Auto recovery problem

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Auto recovery problem

I'm trying to create a mail merge document for a letter.  I'm adding
fields directly to retain formatting control and NOT have to deal with a
text block which is how the wizard inserts addresses.  I've had some
success after a LONG time trying to figure out how to do this.
Documentation is a bit lacking on this approach.

The real problem is happening when I try to close and then reopen the
document.  The file appears to close fine but when I try to reopen it,
LibreOffice seems to think the file is damaged.  I can recover and the
file opens fine, but same thing happens when I try to reopen again.  I
can also "discard" the auto-recovery which should fix the auto-recover
so it doesn't come up again, but in fact it DOES.  Even when discarding
recovery points, the program continues to think there's a problem with
the file and re-opens the auto recovery.

I can't find any way to deal with this problem.  BTW, it seems that I
finally figured out how to generate the merged letters, so I assume the
file is basically OK.  But I still get the auto-recovery screen.

I'd love to get this to stop.  It's a hassle, slows me down, and doesn't
show LO at it's best when I'm showing friends and clients.

Carl

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Auto recovery problem

Two things are needed to help you: your version of LibreOffice, and
your operating system.

Dan

On 2/4/19 4:43 PM, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> I'm trying to create a mail merge document for a letter.  I'm adding
> fields directly to retain formatting control and NOT have to deal with
> a text block which is how the wizard inserts addresses.  I've had some
> success after a LONG time trying to figure out how to do this.
> Documentation is a bit lacking on this approach.
>
> The real problem is happening when I try to close and then reopen the
> document.  The file appears to close fine but when I try to reopen it,
> LibreOffice seems to think the file is damaged.  I can recover and the
> file opens fine, but same thing happens when I try to reopen again.  I
> can also "discard" the auto-recovery which should fix the auto-recover
> so it doesn't come up again, but in fact it DOES.  Even when
> discarding recovery points, the program continues to think there's a
> problem with the file and re-opens the auto recovery.
>
> I can't find any way to deal with this problem.  BTW, it seems that I
> finally figured out how to generate the merged letters, so I assume
> the file is basically OK.  But I still get the auto-recovery screen.
>
> I'd love to get this to stop.  It's a hassle, slows me down, and
> doesn't show LO at it's best when I'm showing friends and clients.
>
> Carl

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Re: Auto recovery problem

Windows 10.  I think the LO version is either 6.1.4 or the previous
one.  Note that earlier in the day I was struggling with the same
problems and saw that LO was telling me there was a new release.  So in
desperation I upgraded, which I think was to 6.1.4.  That computer is
down for the night but I can check again tomorrow.  In any case that
didn't fix it.

Note that I eventually got the system to work...sometimes.  I had
de-registered the databases for my other issue, cleared the
auto-recovery, started working with new files and got them to work
sometimes.  An example is a label document, where I saved the labels as
a LO Writer document with the merge fields in it, and merged to a full
sheet.  That document continues to open with the auto-recover for
itself, whether I discard the recovery point or not.  When it opens it
seems to work fine.

With another document, a merge letter, I saved it with merge fields in
place.  That one appears to open without the auto-recovery, though this
one opened with merge data in the place of the fields.  And in this case
I at some point I exchanged databases so I could build a merged file
with a second data set. What seems like is happening is the documents
get saved and closed, and then there's some kind of flag in the file
that didn't get reset by the save, which marks it as damaged/needing
recovery.  So it triggers the auto-recovery system even when it's not
needed.

Carl

On 2/4/19 6:06 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Two things are needed to help you: your version of LibreOffice, and
> your operating system.
>
> Dan
>
> On 2/4/19 4:43 PM, Carl Paulsen wrote:
>> I'm trying to create a mail merge document for a letter.  I'm adding
>> fields directly to retain formatting control and NOT have to deal
>> with a text block which is how the wizard inserts addresses.  I've
>> had some success after a LONG time trying to figure out how to do
>> this.  Documentation is a bit lacking on this approach.
>>
>> The real problem is happening when I try to close and then reopen the
>> document.  The file appears to close fine but when I try to reopen
>> it, LibreOffice seems to think the file is damaged.  I can recover
>> and the file opens fine, but same thing happens when I try to reopen
>> again.  I can also "discard" the auto-recovery which should fix the
>> auto-recover so it doesn't come up again, but in fact it DOES.  Even
>> when discarding recovery points, the program continues to think
>> there's a problem with the file and re-opens the auto recovery.
>>
>> I can't find any way to deal with this problem.  BTW, it seems that I
>> finally figured out how to generate the merged letters, so I assume
>> the file is basically OK.  But I still get the auto-recovery screen.
>>
>> I'd love to get this to stop.  It's a hassle, slows me down, and
>> doesn't show LO at it's best when I'm showing friends and clients.
>>
>> Carl

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

Re: Auto recovery problem

Carl,

I have experienced this endless auto-recovery on startup problem before.
Whenever I got it, I "reset" my user profile and it stopped doing it.
Offhand, I don't remember the exact steps to do that, but a search of
this forum should turn up the procedure or maybe someone out there who
knows it can give it to you. I have developed the process of
occasionally saving the good profile in a directory somewhere so I can
just copy it back to resolve such a problem and still keep my settings.

HTH.

Girvin Herr

On 2/4/19 4:13 PM, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> [...]
>>> the document.  The file appears to close fine but when I try to
>>> reopen it, LibreOffice seems to think the file is damaged.  I can
>>> recover and the file opens fine, but same thing happens when I try
>>> to reopen again.  I can also "discard" the auto-recovery which
>>> should fix the auto-recover so it doesn't come up again, but in fact
>>> it DOES.  Even when discarding recovery points, the program
>>> continues to think there's a problem with the file and re-opens the
>>> auto recovery.
>>>
>>> I can't find any way to deal with this problem.  BTW, it seems that
>>> I finally figured out how to generate the merged letters, so I
>>> assume the file is basically OK.  But I still get the auto-recovery
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> I'd love to get this to stop.  It's a hassle, slows me down, and
>>> doesn't show LO at it's best when I'm showing friends and clients.

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Re: Auto recovery problem

Thanks for this suggestion.  I'll try it next time I notice the problem
(which could be soon since I'm not convinced I've fixed it).

Carl