Base, deactivate the edit mode, going to a form.

PascalH PascalH

Base, deactivate the edit mode, going to a form.

Hello,

Actually I'm working on a database that will be used by other people, and I
do not want to let them fumble with everything.
Is it possible to deactivate, the edit mode, and to direct them to a certain
form where they can entrer the data ?

Thanks

Pascal
Mac Mojave, LO Version: 6.1.5.2, HSQLDB embedded.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Base, deactivate the edit mode, going to a form.

Le 08/10/2019 à 11:35, PascalH a écrit :

Hi Pascal,

> Is it possible to deactivate, the edit mode, and to direct them to a certain
> form where they can entrer the data ?

You can save your forms outside of the ODB as ODT documents, and then
only allow your users to open those rather than the ODB itself, e.g. by
making that external form read-only on a file share.

Be mindful, however, that users will get an annoying "The contents of
this document have changed. Do you want to save it?" message every time
they edit data in the database bound to the form, even if they do not
change the form document itself.

Alex

PascalH PascalH

Re: Base, deactivate the edit mode, going to a form.

Hello,

Thanks, but I'm a long way to understand

/You can save your forms outside of the ODB as ODT documents,/

Just fine, I did it.

/and then only allow your users to open those rather than the ODB
itself, e.g. by making that external form read-only on a file share. /

That I do not succeed. When I open the ODT document, I get an empty
form, that does not work like a database ( on that form I have the data
of three related tables);

Cans you help me a little more ?

Thanks

Pascal

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Base, deactivate the edit mode, going to a form.

Le 08/10/2019 à 19:49, PascalH a écrit :

You have to re-bind the form to the datasource (tables, queries, or
whatever it was that you based form on originally). This is usually done
by opening the form in form design mode, and altering the properties of
the form.

You didn't mention which kind of database engine you are using, so this
possibility might not be available for all types of db engine, I don't
remember now.

Alex

PascalH PascalH

Re: Base, deactivate the edit mode, going to a form.

Here is what I use : Mac Mojave, LO Version: 6.1.5.2, HSQLDB embedded.

Reading your post I fear that I do not have the knowledge to re-bind the
form to the data source (unless you know where I can find a tutorial)

Thanks for your help.

Pascal