Base...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
zed zed
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Base...

Using LibreOffice v6.0.7.3 on Linux Mint v19.3 Mate

A few months ago, members kindly helped me with the format of cells in a
spreadsheet.  I know wsnt to convert thst informstion to Base.

My knowledge of databases is very limited.  The only practical experience I
had was way back in the 1980s when I used Paradox.  Haven't constructed a
database since and have forgotten whatever limited skill I had.

So your MISSION - should you choose to accept it is to advise me whether the
suggestions I make below are reasonable or ridiculous. I won't be offended
if your opinion is to the latter because I need all the help I can get.

I follow the career of several  performers - singers, dancers and
instrumentalists - through their Youtube videos and also record the number
of Reactions to those performances.

At present I have a spreadsheet of information applicable to the Reactors.  
There is a spreadsheet for each performer.
It has 9 columns

A. ID
B. Name  <text>
C. Gender <text>
D. Number of reactions done <number>
E. First reaction <date>
F. Last reaction <date> this is the most recent reaction
G. Days -  Formula =NOW() <cell ref>
H. Weeks - = <cell ref/7>
I. Months = <cell ref/4)

This has worked very well but now I want to be able to gather more
information using just Columns A, B, C. So, what I can gather from reading
the Getting started instructions for Base, I need more than one Table.  Are
those listed below suitable.

Table 1 - Reactors
ID
Name
Gender

Table 2-Performers
ID
First name
Last name

Table 3 - Performance
ID
Title (this eill be the title of a song, or a dance routine, or a piano
concerto, etc.
Date upload
Website

Table 4 - Location
ID
Studio
Concert - open air
Concert - Hall

Now what do I want to achieve. Be able to generate various reports using the
Tables listed above

For example I create a Query in the form Print All reactions by <name of
reactor>  of songs sung by Angelina Jordan, showing title, date of reaction,
date uploaded, location of performance.

Print all songs sung by Patricia Janeckova showing title of son, date of
upload, website, location.

Print all concert - open air by Laura Bretan, showing date, title of
performance, website

Have I designed the Tables to be too complicated, too simplistic?. Could any
of the tables be combined?

Last  questions.

Is it possible in bsse to use the type of calculations used in Columns G, H,
I in the spreadsheet.

To save typing the salmost 200 names and details of Reactors, what is the
essiest wsy to export them to BGSSE.

David

--
Zed
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized.: Sun Tzu

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Base...

Hi David,

Only one some hints for the tables and the relations between the tables:

>
> A. ID
> B. Name  <text>
> C. Gender <text>
> D. Number of reactions done <number>
> E. First reaction <date>
> F. Last reaction <date> this is the most recent reaction
> G. Days -  Formula =NOW() <cell ref>
> H. Weeks - = <cell ref/7>
> I. Months = <cell ref/4)
>
> This has worked very well but now I want to be able to gather more
> information using just Columns A, B, C. So, what I can gather from reading
> the Getting started instructions for Base, I need more than one Table.  Are
> those listed below suitable.
>
> Table 1 - Reactors
> ID
> Name
> Gender
>
> Table 2-Performers
> ID
> First name
> Last name

Do you need Table 1 and Table 2? Could also be one table all together
wit a field, which shows 'R' for Reactors and 'P' for Performers
>
> Table 3 - Performance
> ID
> Title (this eill be the title of a song, or a dance routine, or a piano
> concerto, etc.
> Date upload
> Website

There must be a foreignkey from the Performers to the Performance. The
"ID" form Performers has to appear at "Performance" as "Performers-ID",
if there is only one Performer for a Performance (1:m relation). Could
also be you need a table, which contains the Performers-ID and the
Performance_ID together: More than one Performer for a Performance, also
moere than one Performance for one Performer possible (n:m relation)
>
> Table 4 - Location
> ID
> Studio
> Concert - open air
> Concert - Hall

How should this table be linked to the other tables?

Calculations and reports won't be a problem. But the most important
problem is to create the right tables. Content in one table shouldn't be
reported too much. But the best start will be one table with all the
content to see which content will be repeated in the table. Then you
could split the repeated content from the table and set a foreignkey to
another table with this content instead.

Regards

Robert
--
Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
mikey mikey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Base...

What you list for columns D, E, F, G,H,I are not tables. They are reports
for the table "Reaction".

Your primary data point is reaction.  It has the parameters of actor and
observer, date/time, location, and whatever ratings or review information.

Then you build a report based on the "observer" table that provides the
D,E,F data. I'm not clear if the time (Days, Weeks, Months) is part of DEF
list, or another list. Probably its more calculations on the Same
information in the report.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 12:52 PM Robert Großkopf <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Only one some hints for the tables and the relations between the tables:
> >
> > A. ID
> > B. Name  <text>
> > C. Gender <text>
> > D. Number of reactions done <number>
> > E. First reaction <date>
> > F. Last reaction <date> this is the most recent reaction
> > G. Days -  Formula =NOW() <cell ref>
> > H. Weeks - = <cell ref/7>
> > I. Months = <cell ref/4)
> >
> > This has worked very well but now I want to be able to gather more
> > information using just Columns A, B, C. So, what I can gather from
> reading
> > the Getting started instructions for Base, I need more than one Table.
> Are
> > those listed below suitable.
> >
> > Table 1 - Reactors
> > ID
> > Name
> > Gender
> >
> > Table 2-Performers
> > ID
> > First name
> > Last name
>
> Do you need Table 1 and Table 2? Could also be one table all together
> wit a field, which shows 'R' for Reactors and 'P' for Performers
> >
> > Table 3 - Performance
> > ID
> > Title (this eill be the title of a song, or a dance routine, or a piano
> > concerto, etc.
> > Date upload
> > Website
>
> There must be a foreignkey from the Performers to the Performance. The
> "ID" form Performers has to appear at "Performance" as "Performers-ID",
> if there is only one Performer for a Performance (1:m relation). Could
> also be you need a table, which contains the Performers-ID and the
> Performance_ID together: More than one Performer for a Performance, also
> moere than one Performance for one Performer possible (n:m relation)
> >
> > Table 4 - Location
> > ID
> > Studio
> > Concert - open air
> > Concert - Hall
>
> How should this table be linked to the other tables?
>
> Calculations and reports won't be a problem. But the most important
> problem is to create the right tables. Content in one table shouldn't be
> reported too much. But the best start will be one table with all the
> content to see which content will be repeated in the table. Then you
> could split the repeated content from the table and set a foreignkey to
> another table with this content instead.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems?
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy