Book-writing with Writer

Next » 12345 « Prev
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Book-writing with Writer

I got mine from http://lukesblog.it/ebooks/ebook-tools/writer2epub/. There's
a version that words for LO 3, LO 4 and AOO 3, along with a separate version
for AOO 4.

My problem wasn't that I had the wrong version. I got the version that was
designed for LO. It just wouldn't install as long as I had AOO on my system.
Once I uninstalled AOO, the extension worked fine with LO.

Of course, I have no idea *why* this behavior occurred. I won't blame AOO or
anything else. I can't even scientifically say that LO and AOO had a
conflict. I just know that, once I uninstalled AOO, I was able to install
the writer2epub extension into my LO. I recalled someone else on the list
saying that LO and AOO may conflict by sharing common Windows registry
entries. That stuff is beyond my abilities, but I just shared it for others
who may be interested.

Virgil

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi all !

Virgil, How did you try to install the "writer2epub" ? Did you use the
wizzard that have LO or AOO ?

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El mar, 13-08-2013 a las 20:36 -0400, Virgil Arrington escribió:

> I got mine from http://lukesblog.it/ebooks/ebook-tools/writer2epub/. There's
> a version that words for LO 3, LO 4 and AOO 3, along with a separate version
> for AOO 4.
>
> My problem wasn't that I had the wrong version. I got the version that was
> designed for LO. It just wouldn't install as long as I had AOO on my system.
> Once I uninstalled AOO, the extension worked fine with LO.
>
> Of course, I have no idea *why* this behavior occurred. I won't blame AOO or
> anything else. I can't even scientifically say that LO and AOO had a
> conflict. I just know that, once I uninstalled AOO, I was able to install
> the writer2epub extension into my LO. I recalled someone else on the list
> saying that LO and AOO may conflict by sharing common Windows registry
> entries. That stuff is beyond my abilities, but I just shared it for others
> who may be interested.
>
> Virgil

Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

nabbler nabbler

Re: Book-writing with Writer

On 13/08/2013, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just did a couple experiments with LO and Writer2epub. I tried converting
>
> the entire 390 page Getting Started book to EPUB. It choked. I then tried
> doing the same with just the 18 page introduction. Same result. No EPUB
> output file was generated.
>
> I noticed that Writer2epub doesn't like custom styles. It is apparently
> designed for fairly simple documents, using LO's built-in styles. It can't
> handle the elaborate formatting of the LO User Guides.

That was an ambitious test! Perhaps LaTeX might be better: convert to
(x)html using tex4ht and then compile the epub. Personally, would edit
the xml using a text editor and compile the epub via the command
terminal; compilation is surprisingly easy.

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
That sounds like a nightmare!  You made it look like a series of stepping stones rather than the single hop we were hoping for.

However, when i look again you are really talking about just 1 format in the middle?  Then the extra editing is just an optional finesse that Virgil could probably dodge for the test-run?

The command-line bit also sounds a bit scary but if you could give a command that Virgil could try out by using copy&paste then that might be "do-able"

>________________________________

Joaquín Lameiro Joaquín Lameiro

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi.

Has anybody tried to do the exporting with eLAIX? It's in the official LO extensions repository, and I think it works quite well:
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/elaix

I can give it a try, if someone gives me the link to a specific ODT document.
Regards,
Joaquín

________________________________
That sounds like a nightmare!  You made it look like a series of stepping stones rather than the single hop we were hoping for.

However, when i look again you are really talking about just 1 format in the middle?  Then the extra editing is just an optional finesse that Virgil could probably dodge for the test-run?

The command-line bit also sounds a bit scary but if you could give a command that Virgil could try out by using copy&paste then that might be "do-able"

>________________________________

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

>________________________________

I installed it through LO's extension manager.

I also found that I had to change the name of the extension file from a
"zip" file to an "oxt" file. I just did that through Windows Explorer. Even
though LO's extension manager says it recognizes ZIP files, it installed
better with an OXT extension. I don't know why.

Now that I think about it, maybe that was the key variable rather than
uninstalling AOO. Looks like I changed too many variables to be able to say
for certain *which* change made the whole thing work. And, I did it all so
quickly that I cannot now recall the order of all my changes.

