Blurry icons on HiDPI display (GNU/Linux)

Paul Menzel Paul Menzel

Blurry icons on HiDPI display (GNU/Linux)

Dear LibreOffice folks,

Running LibreOffice 5.4.4.1 with GTK+ 3.22.26 on the HiDPI/4K monitor
Dell U2718Q the icons in the toolbar are blurry as can be seen on the
attached image.

```
$ libreoffice --version
LibreOffice 5.4.4.1 40m0(Build:1)

$ env | grep GDK
GDK_SCALE=2
GDK_DPI_SCALE=-1
```

Is that expected?

Kind regards,

Paul

=?UTF-8?Q?20171215=e2=80=93libreoffice-5.4.4.1=e2=80=93blurry=5ficon?= =?UTF-8?Q?s.png?= (146K) Download Attachment
Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara

Re: Blurry icons on HiDPI display (GNU/Linux)

On Fri, 2017-12-15 at 17:44 +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear LibreOffice folks,
>

> Running LibreOffice 5.4.4.1 with GTK+ 3.22.26 on the HiDPI/4K
> monitor Dell U2718Q the icons in the toolbar are blurry as can be
> seen on the attached image.
>
> Is that expected?

Probably, because these icons are pngs without higher res versions that
could be used under hidpi. Unless we move over to using SVG icons I
guess that's as good as it gets for now. We have svg versions of
breeze, elementary and sifr sets I believe, and I think I see the svg
tango source files for the tango pngs in icon-themes source dir. So we
may have some capacity to do something nicer eventually via svg.
Paul Menzel Paul Menzel

Re: Blurry icons on HiDPI display (GNU/Linux)

Dear Caolán,

On 12/17/17 15:33, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-12-15 at 17:44 +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:

>> Running LibreOffice 5.4.4.1 with GTK+ 3.22.26 on the HiDPI/4K
>> monitor Dell U2718Q the icons in the toolbar are blurry as can be
>> seen on the attached image.
>>
>> Is that expected?
>
> Probably, because these icons are pngs without higher res versions that
> could be used under hidpi. Unless we move over to using SVG icons I
> guess that's as good as it gets for now. We have svg versions of
> breeze, elementary and sifr sets I believe, and I think I see the svg
> tango source files for the tango pngs in icon-themes source dir. So we
> may have some capacity to do something nicer eventually via svg.
Is the icon handling documented somewhere?

Let’s take the icon *lc_autosum* as an example.

```
$ find . -name '*lc_autosum*'
./icon-themes/breeze/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/crystal/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/elementary/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/galaxy/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/hicontrast/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/oxygen/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/sifr/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/tango/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/tango/cmd/lc_autosum.svg
./icon-themes/breeze_dark/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/breeze_svg/cmd/lc_autosum.svg
./icon-themes/sifr_dark/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/elementary_svg/cmd/lc_autosum.svg
$ identify ./icon-themes/tango/cmd/lc_autosum.png
./icon-themes/tango/cmd/lc_autosum.png PNG 24x24 24x24+0+0 8-bit sRGB
1.08KB 0.000u 0:00.000
```

But I do not find any file with *autosum* in its name on the file system.

Kind regards,

Paul

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

On Thu, 2017-12-21 at 14:05 +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Is the icon handling documented somewhere?

There is a certain degree of documentation in icon-themes/README

> Let’s take the icon *lc_autosum* as an example.
> But I do not find any file with *autosum* in its name on the file
> system.

This case is covered in the README. The lc is large size (while sc is
small size) so the basename is autosum and refers to the .uno:AutoSum
feature so this is the icon for .uno:AutoSum "Sum" in
officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/GenericCommands.xcu

Many of the icons are like that, lots more are explicitly mentioned
either
a) in the source, like sw/res/envhl_l.png where there is
#define BMP_HOR_LEFT_LOWER "sw/res/envhl_l.png"
in sw/inc/bitmaps.hlst and used in sw/source/ui/envelp/envprt.cxx as
m_pAlignBox->SetItemImage(..., Image(BitmapEx(BMP_HOR_LEFT_LOWER)));
b) in .ui files, like sw/res/one_right.png which is referenced by
sw/uiconfig/swriter/ui/insertdbcolumnsdialog.ui

Lots of the icons have migrated over time through other formats and
naming schemes so there are quite a lot of inscrutable file names like
"ou011.png" unfortunately.