Africa as a marketing target (?)

Luca Daghino @ Libero Luca Daghino @ Libero

Africa as a marketing target (?)

Hello,

Just read this about a teacher who drew a Word gui on a blackboard:

http://www.repubblica.it/tecnologia/social-network/2018/02/28/news/la_lavagna_diventa_un_documento_word_insegnante_del_ghana_condivide_la_lezione_sui_social-190002702/?ref=RHPPBT-BH-I0-C4-P1-S1.4-T1

He was obviously offered a full set of tools by MS.

So I thought maybe TDF should begin to do some marketing in that area?

Just a suggestion.

ByeBye

--
Luca Daghino
  - - - - - - - -

Edwin Lee Edwin Lee

Re: Africa as a marketing target (?)

Thanks Luca for the article. It's interesting to see what happens in other places.

I think it doesn't need to be just focused on Africa. A good question to ask, is what is LibreOffice / TDF doing in the education market? My intuition is that its effective to win students over to try to dampen the stickiness MS Office has. At least they will realize that there is an alternative.

Best,
Edwin

> On 1 Mar 2018, at 8:07 AM, Luca Daghino @ Libero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Just read this about a teacher who drew a Word gui on a blackboard:
>
> http://www.repubblica.it/tecnologia/social-network/2018/02/28/news/la_lavagna_diventa_un_documento_word_insegnante_del_ghana_condivide_la_lezione_sui_social-190002702/?ref=RHPPBT-BH-I0-C4-P1-S1.4-T1
>
> He was obviously offered a full set of tools by MS.
>
> So I thought maybe TDF should begin to do some marketing in that area?
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> ByeBye
>

> --
> Luca Daghino
> - - - - - - - -
> Icq/Licq/Gaim #175451007
> Debian Powered Linux Registered User #310800 at http://counter.li.org
> No retreat baby no surrender
> http://www.retenergie.it - coop di produttori e utilizzatori di energia da fonti rinnovabili
> tad evaarthamaatra-nirbhaasaM svaruupa-shuunyam iva samaadhiH
> Sanskrit - Realize it's the common language ;-)

Italo Vignoli-6 Italo Vignoli-6

Re: Africa as a marketing target (?)

Global marketing activities in education are extremely difficult,
because of the language issue (most education systems use the country
native language), and the costs associated to reaching all schools in a
country. Because of our size and budget, local communities should try to
reach schools, although we will never be able to reach the same results
of companies such as Microsoft and Apple with large budgets.

For instance, TDF supports the Italian community with a budget for
activities in schools, but the budget itself is peanuts in comparison
with Microsoft Italia budget (is less than 1/1000) where they give away
software and even hardware (Surface laptops).

On 01/03/2018 01:46, Edwin Lee wrote:

> Thanks Luca for the article. It's interesting to see what happens in other places.
>
> I think it doesn't need to be just focused on Africa. A good question to ask, is what is LibreOffice / TDF doing in the education market? My intuition is that its effective to win students over to try to dampen the stickiness MS Office has. At least they will realize that there is an alternative.
>
> Best,
> Edwin
>
>> On 1 Mar 2018, at 8:07 AM, Luca Daghino @ Libero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just read this about a teacher who drew a Word gui on a blackboard:
>>
>> http://www.repubblica.it/tecnologia/social-network/2018/02/28/news/la_lavagna_diventa_un_documento_word_insegnante_del_ghana_condivide_la_lezione_sui_social-190002702/?ref=RHPPBT-BH-I0-C4-P1-S1.4-T1
>>
>> He was obviously offered a full set of tools by MS.
>>
>> So I thought maybe TDF should begin to do some marketing in that area?

mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email [hidden email]
hangout/jabber [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Africa as a marketing target (?)

I have not looked into this is a few years - but, how many African
languages does LO language packs support?  To be honest, I do not know
which language name goes with which country in the world, except the
"commonly known ones" like for Brazil and Mexico.

