Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

bunk3m bunk3m

Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Hello all.

I thought I had gotten the data from a flat file (xlsx) into Base.  I
was trying to import and create a new database.

My work requires my data to be in the company OneDrive.  When I try to
open the connected flat file, I get errors that the file location or
parameters are not OK.  So all the work I did is lost.  This is likely a
bug but I don't have time to report this at the moment.

Apparently I incorrectly used: "File:Connect to an existing database" as
that just appears to connect to the flat file but won't actually create
a proper table in Base.  While I can understand the use case for just
accessing a flat table, I'd like to import not just connect.

There has to be an easy way to import the data without having to
manually create a table and then import the csv file.  What am I missing?

I'm just trying to get data into Base easily.

LO v6.4.0.3 on Win10 64B.

Thanks in advance.

bunk3m bunk3m

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

On 18.03.2020 20:57, bunk3m wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I thought I had gotten the data from a flat file (xlsx) into Base.  I
> was trying to import and create a new database.
>
> My work requires my data to be in the company OneDrive.  When I try to
> open the connected flat file, I get errors that the file location or
> parameters are not OK.  So all the work I did is lost.  This is likely a
> bug but I don't have time to report this at the moment.
>
> Apparently I incorrectly used: "File:Connect to an existing database" as
> that just appears to connect to the flat file but won't actually create
> a proper table in Base.  While I can understand the use case for just
> accessing a flat table, I'd like to import not just connect.
>
> There has to be an easy way to import the data without having to
> manually create a table and then import the csv file.  What am I missing?
>
> I'm just trying to get data into Base easily.
>
> LO v6.4.0.3 on Win10 64B.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I should have added that I'm on digest so please reply to the
list but also to me directly.

Thanks.

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Base, as you have found out, is first just a front end to all manner of
data sources.

So, for what you want to do I would approach it thusly.

1st - create an empty Base file for whatever database I want to use. Just
the default embedded is an example.

2nd - create the Base file which connects to the xlsx file as the data
source. I take it you have that already.

Now with both open, with the mouse drag the table (the spread sheet data)
from the 2nd file to the 1st, dropping onto the Tables section.

This triggers the import dialog.

Hope that helps,

Drew

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:58 PM bunk3m <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I thought I had gotten the data from a flat file (xlsx) into Base.  I
> was trying to import and create a new database.
>
> My work requires my data to be in the company OneDrive.  When I try to
> open the connected flat file, I get errors that the file location or
> parameters are not OK.  So all the work I did is lost.  This is likely a
> bug but I don't have time to report this at the moment.
>
> Apparently I incorrectly used: "File:Connect to an existing database" as
> that just appears to connect to the flat file but won't actually create
> a proper table in Base.  While I can understand the use case for just
> accessing a flat table, I'd like to import not just connect.
>
> There has to be an easy way to import the data without having to
> manually create a table and then import the csv file.  What am I missing?
>
> I'm just trying to get data into Base easily.
>
> LO v6.4.0.3 on Win10 64B.
>
> Thanks in advance.

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Fwd: [libreoffice-users] Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Forwarded to OP

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Le 19/03/2020 à 01:57, bunk3m a écrit :

As Drew has said, you can use your existing flat file in several ways :

1) Go via the empty ODB file method to drag the linked XLSX sheet from
your first ODB file to the second, empty ODB file and then follow the
import wizard.

2) Create an empty ODB file and keep it open. Open your XLSX sheet
directly in LO Calc. Select all of the data including column headers,
that you want to import.
Drag and drop this selected data onto your open ODB.
Use the import wizard options to configure the way you want the data to
be imported into a new table that will be created as a result of the
drag and drop maneuver.

Be aware that the import wizard isn't perfect, depending on the version
of LO you are using, it might cause you a bit of grief, so double-check
afterwards that it has done what you wanted (within the confines of what
it can actually do, of course). You might find that some post-import
database alteration statements might be necessary.

Alex

bunk3m bunk3m

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Thank you Alex and Drew.
I'll try your suggestions today.
I appreciate your help!

One more question if I might.
If I understand correctly, HSQLDB is being replace by Firebird.  So I'd
like the engine to be Firebird so I don't end up with an issue in the
future.
How does one know that Firebird is being used?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 05:52, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Le 19/03/2020 à 01:57, bunk3m a écrit :
>
> As Drew has said, you can use your existing flat file in several ways :
>
> 1) Go via the empty ODB file method to drag the linked XLSX sheet from
> your first ODB file to the second, empty ODB file and then follow the
> import wizard.
>
> 2) Create an empty ODB file and keep it open. Open your XLSX sheet
> directly in LO Calc. Select all of the data including column headers,
> that you want to import.
> Drag and drop this selected data onto your open ODB.
> Use the import wizard options to configure the way you want the data to
> be imported into a new table that will be created as a result of the
> drag and drop maneuver.
>
> Be aware that the import wizard isn't perfect, depending on the version
> of LO you are using, it might cause you a bit of grief, so double-check
> afterwards that it has done what you wanted (within the confines of what
> it can actually do, of course). You might find that some post-import
> database alteration statements might be necessary.
>

> Alex

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Le 19/03/2020 à 13:32, bunk3m a écrit :

I would only recommend using embedded Firebird if you're comfortable
with all of its still numerous bugs, and are happy to get your hands
dirty correcting data types, lengths, etc and possibly corrupted data.

Also, it is my understanding that there is currently still a limitation
of 64Kb for the total insert length of any transaction, meaning that you
have to be especially wary of the number, and length of any VARCHAR data
that you have in your spreadsheet.

If you have Unicode characters in any cell, you might also get an import
failure because these are coded over 4 bits per character, which can
rapidly cause the automatically created insert statement to exceed the
64KB limit, and again, fail.

My advice would be to stick to embedded HSQLDB until, or unless, you are
comfortable with such limitations.

Alex

> Thank you Alex and Drew.
> I'll try your suggestions today.
> I appreciate your help!
>
> One more question if I might.
> If I understand correctly, HSQLDB is being replace by Firebird.  So I'd
> like the engine to be Firebird so I don't end up with an issue in the
> future.
> How does one know that Firebird is being used?
>
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 05:52, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Le 19/03/2020 à 01:57, bunk3m a écrit :
>>
>> As Drew has said, you can use your existing flat file in several ways :
>>
>> 1) Go via the empty ODB file method to drag the linked XLSX sheet from
>> your first ODB file to the second, empty ODB file and then follow the
>> import wizard.
>>
>> 2) Create an empty ODB file and keep it open. Open your XLSX sheet
>> directly in LO Calc. Select all of the data including column headers,
>> that you want to import.
>> Drag and drop this selected data onto your open ODB.
>> Use the import wizard options to configure the way you want the data to
>> be imported into a new table that will be created as a result of the
>> drag and drop maneuver.
>>
>> Be aware that the import wizard isn't perfect, depending on the version
>> of LO you are using, it might cause you a bit of grief, so double-check
>> afterwards that it has done what you wanted (within the confines of what
>> it can actually do, of course). You might find that some post-import
>> database alteration statements might be necessary.
>>

>> Alex

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

See below...

On 3/19/20 10:10 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Le 19/03/2020 à 13:32, bunk3m a écrit :
>
> I would only recommend using embedded Firebird if you're comfortable
> with all of its still numerous bugs, and are happy to get your hands
> dirty correcting data types, lengths, etc and possibly corrupted data.

Always look at the resulting table to see if it's fields are defined
correctly and display correctly when looking at table data.

Make sure columns are defined with proper data type such as date or time
in your spreadsheet.

Until the resulting table is as close to your intended field type, keep
making a new table.

Understanding through re-iteration will help you see the pitfalls.

If you can't get the import to the correct data type, import in such a
way as to have complete data from spreadsheet field.

At this point, from within Base, you may be able to make a new table
that has a correct data type and copy from Table-0 to Table-1.

Hope this helps

Paul

> Also, it is my understanding that there is currently still a limitation
> of 64Kb for the total insert length of any transaction, meaning that you
> have to be especially wary of the number, and length of any VARCHAR data
> that you have in your spreadsheet.
>
> If you have Unicode characters in any cell, you might also get an import
> failure because these are coded over 4 bits per character, which can
> rapidly cause the automatically created insert statement to exceed the
> 64KB limit, and again, fail.
>

> My advice would be to stick to embedded HSQLDB until, or unless, you are
> comfortable with such limitations.

bunk3m bunk3m

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Thank you Alex, Paulo and Drew.
I didn't realize there were so many "bugs" still to work out.
I'll stick with HSQLDB for now.
I trust there will eventually be a way to migrate to the new DB in the
future?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 10:10, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Le 19/03/2020 à 13:32, bunk3m a écrit :
>
> I would only recommend using embedded Firebird if you're comfortable
> with all of its still numerous bugs, and are happy to get your hands
> dirty correcting data types, lengths, etc and possibly corrupted data.
>
> Also, it is my understanding that there is currently still a limitation
> of 64Kb for the total insert length of any transaction, meaning that you
> have to be especially wary of the number, and length of any VARCHAR data
> that you have in your spreadsheet.
>
> If you have Unicode characters in any cell, you might also get an import
> failure because these are coded over 4 bits per character, which can
> rapidly cause the automatically created insert statement to exceed the
> 64KB limit, and again, fail.
>

> My advice would be to stick to embedded HSQLDB until, or unless, you are
> comfortable with such limitations.
>

> Alex
>

> > Thank you Alex and Drew.
> > I'll try your suggestions today.
> > I appreciate your help!
> >
> > One more question if I might.
> > If I understand correctly, HSQLDB is being replace by Firebird.  So I'd
> > like the engine to be Firebird so I don't end up with an issue in the
> > future.
> > How does one know that Firebird is being used?
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 05:52, Alexander Thurgood <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Le 19/03/2020 à 01:57, bunk3m a écrit :
> >>
> >> As Drew has said, you can use your existing flat file in several ways :
> >>
> >> 1) Go via the empty ODB file method to drag the linked XLSX sheet from
> >> your first ODB file to the second, empty ODB file and then follow the
> >> import wizard.
> >>
> >> 2) Create an empty ODB file and keep it open. Open your XLSX sheet
> >> directly in LO Calc. Select all of the data including column headers,
> >> that you want to import.
> >> Drag and drop this selected data onto your open ODB.
> >> Use the import wizard options to configure the way you want the data to
> >> be imported into a new table that will be created as a result of the
> >> drag and drop maneuver.
> >>
> >> Be aware that the import wizard isn't perfect, depending on the version
> >> of LO you are using, it might cause you a bit of grief, so double-check
> >> afterwards that it has done what you wanted (within the confines of what
> >> it can actually do, of course). You might find that some post-import
> >> database alteration statements might be necessary.
> >>

> >> Alex

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Fair enough what people have said.
The one thing that hasn't been said is what you need to do with that that
it needs to be in a database.

Depending on what that is I may disagree with my colleagues and say go for
the firebird engine.

So - what are you hoping to get from the data in a database table vs the
spreadsheet?

Thanks

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM bunk3m <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Alex, Paulo and Drew.
> I didn't realize there were so many "bugs" still to work out.
> I'll stick with HSQLDB for now.
> I trust there will eventually be a way to migrate to the new DB in the
> future?
>
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 10:10, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Le 19/03/2020 à 13:32, bunk3m a écrit :
>>
>> I would only recommend using embedded Firebird if you're comfortable
>> with all of its still numerous bugs, and are happy to get your hands
>> dirty correcting data types, lengths, etc and possibly corrupted data.
>>
>> Also, it is my understanding that there is currently still a limitation
>> of 64Kb for the total insert length of any transaction, meaning that you
>> have to be especially wary of the number, and length of any VARCHAR data
>> that you have in your spreadsheet.
>>
>> If you have Unicode characters in any cell, you might also get an import
>> failure because these are coded over 4 bits per character, which can
>> rapidly cause the automatically created insert statement to exceed the
>> 64KB limit, and again, fail.
>>

>> My advice would be to stick to embedded HSQLDB until, or unless, you are
>> comfortable with such limitations.
>>

>> Alex
>>

>> > Thank you Alex and Drew.
>> > I'll try your suggestions today.
>> > I appreciate your help!
>> >
>> > One more question if I might.
>> > If I understand correctly, HSQLDB is being replace by Firebird.  So I'd
>> > like the engine to be Firebird so I don't end up with an issue in the
>> > future.
>> > How does one know that Firebird is being used?
>> >
>> > On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 05:52, Alexander Thurgood <
>> [hidden email]>

>> what

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

I hope that once you have HSQLDB working, you will transfer eventually
migrate to Firebird.

It has been far superior and and stable once I worked out the bugs.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/HowTo/MigrateFromHSQLDB

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/FirebirdMigration

Glad to help.

On 3/19/20 11:31 AM, bunk3m wrote:

> Thank you Alex, Paulo and Drew.
> I didn't realize there were so many "bugs" still to work out.
> I'll stick with HSQLDB for now.
> I trust there will eventually be a way to migrate to the new DB in the
> future?
>
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 10:10, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Le 19/03/2020 à 13:32, bunk3m a écrit :
>>
>> I would only recommend using embedded Firebird if you're comfortable
>> with all of its still numerous bugs, and are happy to get your hands
>> dirty correcting data types, lengths, etc and possibly corrupted data.
>>
>> Also, it is my understanding that there is currently still a limitation
>> of 64Kb for the total insert length of any transaction, meaning that you
>> have to be especially wary of the number, and length of any VARCHAR data
>> that you have in your spreadsheet.
>>
>> If you have Unicode characters in any cell, you might also get an import
>> failure because these are coded over 4 bits per character, which can
>> rapidly cause the automatically created insert statement to exceed the
>> 64KB limit, and again, fail.
>>

>> My advice would be to stick to embedded HSQLDB until, or unless, you are
>> comfortable with such limitations.
>>

>> Alex
>>

>>> Thank you Alex and Drew.
>>> I'll try your suggestions today.
>>> I appreciate your help!
>>>
>>> One more question if I might.
>>> If I understand correctly, HSQLDB is being replace by Firebird.  So I'd
>>> like the engine to be Firebird so I don't end up with an issue in the
>>> future.
>>> How does one know that Firebird is being used?
>>>
>>> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 05:52, Alexander Thurgood <
>> [hidden email]>

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Base created from xlsx file - move to proper DB

Le 19/03/2020 à 18:43, Paul D. Mirowsky a écrit :

I agree with both Paul and Drew, Firebird is an excellent DB engine.

I have had recourse to fairly complex Firebird engine databases in a
client-server environment professionally for many years.

Alex