AskLO account: How to change OpenId association?

Owen Genat Owen Genat

AskLO account: How to change OpenId association?

I am raising this issue on behalf of a few recent queries on the AskLO site:

- http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/33925/i-set-up-my-account-with-myopenid-now-i-cant-log-in/
- http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/36094/how-to-recover-my-account-on-asklibreofficeorg/

Because OpenId providers can close, I feel it would be good if someone could write a step-by-step answer on how to associate a new OpenId with an existing AskLO account. After searching the AskBot forum for answers to this issue I am not even certain if the AskBot software caters for this, although presumably it does.

I am hoping the website team can assist.
Thanks. Owen.
Owen Genat Owen Genat

Re: AskLO account: How to change OpenId association?

There is still no solution to this matter that was raised several months ago. Can we get some instructions up on the wiki about how users of the Ask site can re-associate a new OpenID with their Ask account? Even a response to say it is currently not possible, but we are working on it would be helpful.
Thanks, Owen.
Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Owen Genat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is still no solution to this matter that was raised several months ago.
> Can we get some instructions up on the wiki about how users of the Ask site
> can re-associate a new OpenID with their Ask account? Even a response to say
> it is currently not possible, but we are working on it would be helpful.

Heya Owen,

Quickly off the top of my head: I believe that one can reset the
OpenID association *if* an email address is linked to the account. I
think that's stored as a separate field in the backend of Askbot, but
don't quote me on that :P Mucking around in the GUI to the backend to
try to re-associate a new OpenID provider with an account is painful,
to say the least.

If there's no email association, once the OpenID provider goes away, I
don't believe there's any other mechanism for authentication a
particular account and an individual, so then it's just guesswork or
the do-we-know-this-contributor-already?-game.

Aside from eventual goals to have our own SSO provider, I just suggest
that people stick with OpenID sites they trust to remain afloat;
Google or UbuntuONE are both (probably) pretty safe bets.

Jean S. -- Any update on the work on SSO for our authentication?

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon