Book-writing with Writer

Next » 12345 « Prev
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Book-writing with Writer

That works just fine. For my tastes, however, it's not quite as smooth a
process or polished a result as with LyX/LaTeX. But, as I've said before,
LyX/LaTeX have their own sets of problems.

Perhaps the best solution is the one a person will actually use to get the
job done. One Scrivener reviewer commented that evaluating writing software
is more fun than writing. I have found that true as I often spend more time
trying to find the perfect writing tool than I do actually writing.

Many years ago, a person was talking to Mike Royko, a Chicago journalist
about writing a book. He asked Mike what the best software was for doing the
task. Mike replied something to the effect of, "Software? Look, son, get
yourself a legal pad and a pen and just start writing."

Virgil

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
+1
Well said! :)  The tools sometimes get in the way of doing the job.  Yes, keep learning new tricks and better ways when idling along but just use whatever you are comfortable with when you need to get a job done.

>________________________________

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Thanks for the tips!

it's good to hear from someone that is getting published and able to show it
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

I fully agree. I use outline level styles all the time, and they make a
world of difference, especially when used in headings. They make jumping
from one heading to the next actually work on my Kindle.

Virgil

---

Re: Book-writing with Writer

> I fully agree. I use outline level styles all the time, and they make a
> world of difference, especially when used in headings. They make jumping
> from one heading to the next actually work on my Kindle.
>
> Virgil

Along those same lines -- when you convert in Calibre -- the ONLY thing
that matters (as far as chapters are concerned) is the style you use for
said chapter headings. I always use H3 and then make sure to catch this in
the Structure Detection section of the conversion window. With this you
can define some nice things (such as page breaks).

> ---

jack wallen, jr <--- lover of entropy

Writer of the I Zombie, Fringe Killer, Shero, and Screampark series as
well as the upcoming The Book of Jacob Series.
Learn more @ www.monkeypantz.net

Wolfgang Keller Wolfgang Keller

Re: Book-writing with Writer

> I don't believe I've heard of "structure markup style concept" and
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I used WordPerfect for years
> and could never quite get the hang of WP's styles, all the while I
> took to Word's and OO's (now LO's) styles quite easily.

To put it simply:

Wordperfect (or e.g. Framemaker) styles allow to do "structure markup".

Word, OO and LO "styles" don't.

In essence, this boils down to the fact that all sane document
processing applications (whether Wordperfect, Framemaker or dozens
of others, LaTeX or anything that outputs structured XML) use nestable
open- and close-"tags", while Word and LO/OO don't.

The style concept of Wordperfect was so well designed that the original
developers (Wordperfect) even implemented an XML authoring application
(for structured XML, using real schemas and stylesheets, not spaghetti
garbage like the "Opendocument XML") that used the Wordperfect UI,
including the style editor. This application is even shipped with every
copy of Corel Office, it's just mentioned or documented nowhere.

The style concept of both Word and LO/OO however is so severely screwed
up that I've never ever seen a document that would have allowed to
re-use content in any other way (within the same application!) than by
copying and pasting it as unformatted text and then re-applying all
the formatting by hand.

Unfortunately these days, people only "learn" with MS garbage and thus
they learn document processing exactly the wrong way.

And of course, the "reveal codes" view of Wordperfect at least allowed
to debug documents, while there is absolutely no way to do this with
Word or LO/OO documents. And I wish the source view in LyX was editable.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Keller schrieb:

>> I don't believe I've heard of "structure markup style concept" and
>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I used WordPerfect for years
>> and could never quite get the hang of WP's styles, all the while I
>> took to Word's and OO's (now LO's) styles quite easily.
>
> To put it simply:
>
> Wordperfect (or e.g. Framemaker) styles allow to do "structure markup".
>
> Word, OO and LO "styles" don't.

All three allow structure markup. In Word it is a little bit hidden in
the UI, but in AOO and LO it is easily done.

> In essence, this boils down to the fact that all sane document
> processing applications (whether Wordperfect, Framemaker or dozens
> of others, LaTeX or anything that outputs structured XML) use nestable
> open- and close-"tags", while Word and LO/OO don't.

That is wrong. AOO and LO use ODF which is XML. What do you want to do,
which is not possible?

> The style concept of Wordperfect was so well designed that the original
> developers (Wordperfect) even implemented an XML authoring application
> (for structured XML, using real schemas and stylesheets, not spaghetti
> garbage like the "Opendocument XML") that used the Wordperfect UI,
> including the style editor. This application is even shipped with every
> copy of Corel Office, it's just mentioned or documented nowhere.

You will need to explain "spaghetti garbage".
You can read the schema for ODF in
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html for
example.

> The style concept of both Word and LO/OO however is so severely screwed
> up that I've never ever seen a document that would have allowed to
> re-use content in any other way (within the same application!) than by
> copying and pasting it as unformatted text and then re-applying all
> the formatting by hand.

So you would need to blame the people who wrote the documents. If you
use LO correctly, then copy and paste works well. That does not mean,
that all cases are free from errors. But those are bugs and no errors in
the concept.

> Unfortunately these days, people only "learn" with MS garbage and thus
> they learn document processing exactly the wrong way.

You underestimate the teachers.

> And of course, the "reveal codes" view of Wordperfect at least allowed
> to debug documents, while there is absolutely no way to do this with
> Word or LO/OO documents.

Mmh, I had no problem to detect the errors in the documents my pupils
had produced.

  And I wish the source view in LyX was editable.

Then you will like to use fodt in LibreOffice.

Kind regards
Regina

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: Book-writing with Writer

On 12/07/2013 at 16:09, Wolfgang Keller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wordperfect (or e.g. Framemaker) styles allow to do "structure markup".
>
> Word, OO and LO "styles" don't.
>
> In essence, this boils down to the fact that all sane document
> processing applications (whether Wordperfect, Framemaker or dozens
> of others, LaTeX or anything that outputs structured XML) use nestable
> open- and close-"tags", while Word and LO/OO don't.

Just because LO/OOo/MSO does not show tags, does not mean that they do not
allow "structural markup".

In LaTeX, you are free to make the same spaghetti garbage as in any other text
processing software. No one prevents you from creating you heading like this:

#v+
\vspace{2 cc}
{\LARGE \textbf{1.\hspace{1.5 cc}This is my heading}}
\vspace{1 cc}
#v-

It's equivalent to putting empty paragraphs before and after heading and
manually formatting it (making text larger and bolder).

LaTeX \section{This is my heading} is equivalent to LO's applying one of
Heading X styles.

> The style concept of both Word and LO/OO however is so severely screwed
> up that I've never ever seen a document that would have allowed to
> re-use content in any other way (within the same application!) than by
> copying and pasting it as unformatted text and then re-applying all
> the formatting by hand.

This only means that people who you've had working with can not use their
tools properly. If they had used styles, you could reuse content of one
document within another with ease.

OK, I can agree that this is somewhat tools fault (they could make more
advanced features more discoverable and easier to understand); but I can not
agree that only tools are to blame.

> And of course, the "reveal codes" view of Wordperfect at least allowed
> to debug documents, while there is absolutely no way to do this with
> Word or LO/OO documents

MS Word's Style Inspector is pretty useful, but rather hidden feature designed
for exactly this task.
Unfortunately, LO does not have any equivalent.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Wolfgang,

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to understand what you're saying. You
wrote:

>In essence, this boils down to the fact that all sane document
>processing applications (whether Wordperfect, Framemaker or dozens
>of others, LaTeX or anything that outputs structured XML) use nestable
>open- and close-"tags", while Word and LO/OO don't.

I've created my own paragraph styles, and I have one called "BodySingle."
It's just a single-spaced body of text with no paragraph indents. When I
create a document in WordPerfect (an old Version 7) and look at a document
in reveal codes, I get a code that says, for example, "Para Style:
BodySingle" before each paragraph that has BodySingle applied to it and the
same code at the end of each paragraph with that style.

When I look at a similar document in LO's "content.xml" file, I see "<text:p
text:style-name="BodySingle">" before each BodySingle paragraph and a
</text:p> at the end of each paragraph.

The only real difference I see is that LO ends each paragraph with a more
generic tag </text:p:> with no specific reference to the applied style
whereas WordPerfect ends each paragraph with a specific reference to the
applied style.

Is that the distinction you're making between the two methods, and if so,
how does that matter?

Virgil

You also wrote:

>The style concept of both Word and LO/OO however is so severely screwed
>up that I've never ever seen a document that would have allowed to
>re-use content in any other way (within the same application!) than by
>copying and pasting it as unformatted text and then re-applying all
>the formatting by hand.

If I understand you correctly (and I'm not at all certain I do), I think
I've noticed similar behavior. I've noticed that if I copy and paste text in
Word or LO/OO *and* include the closing paragraph marking (¶) then the
paragraph formatting will also be pasted, but if I copy text without
including the closing paragraph marking, then the text will be pasted using
the same paragraph style as the destination paragraph. However, character
formatting (bold, italic) is retained in the pasted text. I've never had a
problem, as long as I keep the paragraph markings revealed and either select
or not select them based on my specific needs at the time.

Virgil

nabbler nabbler

Re: Book-writing with Writer

On 12/07/2013, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That works just fine. For my tastes, however, it's not quite as smooth a
> process or polished a result as with LyX/LaTeX.

Agree, for PDF, but it seems that the future of viewing content is in
digital format via mobile devices. So for archiving to paper, LaTeX
wins and maybe epub for electronic archives.

By coincidence there has been a guide published to write epub
documents using LO:
http://opensource.com/life/13/8/how-create-ebook-open-source-way

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
Has anyone successfully tried this to get ePub versions of something fairly hefty such as our Published Guides?  I think it would be great if we could get all those guides done as ePub wouldn't it?  Anyone able to give it a go?

>________________________________

Tom,

Do you have a link to one of the guides? I may have a go at trying different
ways of converting one to EPUB just to see how it works. Might be kind of
fun.

Virgil

Has anyone successfully tried this to get ePub versions of something fairly
hefty such as our Published Guides?  I think it would be great if we could
get all those guides done as ePub wouldn't it?  Anyone able to give it a go?

>________________________________

deleted

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
Sorry, got distracted.  Here's a link
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

>________________________________

I just did a couple experiments with LO and Writer2epub. I tried converting
the entire 390 page Getting Started book to EPUB. It choked. I then tried
doing the same with just the 18 page introduction. Same result. No EPUB
output file was generated.

I noticed that Writer2epub doesn't like custom styles. It is apparently
designed for fairly simple documents, using LO's built-in styles. It can't
handle the elaborate formatting of the LO User Guides.

I then tried it using a theology paper I wrote a few years ago. I have
several outline numbered styles, which again, Writer2epub doesn't translate
well.

I think Writer2epub will work best with a document that is designed from the
beginning for EPUB, but if you want to translate an existing document, you
may need to do considerable work to make it ready for the extension.

These are just my observations after a half-hour experiment.

Virgil

>Do you have a link to one of the guides? I may have a go at trying
>different
>ways of converting one to EPUB just to see how it works. Might be kind of
>fun.
>
>Virgil

deleted

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
That sounds a lot like LaTeX being best if you stick with their defaults so it kinda makes sense to me.  I think the Docs Team (i think mostly Dan & Jean wasn't it?) experimented with a few ways of getting ePubs from the guides and they might have useful ideas about it even though it's years later already.

>________________________________

I just redid the Writer2epub test with my theology paper after applying
default LO styles. It worked a *lot* better. I really liked the way it
handled the default "Text Body" style by not indenting the first paragraph
after a heading and then indenting subsequent paragraphs. That is excellent
typography (a standard in LaTeX) and often missing in EPUB files. However,
it still ignored my attempt to apply outline numbering to the default
Heading styles. But, it did recognize the heading styles for my table of
contents and navigation keys on my Kindle.

As you allude, this is a good tool as long as you understand what it will,
and will not, do. Work within its parameters and you'll like the result. Try
to make it work *your* way, and it will disappoint.

Virgil

That sounds a lot like LaTeX being best if you stick with their defaults so
it kinda makes sense to me.  I think the Docs Team (i think mostly Dan &
Jean wasn't it?) experimented with a few ways of getting ePubs from the
guides and they might have useful ideas about it even though it's years
later already.

>________________________________

deleted

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Another thing I noticed about the writer2epub extension. When I first
downloaded it, it would not properly install into my LO 3.6.7. I then
uninstalled my AOO 3.4.1 and AOO 4.0. The writer2epub extension then
installed into LO.

It appears (as others have alluded) that LO and AOO have some conflicts when
installed side by side on the same machine (registry perhaps which is beyond
my knowledge). Since I'm finding that LO is progressing better than AOO, I'm
happy to commit to just one of the suites.

Virgil

That sounds a lot like LaTeX being best if you stick with their defaults so
it kinda makes sense to me.  I think the Docs Team (i think mostly Dan &
Jean wasn't it?) experimented with a few ways of getting ePubs from the
guides and they might have useful ideas about it even though it's years
later already.

>________________________________

deleted

deleted

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
That progress is sometimes a double-edge sword.  Many of us stick with older branches, or in other word only upgrade most of our machines to the newer branch when the newer one reaches x.x.3 or x.x.4.

On the other hand AOO is more stable for more of it's branches life-cycles precisely because they don't develop so fast, which kinda makes it a tad dull and unlikely to succeed in the longer term once everyone else has left it so far behind.

There is a guide somewhere on how to get 2 versions of these suites working alongside each other.  It's not trivial, unless you have done it before in which case it's probably quite easy

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Book-writing with Writer

There is a version for AOO, several actually written by a guy with an
Italian country code.

One for version if for 3.x, another for 4.0, and a new Beta one.

So you may need to look into which one you are using for which version
of LO or AOO.

I found this out by Googling "odf to epub converter"

Next » 12345 « Prev