Virgil

Virgil, How did you try to install the "writer2epub" ? Did you use the
wizzard that have LO or AOO ?

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El mar, 13-08-2013 a las 20:36 -0400, Virgil Arrington escribió:

> I got mine from http://lukesblog.it/ebooks/ebook-tools/writer2epub/.
> There's
> a version that words for LO 3, LO 4 and AOO 3, along with a separate
> version
> for AOO 4.
>
> My problem wasn't that I had the wrong version. I got the version that was
> designed for LO. It just wouldn't install as long as I had AOO on my
> system.
> Once I uninstalled AOO, the extension worked fine with LO.
>
> Of course, I have no idea *why* this behavior occurred. I won't blame AOO
> or
> anything else. I can't even scientifically say that LO and AOO had a
> conflict. I just know that, once I uninstalled AOO, I was able to install
> the writer2epub extension into my LO. I recalled someone else on the list
> saying that LO and AOO may conflict by sharing common Windows registry
> entries. That stuff is beyond my abilities, but I just shared it for
> others
> who may be interested.
>
> Virgil

Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Book-writing with Writer

I was just playing around. I'm not so motivated as to do all of what you're
suggesting.

I've had a Kindle now for a couple years, and I've been fascinated with
trying different ways of creating/converting documents for its use. The
basic Kindle (as opposed to the Fire), is just a text reader. While it will
display graphics, it's not very elegant. I've found that books with anything
more than a stream of text create issues for the Kindle.

I have to wonder if the LO user guides are simply too complex for elegant
translation to e-reader format.

Virgil

On 13/08/2013, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just did a couple experiments with LO and Writer2epub. I tried
> converting
>
> the entire 390 page Getting Started book to EPUB. It choked. I then tried
> doing the same with just the 18 page introduction. Same result. No EPUB
> output file was generated.
>
> I noticed that Writer2epub doesn't like custom styles. It is apparently
> designed for fairly simple documents, using LO's built-in styles. It can't
> handle the elaborate formatting of the LO User Guides.

That was an ambitious test! Perhaps LaTeX might be better: convert to
(x)html using tex4ht and then compile the epub. Personally, would edit
the xml using a text editor and compile the epub via the command
terminal; compilation is surprisingly easy.

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: Book-writing with Writer

"e-letter":

> ...maybe epub for electronic archives.

EPUB is an Apple/Adobe proprietary format not supported beyond iF...
devices, which is missing critical features needed for books.
It's not an option.

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi  :)
Yes, it was a good trial run.  I was wondering how much further you would have time for or if anyone else would be keen to "take the batton" and see if they could take it further.

>________________________________

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: Book-writing with Writer

http://idpf.org/epub

On Aug 14, 2013, at 4:33 AM, "Urmas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "e-letter":
>
>> ...maybe epub for electronic archives.
>
> EPUB is an Apple/Adobe proprietary format not supported beyond iF... devices, which is missing critical features needed for books.
> It's not an option.

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
Does that mean it is an ISO standard?  It's a bit unclear who international Digital Publishing Forum are.  Are they widely known and accepted or are they just a branch of Adobe or Apple or someone?

>________________________________

It is an ISO standard (or at least in the way to be): http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=53255

Also, there's some useful information on Wikipedia. I didn't went to it thoroughly, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB

Maybe Urmas confused EPUB with the Digital Rights Management system (DRM) which is basically proprietary anticopy software, and is supported by EPUB (as a way to avoid piracy and, I guess, to control the market of books). But EPUB is open source, standardized and is the format used by most e-readers (by all, I will say, with the exception of Kindle, which of course has a proprietary file format). And there's no need to use DMR on it.

________________________________
Does that mean it is an ISO standard?  It's a bit unclear who international Digital Publishing Forum are.  Are they widely known and accepted or are they just a branch of Adobe or Apple or someone?

>________________________________

Tom Tom

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Hi :)
Perhaps :)  I think there are a lot of us who still haven't checked out these fancy new gizmos.  I'm still calling LiveUsb a LiveCd and then having to correct myself.

>________________________________

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: Book-writing with Writer

"Joaquín Lameiro":

Please name me any 3rd-party reader which supports HTML5 and CSS3
sufficiently enough to provide all the features one can expect from a book.
That so-called standard is too expensive for independent implementation and
cannot guarantee acceptable results.

