Basic use of the spreadsheet tools

RobertHeathfield RobertHeathfield

Basic use of the spreadsheet tools

I am fairly new to libre office but it seems very strange to me that there seems to be little or no help available for simple instructions like how to use the filters on a spreadsheet. For example when you select the autofilter for a column why does the filter not filter all instances of a value and only filter the first one it finds. I guess there must be a setting somewhere but that doesn't sound very "auto" to me. I obviously need help.
Luuk Luuk

Re: Basic use of the spreadsheet tools

On 26-12-2011 07:08, RobertHeathfield wrote:
> I am fairly new to libre office but it seems very strange to me that there
> seems to be little or no help available for simple instructions like how to
> use the filters on a spreadsheet. For example when you select the autofilter
> for a column why does the filter not filter all instances of a value and
> only filter the first one it finds. I guess there must be a setting
> somewhere but that doesn't sound very "auto" to me. I obviously need help.

Before creating the 'auto' filter, select all columns that are involved,
or (better) select all the cells involved.

After that, your problem should be solved, if not, please put your
example sheet somewhere ;)

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Tom Tom

Re: Basic use of the spreadsheet tools

Hi :)
The best documentation is on this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
and is then copied to this page
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

The help files are not so great because 2 different teams each thought the other was responsible for updating them and both teams were short of people, still are.
"Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka"

Dne 26.12.2011 11:24, Luuk napsal(a):

> On 26-12-2011 07:08, RobertHeathfield wrote:
>> I am fairly new to libre office but it seems very strange to me that there
>> seems to be little or no help available for simple instructions like how to
>> use the filters on a spreadsheet. For example when you select the autofilter
>> for a column why does the filter not filter all instances of a value and
>> only filter the first one it finds. I guess there must be a setting
>> somewhere but that doesn't sound very "auto" to me. I obviously need help.
>>

> Before creating the 'auto' filter, select all columns that are involved,
> or (better) select all the cells involved.
>
> After that, your problem should be solved, if not, please put your
> example sheet somewhere ;)

The best result you get if all columns have some heading such as
"name", "city", ... etc.
Then place the cursor to the leftmost heading and start auto filtering.
Otherwice the values of the row where the cursor is placed are used as
"column names"

Jiri

--
Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA

http://www.revida.sk
mailto:[hidden email]

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Am 26.12.2011 11:24, schrieb Luuk:

> Before creating the 'auto' filter, select all columns that are involved,
> or (better) select all the cells involved.

I would rather recommend to select one single cell inside the list
of data. Calc will automatically detect the data range.

Stefan

Luuk Luuk

On 26-12-2011 14:37, Stefan Weigel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 26.12.2011 11:24, schrieb Luuk:
>
>> Before creating the 'auto' filter, select all columns that are involved,
>> or (better) select all the cells involved.
>
> I would rather recommend to select one single cell inside the list
> of data. Calc will automatically detect the data range.
>
> Stefan

But, be aware, that if you add a new line to your data (at the end),
that this line will not be in the range of filtered items.

Thats why i mostly select all columns. this way new data is
'automagically' included in the filter.

--
Luuk

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
NoOp NoOp

On 12/25/2011 10:08 PM, RobertHeathfield wrote:
> I am fairly new to libre office but it seems very strange to me that there
> seems to be little or no help available for simple instructions like how to
> use the filters on a spreadsheet. For example when you select the autofilter
> for a column why does the filter not filter all instances of a value and
> only filter the first one it finds. I guess there must be a setting
> somewhere but that doesn't sound very "auto" to me. I obviously need help.

F1 or Help|LibreOffice Help|'filter' in the search box|filtering;cell
ranges/database ranges:

Filtering Cell Ranges
You can use several filters to filter cell ranges in spreadsheets. A
standard filter uses the options that you specify to filter the data. An
AutoFilter filters data according to a specific value or string. An
advanced filter uses filter criteria from specified cells.
To Apply a Standard Filter to a Cell Range
1. Click in a cell range.
2. Choose Data - Filter - Standard Filter.
3. In the Standard Filter dialog, specify the filter options that you want.
4. Click OK.
The records that match the filter options that you specified are shown.
To Apply an AutoFilter to a Cell Range
1. Click in a cell range or a database range.

If you want to apply multiple AutoFilters to the same sheet, you must
first define database ranges, then apply the AutoFilters to the database
ranges.

2. Choose Data - Filter - AutoFilter.
An arrow button is added to the head of each column in the database range.
3. Click the arrow button in the column that contains the value or
string that you want to set as the filter criteria.
4. Select the value or string that you want to use as the filter criteria.
The records that match the filter criteria that you selected are shown.
To Remove a Filter From a Cell Range
1. Click in a filtered cell range.
2. Choose Data - Filter - Remove Filter.

You can also search for 'AutoFilter' and find instructions there
(applying/subtotals).

Also please see:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/
click on Documentation:
Getting Started with LibreOffice
  Chapter 5 - Getting Started with Calc (ODT) (PDF)
   Page 34: Filtering which cells are visible
LibreOffice Calc Guide
  Chapter 13 - Calc as a Simple Database
   Page 313-320: Filters

Paul Rosenstock Paul Rosenstock

Re: Basic use of the spreadsheet tools

Remove me from the distribution list!

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/25/2011 10:08 PM, RobertHeathfield wrote:
> > I am fairly new to libre office but it seems very strange to me that
> there
> > seems to be little or no help available for simple instructions like how
> > use the filters on a spreadsheet. For example when you select the
> autofilter
> > for a column why does the filter not filter all instances of a value and
> > only filter the first one it finds. I guess there must be a setting
> > somewhere but that doesn't sound very "auto" to me. I obviously need
> help.
>
> F1 or Help|LibreOffice Help|'filter' in the search box|filtering;cell
> ranges/database ranges:
>
> Filtering Cell Ranges
> You can use several filters to filter cell ranges in spreadsheets. A
> standard filter uses the options that you specify to filter the data. An
> AutoFilter filters data according to a specific value or string. An
> advanced filter uses filter criteria from specified cells.
> To Apply a Standard Filter to a Cell Range
> 1. Click in a cell range.
> 2. Choose Data - Filter - Standard Filter.
> 3. In the Standard Filter dialog, specify the filter options that you want.
> 4. Click OK.
> The records that match the filter options that you specified are shown.
> To Apply an AutoFilter to a Cell Range
> 1. Click in a cell range or a database range.
>
> If you want to apply multiple AutoFilters to the same sheet, you must
> first define database ranges, then apply the AutoFilters to the database
> ranges.
>
> 2. Choose Data - Filter - AutoFilter.
> An arrow button is added to the head of each column in the database range.
> 3. Click the arrow button in the column that contains the value or
> string that you want to set as the filter criteria.
> 4. Select the value or string that you want to use as the filter criteria.
> The records that match the filter criteria that you selected are shown.
> To Remove a Filter From a Cell Range
> 1. Click in a filtered cell range.
> 2. Choose Data - Filter - Remove Filter.
>
> You can also search for 'AutoFilter' and find instructions there
> (applying/subtotals).
>
> Also please see:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/
> click on Documentation:
> Getting Started with LibreOffice
>  Chapter 5 - Getting Started with Calc (ODT) (PDF)
>   Page 34: Filtering which cells are visible
> LibreOffice Calc Guide
>  Chapter 13 - Calc as a Simple Database
>   Page 313-320: Filters

Paul D. Rosenstock

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

On 26/12/2011 at 21:07, Paul Rosenstock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Remove me from the distribution list!

Hi Paul,
please read
<http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/>

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: Basic use of the spreadsheet tools

Stefan Weigel wrote
Hi,

Am 26.12.2011 11:24, schrieb Luuk:

> Before creating the 'auto' filter, select all columns that are involved,
> or (better) select all the cells involved.

I would rather recommend to select one single cell inside the list
of data. Calc will automatically detect the data range.

Stefan
Of course we have no information about the OS, the office version nor file type. But my chrystal ball tells me that it is some Excel file with a database range imported as "Excel_FilterData_0_8_15" or something. That imported filter range does not include the current region. In this case the automatic detection needs to fail because the database range is explicitly restricted.

@Robert
menu:Data>Define... might show some filterable lists with "Excel" in the name. Select such an entry and adjust the range address to the actual cell range that describes the full list. Hit buttons [Modify] and [OK] when you are done. Now all the solutions that have been given to you should work actually.
NoOp NoOp

[Removal Hijack] Re: Basic use of the spreadsheet tools

On 12/26/2011 12:07 PM, Paul Rosenstock wrote:
> Remove me from the distribution list!

Remove yourself:
Problems?
deleted

And quit hijacking other peoples threads. Start your own.