Australia-New Zealand marketing group?

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Australia-New Zealand marketing group?

If someone thinks Canada is a small market, try Australia -- or New
Zealand! Even together, we're not a large mob. On the other hand, we
really don't fit in with the other English-speaking markets in many
ways, and we do have relevant local events and organisations to
consider, such as Linux.conf.au. So a local marketing group could be
useful -- assuming there are enough of us to form a group.

I am not offering to be a marketing contact; I'm much too busy with
documentation, and I don't like talking being a media contact anyway.
I do enjoy being a booth being at events and helping out behind the
scenes, and of course as an opinionated senior citizen I can be relied
on to offer my opinion (or in some cases, "stir" as we call it).

Other than Graham Lauder from NZ, I have no idea how many Aus-NZ people
are active here at TDF. I did notice Alex Fisher's strongly negative
comments on the OOo Marketing list.

Graham and others, what do you think?

Cheers, Jean

yorick yorick

Re: Australia-New Zealand marketing group?

On Wednesday 13 Oct 2010 11:20:01 Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

> If someone thinks Canada is a small market, try Australia -- or New
> Zealand! Even together, we're not a large mob. On the other hand, we
> really don't fit in with the other English-speaking markets in many
> ways, and we do have relevant local events and organisations to
> consider, such as Linux.conf.au. So a local marketing group could be
> useful -- assuming there are enough of us to form a group.
>
> I am not offering to be a marketing contact; I'm much too busy with
> documentation, and I don't like talking being a media contact anyway.
> I do enjoy being a booth being at events and helping out behind the
> scenes, and of course as an opinionated senior citizen I can be relied
> on to offer my opinion (or in some cases, "stir" as we call it).
>
> Other than Graham Lauder from NZ, I have no idea how many Aus-NZ people
> are active here at TDF. I did notice Alex Fisher's strongly negative
> comments on the OOo Marketing list.
>
> Graham and others, what do you think?
>
> Cheers, Jean

Hi Jean

I think that's a brilliant Idea.

In fact how about a Western Pacific group. Looking at reasonably close
timezones,  say from WA time to IDT. That includes China Standard Time so
brings Peter Junge in Beijing into the mix as well as Singapore Shanghai and
Japan and all of Oz and NZ of course over a five hour span.  Add another hour
past IDT and we add Hawaii as well

Thinking on a larger scale, that makes Singapore or Darwin or Shanghai or Ho
Chi Minh or Seoul or Honolulu excellent sites for a Zone conference.  :)

Is Jonothan Coombes still active about the place.

Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

Dave Johnson Dave Johnson

Re: Australia-New Zealand marketing group?

I would love to be marketing contact for the U.S.
On Oct 12, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Graham Lauder wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 Oct 2010 11:20:01 Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
>> If someone thinks Canada is a small market, try Australia -- or New
>> Zealand! Even together, we're not a large mob. On the other hand, we
>> really don't fit in with the other English-speaking markets in many
>> ways, and we do have relevant local events and organisations to
>> consider, such as Linux.conf.au. So a local marketing group could be
>> useful -- assuming there are enough of us to form a group.
>>
>> I am not offering to be a marketing contact; I'm much too busy with
>> documentation, and I don't like talking being a media contact anyway.
>> I do enjoy being a booth being at events and helping out behind the
>> scenes, and of course as an opinionated senior citizen I can be relied
>> on to offer my opinion (or in some cases, "stir" as we call it).
>>
>> Other than Graham Lauder from NZ, I have no idea how many Aus-NZ people
>> are active here at TDF. I did notice Alex Fisher's strongly negative
>> comments on the OOo Marketing list.
>>
>> Graham and others, what do you think?
>>
>> Cheers, Jean
>

> Hi Jean
>
> I think that's a brilliant Idea.
>
> In fact how about a Western Pacific group. Looking at reasonably close
> timezones,  say from WA time to IDT. That includes China Standard Time so
> brings Peter Junge in Beijing into the mix as well as Singapore Shanghai and
> Japan and all of Oz and NZ of course over a five hour span.  Add another hour
> past IDT and we add Hawaii as well
>
> Thinking on a larger scale, that makes Singapore or Darwin or Shanghai or Ho
> Chi Minh or Seoul or Honolulu excellent sites for a Zone conference.  :)
>
> Is Jonothan Coombes still active about the place.
>
> Cheers

> Graham Lauder,
> OpenOffice.org MarCon (Marketing Contact) NZ
> http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html
>
> OpenOffice.org Migration and training Consultant.
>
> INGOTs Assessor Trainer
> (International Grades in Open Technologies)
> www.theingots.org

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Australia-New Zealand marketing group?

Dave, that comment might be better made in the other thread about a US
or North American marketing group, not this thread about ANZ--just so it
doesn't get lost or overlooked.

--Jean

drewjensen drewjensen

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 10:34 +1000, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> Dave, that comment might be better made in the other thread about a US
> or North American marketing group, not this thread about ANZ--just so it
> doesn't get lost or overlooked.
>
> --Jean

Now hold on there - didn't I see an email where you guys where going to
annex Hawaii. I've been thinking about that, OK, but if you want HI, you
gotta take Paw Paw, West Virginia also, we get Papua, New Guinea and an
island to be named later.

If you agree - then all that's left is the pinky shake.

//anonymous coward

Document Foundation Mail Archives
yorick yorick

On Wednesday 13 Oct 2010 14:12:19 Drew Jensen wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 10:34 +1000, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> > Dave, that comment might be better made in the other thread about a US
> > or North American marketing group, not this thread about ANZ--just so it
> > doesn't get lost or overlooked.
> >
> > --Jean
>
> Now hold on there - didn't I see an email where you guys where going to
> annex Hawaii. I've been thinking about that, OK, but if you want HI, you
> gotta take Paw Paw, West Virginia also, we get Papua, New Guinea and an
> island to be named later.
>
> If you agree - then all that's left is the pinky shake.
>
> //anonymous coward

Alright OKOKOK you can keep Hawaii just don't give us anything of west
Virginia, we only wanted Hawaii  for conference anyway, I was a Lost fan
(until the last episode) and I just wanted to nosy about the beach to see if I
could find the hatch. .

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Wed, 2010-10-13, Graham Lauder wrote:

> Hi Jean
>
> I think that's a brilliant Idea.
>
> In fact how about a Western Pacific group. Looking at reasonably close
> timezones,  say from WA time to IDT. That includes China Standard Time so
> brings Peter Junge in Beijing into the mix as well as Singapore Shanghai and
> Japan and all of Oz and NZ of course over a five hour span.  Add another hour
> past IDT and we add Hawaii as well
>
> Thinking on a larger scale, that makes Singapore or Darwin or Shanghai or Ho
> Chi Minh or Seoul or Honolulu excellent sites for a Zone conference.  :)

I'm dubious about of the value of including China and Japan (and
Malaysia and Indonesia and others) in a marketing group with Oz & NZ,
because of the language differences. Much as I like the idea of a zone
conference in some exotic (to me) place...

> Is Jonothan Coombes still active about the place.

The last I heard, Jonathan had got a "real" job that left him no free
time. I haven't heard from him in ages.

--Jean