Adding keyboard shortcut

Rich Shepard Rich Shepard

Adding keyboard shortcut

   I want to add the Delete action to ctrl-d, preferably in all components
but most importantly in Writer. When I use Tools -> Customize -> Keyboard
there is no 'delete' action available to assign to ctrl-d. There are abundant
delete-<something> actions, but not the same action as produced by the Del
key.

   Please show me how I can make ctrl-d act the same as Del.

TIA,

Rich

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Adding keyboard shortcut

Rich Shepard wrote

> I want to add the Delete action to ctrl-d, preferably in all components
> but most importantly in Writer. When I use Tools -> Customize -> Keyboard
> there is no 'delete' action available to assign to ctrl-d. There are
> abundant
> delete-
> <something>
>  actions, but not the same action as produced by the Del
> key.
>
>    Please show me how I can make ctrl-d act the same as Del.

The *delete* you want is assigned in LibreOffice via the "Backspace"
function, aka a *rubout*.

In Tools -> Customize: Keyboard tab,  select the Ctrl+d key--then search in
the Functions field for "backspace", then click on Modify.  The Ctrl+D key
will drop double underline and take on Backspace.  Both it and the Backspace
key will now show that function.

Rich Shepard Rich Shepard

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, V Stuart Foote wrote:

> The *delete* you want is assigned in LibreOffice via the "Backspace"
> function, aka a *rubout*.

   Not quite. The backspace key deletes the character to the left of the
cursor's position while the Del key deletes the character to the right of
the cursor's position. I want to make ctrl-d function like the Del key.

Thanks,

Rich

TomD TomD

Re: Adding keyboard shortcut

Hi :)
The crucial part is at the end of Stuart's email.  Apparently you can
modify the action of "backspace" by following his advice.
Regards from
a Tom :)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 00:19 Rich Shepard, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, V Stuart Foote wrote:
>
> > The *delete* you want is assigned in LibreOffice via the "Backspace"
> > function, aka a *rubout*.
>
>    Not quite. The backspace key deletes the character to the left of the
> cursor's position while the Del key deletes the character to the right of
> the cursor's position. I want to make ctrl-d function like the Del key.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Adding keyboard shortcut

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 01:19:15 +0000
Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> The crucial part is at the end of Stuart's email.  Apparently you can
> modify the action of "backspace" by following his advice.
> Regards from
> a Tom :)

Rich doesn't want to modify Backspace; he doesn't want to do anything
with backspace.

He doesn't want to modify Delete either; he simply wants to assign an
additional key to have the same action (i.e. Delete, *not* Backspace)

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 00:19 Rich Shepard, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, V Stuart Foote wrote:
> >
> > > The *delete* you want is assigned in LibreOffice via the
> > > "Backspace" function, aka a *rubout*.
> >
> >    Not quite. The backspace key deletes the character to the left
> > of the cursor's position while the Del key deletes the character to
> > the right of the cursor's position. I want to make ctrl-d function
> > like the Del key.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rich

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Adding keyboard shortcut

This post was updated on .
Rich Shepard wrote
>> The *delete* you want is assigned in LibreOffice via the "Backspace"
>> function, aka a *rubout*.
>
>    Not quite. The backspace key deletes the character to the left of the
> cursor's position while the Del key deletes the character to the right of
> the cursor's position. I want to make ctrl-d function like the Del key.

Yes sorry, that is correct. They are different deletions. The "Delete"
performs what is also called a "forward delete".
Have looked at the project source code.  The forward delete action is among
a class of actions directly implemented in the edit shell and assigned to
the keyboard (symkey) for the Delete key.

It is not  available to assign to additional Keyboard shortcut or menu
entry.

Doing so would require creation of an UNO commond to perform the deletion,
and that would be available for use in UI customization.

Sorry.

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018, V Stuart Foote wrote:

> Rich Shepard wrote
>>> The *delete* you want is assigned in LibreOffice via the "Backspace"
>>> function, aka a *rubout*.
>>
>>    Not quite. The backspace key deletes the character to the left of the
>> cursor's position while the Del key deletes the character to the right of
>> the cursor's position. I want to make ctrl-d function like the Del key.
>
> Yes sorry, that is correct. They are different deletions. The "Delete"
> performs what is also called a "forward delete".
> Have looked at the project source code.  The forward delete action is among
> a class of actions directly implemented in the edit shell and assigned to
> the keyboard (symkey) for the Delete key.
>
> It is not  available to assign to additional Keyboard shortcut or menu
> entry.
>
> Doing so would require creation of an UNO commond to perform the deletion,
> that would be available for use in UI customization.

That seems like something that should be corrected. What other actions
are directly implemented like that?

In the meantime, would it work to define a macro that does
forward-character and then backward-delete, and bind it to Ctrl-D?

- Robert

pietvo pietvo

Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 01:19:15 +0000
> Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi :)
>> The crucial part is at the end of Stuart's email.  Apparently you can
>> modify the action of "backspace" by following his advice.
>> Regards from
>> a Tom :)
>
> Rich doesn't want to modify Backspace; he doesn't want to do anything
> with backspace.
>
> He doesn't want to modify Delete either; he simply wants to assign an
> additional key to have the same action (i.e. Delete, *not* Backspace)

That action is called 'Delete Contents' (as you can see on the Del key in the list). However, if you assign ^D to this function, the Del key might lose it, unless this is working at the OS level. It seems that LO only allows at most one shortcut key for each function.
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://piet.vanoostrum.org/