Base stand alone

Renato Pontefice Renato Pontefice

Base stand alone

Hi,
I'm very very new to Libreoffice (about 5 minutes :-) )

I have to create a DB. Of course I will use Base, but:
- I'm wondering if it could be published as a stand alone. I mean:
I need to create the DB, but my client won't have Libre office (and it works
with MS Windows). So I'm intrested on a way to publish DB with run time. Is
there)

TIA

Renato

Biz Biz

Re: Base stand alone

On 24/03/2011 11:44, Renato Pontefice wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm very very new to Libreoffice (about 5 minutes :-) )
>
> I have to create a DB. Of course I will use Base, but:
> - I'm wondering if it could be published as a stand alone. I mean:
> I need to create the DB, but my client won't have Libre office (and it works
> with MS Windows). So I'm intrested on a way to publish DB with run time. Is
> there)
>

> TIA
>
> Renato

Try a non-standard installation of LibO  this may give you the option.

Barry

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: Base stand alone

Am 24.03.2011 12:44, Renato Pontefice wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm very very new to Libreoffice (about 5 minutes :-) )
>
> I have to create a DB. Of course I will use Base, but:
> - I'm wondering if it could be published as a stand alone. I mean:
> I need to create the DB, but my client won't have Libre office (and it works
> with MS Windows). So I'm intrested on a way to publish DB with run time. Is
> there)
>

> TIA
>
> Renato

Sorry, Base is not a database program. It is hardly more than a bridge
between database backends (MySQL, Postgre and many others) and office
documents (serial letters, bibliographies, calculation models,...).
The single-document type of zipped HSQLDB can do a small fraction of the
stunts you may know from MS Access but at the high cost of bad
performance, single user security, bad safety (data loss).
Base is extremely useful in what it has been made for. No more, no less.
Greetings,
Andreas

Renato Pontefice Renato Pontefice

Re: Base stand alone

> Try a non-standard installation of LibO  this may give you the option.
>
> Barry
Sorry Barry, what do you mean? I've installed Libreoffice with a (Debian)
aptitude full upgrade command, and it did all by himself.

TIA

Renato

Biz Biz

Re: Base stand alone

On 24/03/2011 12:19, Renato Pontefice wrote:

>> Try a non-standard installation of LibO  this may give you the option.
>>
>> Barry
> Sorry Barry, what do you mean? I've installed Libreoffice with a (Debian)
> aptitude full upgrade command, and it did all by himself.
>
> TIA
>
> Renato

When I've installed it, (Win XP) running the install file,  early in the
sequence is an option "Standard or Non Standard ", with Standard ticked
by default. I think non standard gives the option to select parts only;
vague memories from Open Office. May not apply to Linux

Good Luck

Barry

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Base stand alone

On 03/24/2011 08:30 AM, Biz wrote:

> On 24/03/2011 12:19, Renato Pontefice wrote:
>>

>>> Try a non-standard installation of LibO  this may give you the option.
>>>
>>> Barry
>> Sorry Barry, what do you mean? I've installed Libreoffice with a
>> (Debian)
>> aptitude full upgrade command, and it did all by himself.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Renato
>>
> When I've installed it, (Win XP) running the install file,  early in
> the sequence is an option "Standard or Non Standard ", with Standard
> ticked by default. I think non standard gives the option to select
> parts only; vague memories from Open Office. May not apply to Linux
>
> Good Luck
>
> Barry

It does not apply with Debian/Ubuntu install.  There are a lot of other
language files and such that were built into the Windows version of
LibreOffice that are not a part of the install using the .deb files. The
reasons are not important.

The real issue is the "publish as a standalone" for those that do not
use LibreOffice.  The question I would ask then is: can you create a DB
in LibreOffice Base that would work with MS Access?  Since "standalone"
databases is something that most people do not write anymore.  I use to
have to write main frame database applications, but that was a different
environment now.  Most people "require" their users to use MS for PC
based databases.  For network/browser based ones, MySQL seems to be used
with the various script languages supported within the server/browser
"system". For a "standalone" option, I have not heard of anyoe doing
that for a long time.

So I would see if I could write a DB using LibreOffice that would work
with MS.  That may be hard, since MS does not like others using their
working files.  They "required" the user to own their Office package.
Now that OOo/LibreOffice can read/write much of the MS stuff, it may
come down to the controls, forms, and reports being able to be used by MS.

bunk3m bunk3m

Re: Base stand alone

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:10:39 +0100, Andreas Sägervilleroy@t-online.deAm 24.03.2011 12:44, Renato Pontefice wrote:Hi,I'm very very new to Libreoffice (about 5 minutes:-))I have to create a DB. Of course I will use Base, but:- I'm wondering if it could be published as a stand alone. I
          mean:I need to create the DB, but my client won't have Libre office
          (and it workswith MS Windows). So I'm intrested on a way to publish DB with
          run time. Isthere)TIARenatoSorry, Base is not a database program. It is hardly more than a
        bridge between database backends (MySQL, Postgre and many
        others) and office documents (serial letters, bibliographies,
        calculation models,...).The single-document type of zipped HSQLDB can do a small
        fraction of the stunts you may know from MS Access but at the
        high cost of bad performance, single user security, bad safety
        (data loss).Base is extremely useful in what it has been made for. No more,
        no less.Greetings,Andreas
You could try using HSQLDB directly for your client.  Download athttp://hsqldb.org/ The version in OpenOffice (and I assume also LibreOffice??) is
    v1.8. B
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Base stand alone