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Book-writing with Writer

The strange thing was I didn’t extract the oxt from the zip. I simply renamed the zip to an oxt. There was no oxt file inside the zip.

Virgil

I think extracting the Oxt from the Zip file makes it work better but i haven't really dabbled with Extensions much at all so i really don't know either

  Virgil, How did you try to install the "writer2epub" ? Did you use the
  wizzard that have LO or AOO ?

  Regards,

  Jorge Rodríguez

  El mar, 13-08-2013 a las 20:36 -0400, Virgil Arrington escribió:
  > I got mine from http://lukesblog.it/ebooks/ebook-tools/writer2epub/.
  > There's
  > a version that words for LO 3, LO 4 and AOO 3, along with a separate
  > version
  > for AOO 4.
  >
  > My problem wasn't that I had the wrong version. I got the version that was
  > designed for LO. It just wouldn't install as long as I had AOO on my
  > system.
  > Once I uninstalled AOO, the extension worked fine with LO.
  >
  > Of course, I have no idea *why* this behavior occurred. I won't blame AOO
  > or
  > anything else. I can't even scientifically say that LO and AOO had a
  > conflict. I just know that, once I uninstalled AOO, I was able to install
  > the writer2epub extension into my LO. I recalled someone else on the list
  > saying that LO and AOO may conflict by sharing common Windows registry
  > entries. That stuff is beyond my abilities, but I just shared it for
  > others
  > who may be interested.
  >
  > Virgil

  Atentamente,

  Jorge Rodríguez

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Book-writing with Writer

At 21:02 14/08/2013 -0400, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>The strange thing was I didn't extract the oxt from the zip. I
>simply renamed the zip to an oxt. There was no oxt file inside the zip.

You didn't need to.  An .oxt file, like other ODF formats, is itself
a zip archive.  What has happened is that the process of downloading
the file has incorrectly modified its .odt extension to .zip - which
is not unusual, in fact.  (Don't ask me why or in what circumstances
this occurs, but it does: it appears to be a quirk of Internet
Explorer.)  In such cases, you need merely to rename the file back to
have its correct original extension - as you did.

Brian Barker

Joaquín Lameiro Joaquín Lameiro

Re: Book-writing with Writer

No idea. It's true that epub is quite limited when it comes to style, but it is mostly used for electronic ink readers, which, by now, are black and white small devices designed to read books, in the classic meaning of the word: that is, text with some minimal format. Maybe you're right when you say that is not good enough, but it serves to a very specific purpose. What I fear is that it may not be appropriate for complex structured documents, like manuals, text-books, etc. that usually are built with a lot of frames.

Then again, I'm going to try to export one of the LibO manuals and see what happens.
Regards,
Joaquín

________________________________

"Joaquín Lameiro":

Please name me any 3rd-party reader which supports HTML5 and CSS3
sufficiently enough to provide all the features one can expect from a book.
That so-called standard is too expensive for independent implementation and
cannot guarantee acceptable results.

Screwbottle Screwbottle

Re: Book-writing with Writer

Nice reply Brian and spot on. And correct it is a quirk of IE to see a
file with a compressed content, and assume it's a zip. And again I
continue my head scratching until I'm bald, as to why people still want
to use IE with it's archaic code, and ongoing quirks and security flaws.

This when there are superior and up to date Internet browsers out there.

Andrew Brown

On 15/08/2013 06:08 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 21:02 14/08/2013 -0400, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>> The strange thing was I didn't extract the oxt from the zip. I simply
>> renamed the zip to an oxt. There was no oxt file inside the zip.
>
> You didn't need to.  An .oxt file, like other ODF formats, is itself a
> zip archive.  What has happened is that the process of downloading the
> file has incorrectly modified its .odt extension to .zip - which is
> not unusual, in fact.  (Don't ask me why or in what circumstances this
> occurs, but it does: it appears to be a quirk of Internet Explorer.)
> In such cases, you need merely to rename the file back to have its
> correct original extension - as you did.
>
> Brian Barker

Fernand Vanrie Fernand Vanrie

Re: Book-writing with Writer

trie the Elaix extension