Yes if there were people with "boots on the ground" in these areas that
are promoting LibreOffice, there may be some good there.

As for MS hardware, do you know how much it costs to replace a bad
battery in a tablet style [Surface included] device? I have a laptop
that has no easy way to replace the battery after the warranty ends.
Internal battery devices that do not have screws holding it together
cost a lot of money to replace the batteries. So, even if MS donates
Surface tablet/laptops, people will have to pay good money to get the
battery replaced. I know this since I priced the cost of replacing the
battery for a tablet.  It costs less to buy a new one.

So, getting MS Office and MS Surface notebook for free is not a good
deal in the long run.

Actually, I saw a program on PBS that had low cost smart phones with
solar charges as African people's only access to the Internet and their
way to do business.  The program was about ways for areas without
landline phone service to have access with low cost cell towers set up
for cell phone access to the "world". There are areas in the USA that
only have cell phone access, since it is cheaper to put up cell towers
than to wire every home.

SO, if we could look into what these areas of the world have access to
as their "computer device", we could make some marketing materials for
the local people to promote LibreOffice and free software. I cannot wait
till LO has a Android version of their office. Not reader, but
creation.  MS is in that market. There are a few packages other than
that, but I would prefer using LO's version when it comes out.

Toki Toki

On 03/01/2018 12:46 AM, Edwin Lee wrote:

> A good question to ask, is what is LibreOffice / TDF doing in the education market?

The French Team produced a lot of material that is useful for school
students in francophone countries. Having that type of material
available, makes it much easier to persuade school systems to migrate to
LibreOffice.

One of the dirty secrets of North American schools, is that the majority
of the lesson plans are created and distributed by commercial outfits,
to promote their message. A message that, more often than not, bears
little resemblance to factual, objective, data.

This is why the education market needs to be done by local groups. How
"big" geographically the group should be, depends upon education is
handled by the government.
* In France, for example, the same subject will taught at the same time,
using the same textbook, regardless of where the school is located.
Students that are home educated don't get a free pass. To persuade the
educational to utilise LibreOffice, one needs to work at the National
Government level;
* In the United States, things are decided at the very local level.
Possible the school district, but possibly even the specific school The
The Federal government lays out what it will fund, the state government
lays out how that funding is allocated, the local school district
decides what specifically will be funded from that money. Since local
schools will usually prefer to fund their football team, and ignore
things like textbooks, companies find it extremely profitable to give
lesson plans, and other "educational" materials to the schools;
* In South Africa, funding is allocated at the provincial level, but it
is inadequate to pay for everything that the school needs. Consequently,
schools use whatever material they can get. In theory, corporations are
not supposed to provide material, but in practice, it slips through the
cracks. (Bribes to the appropriate members of the Department of
Education works wonderfully well, in ensuring that your material goes
out. Got to keep those ANC members earning big bucks for doing nothing.);

>My intuition is that its effective to win students over to try to dampen the stickiness MS Office has.

INGOTS was doing quite a bit in that area.  I don't know what happened
to them.

>At least they will realize that there is an alternative.

At a local community college, there is a small group trying to get
MSO365/Outlook/Edge replaced with LibreOffice/Thunderbird/Firefox, with
the ultimate goal of replacing Microsoft Windows with Linux.

That group is facing some major issues:
* LibreOffice does not play nicely with a11y software. (This is/was an
informal policy on the part of both Nuance and Freedom Scientific. VGO
Group has done nothing to indicate that they will relinquish that policy.)
* Most educational software does not have Libreoffice
support/import-export functionality. If one is going to be exporting to
either Word or Excel format, then why not just use MSO?
* There is little to no intermediate or advanced instructional material
for LibreOffice. By way of example, what is the equivalent of, say,
_Financial Simulation Modelling in Excel_ Keith Allman et. al. (ISBN
978-0-470-93122-6.) for LibreOffice?

Solve those three issues, and uptake in the educational market will be
much easier.

jonathon