Alignment in heading-styled numbered-paragraphs text

Xiha Xiha

Alignment in heading-styled numbered-paragraphs text

Hello,

I am trying to make use of heading-like paragraph styles in order to
make a document of numbered paragraphs with nested levels. Something
like (view this in monospaced font if it does not show like that;
however in my document I do not particularly want to use a monosopaced
font):

1. Here is some first text and
    note how the text is aligned
    vertically in a straight line
    on the left.
    1.1 Here is a subitem of that
        first item and again the
        text is aligned in a
        straight line.
        1.1.1 And one more level
              down. You get the
              idea.
        1.1.2 Et cetera et cetera
              et cetera.

The reason I want to use paragraph styles rather than a numbered list is
that I want the structure to show up in the Navigator, which is very
handy to get an overview with its collapsible levels, and also for a TOC.

After much wrangling with style definitions (Indents & Spacing) and
Outline Numbering, I can't quite get it the way shown above. Somehow I'm
not getting the straight left alignment emphasized above. Also, ideally,
I don't want to use fixed tab positions and the like: I want the first
"1" of "1.1" to align (automatically?) with the left border of the text
at "1.", and so on.

(Tables might make this kind of alignment easier, but then I'd lose the
nice overview in Navigator again.)

Is this possible, and can someone put me on the right track?

Thank you!

pietervo pietervo

Re: Alignment in heading-styled numbered-paragraphs text

Xiha wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I am trying to make use of heading-like paragraph styles in order to
 > make a document of numbered paragraphs with nested levels. Something
 > like (view this in monospaced font if it does not show like that;
 > however in my document I do not particularly want to use a monosopaced
 > font):
 >
 > 1. Here is some first text and
 >     note how the text is aligned
 >     vertically in a straight line
 >     on the left.
 >     1.1 Here is a subitem of that
 >         first item and again the
 >         text is aligned in a
 >         straight line.
 >         1.1.1 And one more level
 >               down. You get the
 >               idea.
 >         1.1.2 Et cetera et cetera
 >               et cetera.
 >
 > The reason I want to use paragraph styles rather than a numbered list is
 > that I want the structure to show up in the Navigator, which is very
 > handy to get an overview with its collapsible levels, and also for a TOC.

You can still use numbered paragraphs, for example the paragraph styles Numbering1, Numbering2, etc or a copy of them. In the paragraph style choose the Outline and Numbering tab. For Outline level, choose Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 etc. This causes the paragraphs to appear like headings in the Navigator. For Numbering style choose Numbering 1 (for all levels), and you will apply the different indents in the Numbering 1 list style.

 > After much wrangling with style definitions (Indents & Spacing) and
 > Outline Numbering, I can't quite get it the way shown above. Somehow I'm
 > not getting the straight left alignment emphasized above. Also, ideally,
 > I don't want to use fixed tab positions and the like: I want the first
 > "1" of "1.1" to align (automatically?) with the left border of the text
 > at "1.", and so on.

You do this by specifying the proper offsets in the Numbering 1 list style. Here is an example:
In tab Options you specify the number of sublevels. For Level n, you have Show sublevels = n, so you get the numbering 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc.
In tab Position: All of them Numbering alignment: Left, Followed by Tab stop
Level 1: Aligned at 0cm, Tab stop at 0.5cm, Indent at 0.5cm
Level 2: Aligned at 0.5cm, Tab stop at 1.2cm, Indent at 1.2cm
Level 3: Aligned at 1.2cm, Tab stop at 2.3cm, Indent at 2.3cm

Each level is aligned at the Tab stop of the previous level. Tab stop = Indent, and the difference between 'Tab stop' and 'Aligned at' should be big enough to accomodate the numbering.
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 06/05/2015 10:50 AM, Xiha wrote:
> I am trying to make use of heading-like paragraph styles in order to make a document of numbered paragraphs with nested levels.

The simplest way to do what you want is:
* Create paragraph style 1: This is the default paragraph style;
* Set both the left hand margin and right hand margin to "0";
* Ensure that all presentation markup, other than numbering, is the way
that you want it to be.
* Set both the left hand margin and right margin to "0";
* Go to Outline Numbering;
* Set "paragraph style 1" as level 1;
* Set number as "1,2,3.."
* Set character style as "none";
* Set start at as "1";
* Go to Stylist, click on "paragraph style 1" to create a new style;
* Call this new style "paragraph style 2";
* Set the left hand margin to 1 cm, and the right margin to 0";
* Save this style;
* Go to Outline Numbering.
* Set "paragraph style 2" as level 2"
* Set number as "1, 2, 3, ..."
* Set character style as "none";
* Set "Show Sublevels" to "2";
* Set start at as "1";
* Save this setting;
* Go to Stylist, click on "paragraph style 2" to create a new style;
* Call this new style "paragraph style 3";
* Set the left hand margin to 2 cm, and the right margin to 0";
* Save this style;
* Go to Outline Numbering.
* Set "paragraph style 3" as level 3"
* Set number as "1, 2, 3, ..."
* Set character style as "none";
* Set "Show Sublevels" to "3";
* Set start at as "3";
* Save this setting;
* Go to Stylist, click on "paragraph style 3" to create a new style;
* Call this new style "paragraph style 4";
* Set the left hand margin to 3 cm, and the right margin to 0";
* Save this style;
* Go to Outline Numbering.
* Set "paragraph style 4" as level 4"
* Set number as "1, 2, 3, ..."
* Set character style as "none";
* Set "Show Sublevels" to "4";
* Set start at as "1";
* Save this setting;
* Go to Stylist, click on "paragraph style 4" to create a new style;
* Call this new style "paragraph style 5";
* Set the left hand margin to 4 cm, and the right margin to 0";
* Save this style;
* Go to Outline Numbering.
* Set "paragraph style 5" as level 5"
* Set number as "1, 2, 3, ..."
* Set character style as "none";
* Set "Show Sublevels" to "5";
* Set start at as "1";
* Save this setting;

That gives you five numbered paragraph styles.

Caution:  This method won't allow you to use headings as they normally
are used.

jonathon