Another look at the Wiki

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

Another look at the Wiki

Hi

After exporting some literature (books, (1), (2)) to our wiki, I found
the current layout of the wiki pages sub-optimal for comfortable reading.

It hits me to have very long lines in a modern, hi-res screen and pages
with many outline entries creates a long index on top of page.
therefore, contents starts after rolling the page a bit.

Can we consider an alternate layout specific for long readings, where
the width of the screen is reduced and the ToC is placed closer to the
contents? The AOO wiki looks better in this case and can be source of
ideas for our own wiki:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide/Adding_Template_Files
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide

Thank you

(1) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo

(2)
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Understanding,_Authoring_and_Editing_Openoffice.org_Help

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator

K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Re: Another look at the Wiki

Perhaps we ask Dennis (cc'ed), if he knows a "fast" solution.

Am 13.06.2019 um 20:18 schrieb Olivier Hallot:

> Hi
>
> After exporting some literature (books, (1), (2)) to our wiki, I found
> the current layout of the wiki pages sub-optimal for comfortable reading.
>
> It hits me to have very long lines in a modern, hi-res screen and pages
> with many outline entries creates a long index on top of page.
> therefore, contents starts after rolling the page a bit.
>
> Can we consider an alternate layout specific for long readings, where
> the width of the screen is reduced and the ToC is placed closer to the
> contents? The AOO wiki looks better in this case and can be source of
> ideas for our own wiki:
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide/Adding_Template_Files
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide
>
> Thank you
>
> (1) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo
>
> (2)
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Understanding,_Authoring_and_Editing_Openoffice.org_Help

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
https://de.libreoffice.org
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

Dennis Roczek Dennis Roczek

Re: Another look at the Wiki

Hi everybody,

sorry, rather busy at the moment.

Yes, there do exists some possibilities. :-)

Basically there has to be some steps made:
1) remove the basic individual added style sheets
so as an example

| style="background-color:#5382a1;border-top:1pt solid
#35556b;border-bottom:1pt solid #5382a1;border-left:1pt solid
#35556b;border-right:none;padding:0cm;color:#6666ff;" | <span
style="color:#ffffff;">'''Value'''</span>

at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/WikiAction/edit/Documentation/Understanding,_Authoring_and_Editing_Openoffice.org_Help/2

Rather hard and manual word; use search and replace ;-)

2) the interesting part: create some CSS rules and put it by an
administrator into the following file [0]

3) place some template at the top / bottom to add the style sheets to
the whole text

Alternatively: to step 3 we can install the following extension: [2]

Before modifying the Common.css please try it in your userspace, see [4]

@Olivier: why not using the print version when reading or the browser
based feature to read the content in a well defined reading mode? [1]

[0] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/MediaWiki:Common.css
[1]
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-reader-view-clutter-free-web-pages
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CSS