

internet if full of articles and comments about libreoffice which can be used in advertising,  i don't know wether it should be more about functionality, costs, microfoft comparison or what...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57364785-58/a-free-microsoft-office-alternative-thats-actually-good/

http://www.squidoo.com/Openoffice-org

http://www.technohunk.com/2012/09/libreoffice-and-microsoft-office/

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3628542

http://blog.worldlabel.com/2012/seven-reasons-for-choosing-libreoffice-over-microsoft-office.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/apache-openoffice-3-4-makes-official-debut-libreoffice-makes-its-case/10915

http://www.novell.com/products/libreoffice/

may be advertising via banners in software's and magazines' websites   could also be an idea.

________________________________

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> sponsored link on Facebook?

I think we should discus this under LibreOffice 4.0 marketing plan.

> Thanks,
> --
> Charles-H. Schulz
> Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,
> Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> Rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Ad on Facebook?

Hi Charles,

Charles-H. Schulz wrote (26-11-12 12:06)

> Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> sponsored link on Facebook?

No objections by principle.

But on the other hand: when we try to be keen on news (spread by others
in our network), and actively spread at least the part that is
interesting for our 'followers / friends / contacts / ... ' then that
would do a lot too.

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org
  - www.librelex.org

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Ad on Facebook?

Danishka Navin wrote (26-11-12 12:13)

> I think we should discus this under LibreOffice 4.0 marketing plan.

Not per see.
And wouldn't it be rather the other way round: that we can use
Facebook(Adds) in a 4.0 campaign?

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org
  - www.librelex.org

Simon Phipps Simon Phipps

Re: [tdf-core] Ad on Facebook?

On Monday, November 26, 2012, Danishka Navin wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> > sponsored link on Facebook?
> >

> I think we should discus this under LibreOffice 4.0 marketing plan.

As long  as you mean "as well as consider the proposal to do it now too"
then I agree; no need to wait though.

Ideally we need the LibreOffice page on FB more actively maintained and
promoted now, and ads would be part of a strategy for that. Independently
of curating the LibreOffice Facebook page it's less obviously a priority.

S.

--
*Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com
*Meshed Insights & Knowledge *

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Ad on Facebook?

Le 2012-11-26 06:06, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> sponsored link on Facebook?
>
> Thanks,

+1

Estimated cost? How many FB users would it reach? We would need a
marketing plan for FB, plan on certain demographics.

Otherwise, I think it is a good idea. Many educational institutions now
frequent FB either to advertise their schools or school initiatives.
Same for governmental organizations.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

dhiren jani dhiren jani

Re: Ad on Facebook?

some other things for TDF leadership to consider,
1) Is this a one time activity, or recurring
[Should it be a part of every LO release budget]
2) What is the target audience
[Education and Govt. are good segments]
3) How will you decide success of the spend, and how will you measure performance of spend
[A customized download link from there, else a link to a promo/landing page]

FB ad is a pretty good idea to start with, do consider languages in addition to english

> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Ad on Facebook?
> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:29:50 -0500
>
> Le 2012-11-26 06:06, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> > sponsored link on Facebook?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> +1
>
> Estimated cost? How many FB users would it reach? We would need a
> marketing plan for FB, plan on certain demographics.
>
> Otherwise, I think it is a good idea. Many educational institutions now
> frequent FB either to advertise their schools or school initiatives.
> Same for governmental organizations.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc
>

> --
> Marc Paré
> [hidden email]
> http://www.parEntreprise.com
> parEntreprise.com Supports OpenDocument Formats (ODF)
> parEntreprise.com Supports http://www.LibreOffice.org

Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

interesting...

Florian Monfort Florian Monfort

Re: interesting...

Grrr, still shifting to OOo and not LibreOffice...

Is anybody in touch with this guy already ?

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Paolo Debortoli
<[hidden email]>wrote:

--
*Monfort Florian*
BM2 Student at France Business School

italovignoli italovignoli

Re: interesting...

On 11/27/12 2:48 PM, Paolo Debortoli wrote:
> http://news.cnet.com/One-citys-move-to-open-source/2100-7344_3-5924184.html

This happened in 2005, but they failed because of their poor strategy.
When migrations are not managed in the proper way, they are bound to
failure.

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
krackedpress krackedpress

Re: interesting...

One article was in 2005 and the other was less than a year ago. So OOo
was out in 2005 and was not as good working with MSO files as LO is now.

The real issue is the "proprietary" software/files in the things like
Enterprise level database and mail systems.  The newer of the two
articles seems not to indicate anything about the "standard" PC office
package for the city.  They may have found a way to use an "open
standard" office package, but only reported the problems with the
Enterprise open-source issues.

Still, it is interesting that the movement to open-source packages
and/or ODF was being looked into as early as 2005.  That would indicate
that for over 7 years, companies have been working on the movement
towards "open formats" and open-source packages.  We can surely say that
it is not a "new thing" that has come out in the past 2 or 3 years.

On 11/27/12 4:22 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

> The real issue is the "proprietary" software/files in the things like
> Enterprise level database and mail systems.  The newer of the two
> articles seems not to indicate anything about the "standard" PC office
> package for the city.  They may have found a way to use an "open
> standard" office package, but only reported the problems with the
> Enterprise open-source issues.

Forget about any open standard: they use Windows and Microsoft Office.
They were supposed to switch to Linux, but they have miserably missed
because of poor planning and lack of communication.