Le 24/03/11 12:44, Renato Pontefice a écrit :

Hi Renato

> I'm very very new to Libreoffice (about 5 minutes :-) )
>
> I have to create a DB. Of course I will use Base, but:
> - I'm wondering if it could be published as a stand alone. I mean:
> I need to create the DB, but my client won't have Libre office (and it works
> with MS Windows). So I'm intrested on a way to publish DB with run time. Is
> there)

If you mean standalone as in executable, then no, LibreOffice will not
do that for you.

If you mean a single file that you can give to someone else that they
can then use as their database, then yes, it is possible, but it will
require that person to install LibreOffice or OpenOffice.org on their
computer, and preferably exactly the same version of LibreOffice that
you used to create the database file in the first place.

When you create a LibreOffice database file, everything that relates to
the database is stored in a file with an ".odb" extension. This includes
the actual database engine, or a reference to the server if connecting
to a server based db engine, the tables and their definitions, the
queries, the forms and the reports, and any macros associated with the
forms. As you can see from this description, the ODB file is in fact a
container (zipped) for all of the other elements
that constitute the database. The db engine supplied with LibreOffice is
hsqldb, a java based db, which on its own is actually very capable. It
is just unfortunate that its integration into LibreOffice has not led to
spectacular performance when the amount of data starts to build up, or
say, when the Java version installed on the operating system changes
because of a security upgrade...this is not really the fault of hsqldb
though...and data loss can result if the LibreOffice application crashes
when working on your db leading to its corruption.

You should also bear in mind, that the ODB database solution is not
really as "portable" as it has been made out to be in the past. For
example, there have been problems creating "portable" dbs containing
images, or other media and then transferring them to other computers.

If you can afford to setup hsqldb directly (i.e. as a server instance,
and let that access your tables), then you would be better off
performance wise, or alternatively, set up a database server such as
mysql, postgresql, firebird, etc and use that to store your data, only
using the ODB file as front end for presenting forms, queries, reports, etc.

Alex

renareto renareto

[solved] Re: Base stand alone

Thank to all. Now, I've understund,

Renato
renareto renareto

Re: Base stand alone

Thank you to all.
Now, I've untersund.

TIA

Renato
renareto renareto

Re: Base stand alone

Do you mean that with HSQLDB I can design a DB cross plattform (WIN/ linux)?

In effect. my need is that:

- design an first population on a Linux machin
- consult on a Win machine.

Do it could made a good work for me?

TIA

Renato

Am 24.03.2011 14:04, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:

> The real issue is the "publish as a standalone" for those that do not
> use LibreOffice. The question I would ask then is: can you create a DB
> in LibreOffice Base that would work with MS Access? Since "standalone"
> databases is something that most people do not write anymore. I use to
> have to write main frame database applications, but that was a different
> environment now. Most people "require" their users to use MS for PC
> based databases. For network/browser based ones, MySQL seems to be used
> with the various script languages supported within the server/browser
> "system". For a "standalone" option, I have not heard of anyoe doing
> that for a long time.

Hi,
It is still a frequently asked question on the web-forums oooforum.org
and user.services.openoffice.org

Access can do it.
Base looks like the equivalent to Access just like Writer to WinWord.
Base must be capable doing it.

The architecture is a 3rd-party Java backend (HSQLDB), a 3rd-party
report engine (Pentaho in the report builder extension) and a platform
independent office suite with regular office documents as carriers of
forms and reports. The portable document is a zip archive bundling
configuration, binary backend and text documents (forms&reports).
This does not compare to a monolithic executable binary file bound to
one particular platform of the very same vendor.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Base stand alone

Le 24/03/11 17:57, renareto a écrit :

Hi Renato,

> Do you mean that with HSQLDB I can design a DB cross plattform (WIN/ linux)?
>
> In effect. my need is that:
>
> - design an first population on a Linux machin
> - consult on a Win machine.
>
> Do it could made a good work for me?

Yes, you could even do this with a LibreOffice Base file as I mentioned
before, but you just have to beware of the limitations. The best place
to go at the moment for particular information would be the
openoffice.org forums. They have a special Base section, with
experienced users who have usually come across any problems you might
encounter.

Look here :

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewforum.phtml?f=10

and here :

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=ce7ccf0c96f8a40bd50d5985edd4392b

The links above take you to the English language forums, but there may
even be a forum on the same site in your preferred language.

Alex