BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

jan iversen jan iversen

BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

Hi.

As part of a easyHack cleanup, I have changed the keyword "difficultyEasy" to "difficultyBeginner" so we are consistent. This is also consistent with the description on our wiki pages.

Can someone, with BZ admin karma, please remove the keyword "difficultyEasy".

thanks in advance.
rgds
jan i.

Sent from my iPad, please excuse any misspellings
sberg sberg

Re: BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

On 02/05/2016 11:46 AM, jan iversen wrote:
> As part of a easyHack cleanup, I have changed the keyword "difficultyEasy" to "difficultyBeginner" so we are consistent. This is also consistent with the description on our wiki pages.

Is there some way in BZ to do such renames without triggering CC mails
(esp. ones to the dev mailing list)?  I tend to remember that sometimes
similar changes in the past were done in such a way (and sometimes not)?

jan iversen jan iversen

Re: BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

> Is there some way in BZ to do such renames without triggering CC mails (esp. ones to the dev mailing list)?  I tend to remember that sometimes similar changes in the past were done in such a way (and sometimes not)?

That would be real good, because I will be doing quite a number of changes to the easyHacks like "compressing" comments and updating information. I am afraid that important changes might drown in that.

I heard from another BZ installation, that the admins have the power to supress emails, while doing bulk changes ?

rgds
jan i.

jan iversen jan iversen

Re: BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 12:50:08PM +0100, jan iversen wrote:
> I heard from another BZ installation, that the admins have the power to
> supress emails, while doing bulk changes ?

AFAIK one can only set off notifications globally. So:
1/ disable notifications
2/ do foo
3/ enable notifications

with the risks being: other stuff beyond foo done at the same time doesnt get
notifications, forgetting to reenable etc.

I should have admin right now (thanks moggi), but feel like this when in that
interface for now:

 http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/234/786/bf7.gif

Best,

Bjoern
Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Re: BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 12:50:08PM +0100, jan iversen wrote:
>> I heard from another BZ installation, that the admins have the power to
>> supress emails, while doing bulk changes ?

Yes, there's some limited email-suppression built-in for some builds
of Bugzilla. For our Bugzilla, I wrote some custom code to make it
possible to suppress all bug-change emails based on user_id (aka
"Ninja Edits"). I ran into some perm problems with gerrit, but if
those get resolved, I can check-in those changes. Now that recall,
I've actually got an improved version of my first patch that leverages
Bugzilla's built-in group system so that one can toggle Ninja group
status directly in the admin interface. Not that we should do silent
edits on a regular basis, but it can be handy in some special cases
;-)

> AFAIK one can only set off notifications globally. So:
> 1/ disable notifications
> 2/ do foo
> 3/ enable notifications
>
> with the risks being: other stuff beyond foo done at the same time doesnt get
> notifications, forgetting to reenable etc.

That's generally true, but (IIRC) Keywords may be renamed directly in
the admin interface without triggering any notification emails. One
change, and all bugs are updated. Easy, peasy!

Jan I: Feel free to ping me re: change requests for Keywords. We'll
want to make sure that any pertinent docs on are the wiki are updated,
and perhaps something else that I'm not remembering off the top of my
head...

> I should have admin right now (thanks moggi), but feel like this when in that
> interface for now:
>
>  http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/234/786/bf7.gif

Yeah, dealing with Bugzilla sometimes feels like wrestling with a Klingon targ.

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon
LibreOffice Community Outreach Herald
Christian Lohmaier-3 Christian Lohmaier-3

Re: BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

Hi *,

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Stephan Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/05/2016 11:46 AM, jan iversen wrote:
>>
>> As part of a easyHack cleanup, I have changed the keyword "difficultyEasy"
>> to "difficultyBeginner" so we are consistent. This is also consistent with
>> the description on our wiki pages.
>

> Is there some way in BZ to do such renames without triggering CC mails (esp.
> ones to the dev mailing list)?

the dev-ml could be excluded when impersoning as the dev-list when
doing the change...

but the ninja-Edit Robinson mentioned is more general solution.

ciao
Christian
jan iversen jan iversen

Re: BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

> Jan I: Feel free to ping me re: change requests for Keywords. We'll
> want to make sure that any pertinent docs on are the wiki are updated,
> and perhaps something else that I'm not remembering off the top of my
> head...

Thanks a lot,  I want to reduce the skill* keywords in the near future, and will mail you a list.

Most of my work is not changing keywords, but looking at the single issues and making adjustments, and of course sometimes I look at a lot of issues during a couple of hours, which can be quite disturbing...so I hoped for a solution, where I could change these issues, without generating mail without affecting the mail generation from others.

> Yeah, dealing with Bugzilla sometimes feels like wrestling with a Klingon targ.
Be happy we do not use Jira

rgds
jan i.
Markus Mohrhard Markus Mohrhard

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 7:33 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jan I: Feel free to ping me re: change requests for Keywords. We'll
> want to make sure that any pertinent docs on are the wiki are updated,
> and perhaps something else that I'm not remembering off the top of my
> head...

Thanks a lot,  I want to reduce the skill* keywords in the near future, and will mail you a list.

Most of my work is not changing keywords, but looking at the single issues and making adjustments, and of course sometimes I look at a lot of issues during a couple of hours, which can be quite disturbing...so I hoped for a solution, where I could change these issues, without generating mail without affecting the mail generation from others.

Clophs idea of doing the operations as the user of the [hidden email] address makes a lot of sense and seems easy enough. This seems like an non-invasive way of avoiding the spam to the developer list and does not require any ugly hacks.

jan iversen jan iversen

Re: BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

Sent from my iPad, please excuse any misspellings

Clophs idea of doing the operations as the user of the [hidden email] address makes a lot of sense and seems easy enough. This seems like an non-invasive way of avoiding the spam to the developer list and does not require any ugly hacks.

I agree.  It has 2 side effects though
- it looks like the libreoffice user did the changes (no problem for me)
- I do not know the user/password combination.

For most easyhacks the user was not added to the task, but the mail addr, I do not know if that has an effect.

rgds
jan i.