Back in business, hopefully

mirek2 mirek2

Back in business, hopefully

Hi everyone,
it's been a busy few weeks for me, but it looks like I'll have more time
from now on.
To catch up:
a) Congratulations on the launch. I'm happily running LibO under Ubuntu and
have had no problems except the default toolbar settings (large icons,
several default toolbars), which fortunately doesn't take too long to
change. Congratulations on the website, too. It looks great and is much
easier to navigate than the wiki.
 b) I also want to welcome all the newcomers to the list. It's really
exciting to see the influx of UI ideas and mockups come about. Also, thanks
Paulo for the 256x256 icons.
c) I think that the change of the default icon set to Tango happened a bit
too early, as a number of the icons are actually a lot less usable than
their Galaxy equivalents. For example, look at the "smiley face" icon or the
flowchart icons on the "Drawing" toolbar -- you can hardly see the inner
lines. In general, there is a lot less contrast in the Tango icons than
there was in Galaxy, which means that icons are a bit harder to decipher.
d) Great to see the Design team Kick-off. Is there a certain schedule for
each of the steps?

Hopefully that covers most of the important topics on the list.

In any case, I'm glad to be back and ready to help.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Back in business, hopefully

Hi Mirek,

great to have you back :-) I'm also back (from the FOSDEM) and try to
cover some of the points below.

Am Montag, den 07.02.2011, 17:45 +0100 schrieb Mirek M.:
> c) I think that the change of the default icon set to Tango happened a bit
> too early, as a number of the icons are actually a lot less usable than
> their Galaxy equivalents. For example, look at the "smiley face" icon or the
> flowchart icons on the "Drawing" toolbar -- you can hardly see the inner
> lines. In general, there is a lot less contrast in the Tango icons than
> there was in Galaxy, which means that icons are a bit harder to decipher.

Correct, was rather a DEV decision than a Design decision. The coverage
is sometimes less than optimal, especially with regard to specific
functionality like the macro stuff.

> d) Great to see the Design team Kick-off. Is there a certain schedule for
> each of the steps?

Unfortunately, not. But I wanted to announce the next step
(introduction) tomorrow or the day after. First, I'd like to provide the
presentation material which might be interesting as well.

But you are right, a schedule might help here, although we might miss
some data (which is not bad, but the schedule might make our approach
more transparent). Maybe I'll come up with a proposal ...

> Hopefully that covers most of the important topics on the list.
>
> In any case, I'm glad to be back and ready to help.

:-)

Mirek, one thing that is important to me is, that someone has an
additional look at the website topics at the moment. I was unable to
keep track concerning the menu stuff ... but it seems that some
discussions are a bit too technical, although the main issues arise from
"content / structure" on the website.

Cheers,
Christoph