> Still, it is interesting that the movement to open-source packages
> and/or ODF was being looked into as early as 2005.  That would indicate
> that for over 7 years, companies have been working on the movement
> towards "open formats" and open-source packages.  We can surely say that
> it is not a "new thing" that has come out in the past 2 or 3 years.

Unfortunately, this also means that Microsoft has lobbied against ODF
and open formats for the same amount of time. They have started when
Massachusetts has chosen ODF as default format, and have managed to
replace the state CIO who made the decision.

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP [hidden email]
skype italovignoli - gtalk [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

Re: Ad on Facebook?

I have found a new article which coul be useful:

http://refugeeks.com/RefuGeeks/2012/07/why-pay-for-microsoft-office/

other ideas may be eventually targeting students (who could be attracted by the saving money) and schools (eg primary schools, copying the idea of microsoft, eg by sending a cd with a presentation letter or simply a printed brochure or poster).

________________________________

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Provided that TDF has the budget, would you guys agree to have a
> sponsored link on Facebook?

I think we should discus this under LibreOffice 4.0 marketing plan.

> Thanks,
> --
> Charles-H. Schulz
> Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,
> Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> Rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Ad on Facebook?

Hello Paolo,

Before this turns into another circular discussion please take a look here:
http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2012/10/21/marketing-workshop-2012/

Thanks,
Charles.
Le 2 déc. 2012 15:09, "Paolo Debortoli" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> I have found a new article which coul be useful:
>
> http://refugeeks.com/RefuGeeks/2012/07/why-pay-for-microsoft-office/
>

> other ideas may be eventually targeting students (who could be attracted
> by the saving money) and schools (eg primary schools, copying the idea of
> microsoft, eg by sending a cd with a presentation letter or simply a
> printed brochure or poster).
>

> ________________________________

Robert Ryley Robert Ryley

Re: Ad on Facebook?

A bit late to this thread, but I have a question:

What would be accomplished by a Facebook ad campaign?  How would that
help the financing or development goals of the project?

The empirical analysis of Facebook advertising is not good.  When
large entities with large budgets and quants to crunch the numbers
start pulling back, you had better re-think your course of action if
something is a good idea.

For example:
Facebook: The Best Show In Town
http://adcontrarian.blogspot.com/2012/05/facebook-best-show-in-town.html

Quote:
On Tuesday, the big bomb hit when GM announced it was cancelling $10
million in Facebook ads. According the The Wall Street Journal...

"General Motors Co. plans to stop advertising on Facebook after the
auto maker's executives determined their paid ads had little impact on
consumers' car purchases... (GM) will continue to expand its use of
marketing through Facebook's pages, in which marketers can display
content at no cost..."

Might Facebook be a good medium for LO advertising?  Perhaps, but I'd
doubt it.  The only time I click on a FB ad is by accident.

I had a small success earlier this year writing a small blurb for a
trade publication (the American Medical Writers' Association) about
LO.  It might be a good idea to get articles about the benefits of LO,
or case studies about organizations that moved over to LO, published
in relevant communities.  I would much rather see developers or the
full time members of the organization use the funds, rather than some
advertiser.

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Ad on Facebook?

Hello Robert,

People don't buy Libreoffice. The ads would not be used to raise money but
to drive adoption and.increase brand recognition.

Best.

Charles.
Le 2 déc. 2012 18:54, "Robert Ryley" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> A bit late to this thread, but I have a question:
>
> What would be accomplished by a Facebook ad campaign?  How would that
> help the financing or development goals of the project?
>
> The empirical analysis of Facebook advertising is not good.  When
> large entities with large budgets and quants to crunch the numbers
> start pulling back, you had better re-think your course of action if
> something is a good idea.
>
> For example:
> Facebook: The Best Show In Town
> http://adcontrarian.blogspot.com/2012/05/facebook-best-show-in-town.html
>
> Quote:
> On Tuesday, the big bomb hit when GM announced it was cancelling $10
> million in Facebook ads. According the The Wall Street Journal...
>
> "General Motors Co. plans to stop advertising on Facebook after the
> auto maker's executives determined their paid ads had little impact on
> consumers' car purchases... (GM) will continue to expand its use of
> marketing through Facebook's pages, in which marketers can display
> content at no cost..."
>
> Might Facebook be a good medium for LO advertising?  Perhaps, but I'd
> doubt it.  The only time I click on a FB ad is by accident.
>
> I had a small success earlier this year writing a small blurb for a
> trade publication (the American Medical Writers' Association) about
> LO.  It might be a good idea to get articles about the benefits of LO,
> or case studies about organizations that moved over to LO, published
> in relevant communities.  I would much rather see developers or the
> full time members of the organization use the funds, rather than some
> advertiser.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Ad on Facebook?

On 12/02/2012 12:54 PM, Robert Ryley wrote:
> A bit late to this thread, but I have a question:
>
> What would be accomplished by a Facebook ad campaign?  How would that
> help the financing or development goals of the project?
>
> The empirical analysis of Facebook advertising is not good.  When
> large entities with large budgets and quants to crunch the numbers
> start pulling back, you had better re-think your course of action if
> something is a good idea.
If it is a free Facebook page as alluded below then definitely yes
because to improve awareness you must "advertise" where potential users are

--
Jay Lozier

Next » 12