Boolean configuration settings not editable in tools - advanced - expert configuration

Winfried Donkers-4 Winfried Donkers-4

Boolean configuration settings not editable in tools - advanced - expert configuration

>> For reasons unknown to me, boolean configuration settings are read only on the
>> expert configuration dialog, int/long values can be edited. This is not just in master,
>> but e.g. in version 6.0 as part of openSUSE too. I didn't investigate whether this
>> is as designed or a bug, as the focus of the current patch is the error rectangle code.

> I don't understand exactly what you claim is broken. Can you be more specific please?
> (As you mention "version 6.0", it seems that you are talking about a generic issue,
> not a specific issue with this patch? But there are certainly many properties of boolean
> type in the registry, and I don't see a reason why this specific property should be of
> type int when it actually models a yes/no option.)

I noticed a general unexpected behaviour when working with LibreOffice in Tools-Advanced-Expert Configuration.
When the setting is of type boolean, I cannot change the setting. I tried various existing settings, mainly in org.openoffice.Office.Calc and both with current Master and version as distributed with openSUSE Leap 15.0.
My conclusion was that for reasons unknown to me, boolean settings are not editable and int settings are.
So I choose to use an int as type for a setting that is 'on' or 'off'.
I forgot to mention this behaviour in the mailing list when I made my discovery.

I'm trying to put that right now, and I would like to know whether the behaviour I described is intentional, a bug, or whether I did something in an incorrect way.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

WRT the specific issue, I want the setting to be of type boolean _and_ I need the setting to be editable. The latter is the most important at the moment, as the exact location (registry and/or document) and the accompanying UI are yet to be decided/inplemented.

Winfried

Mike Kaganski Mike Kaganski

Re: Boolean configuration settings not editable in tools - advanced - expert configuration

On 04.02.2019 11:53, Winfried Donkers wrote:

>>> For reasons unknown to me, boolean configuration settings are read only on the
>>> expert configuration dialog, int/long values can be edited. This is not just in master,
>>> but e.g. in version 6.0 as part of openSUSE too. I didn't investigate whether this
>>> is as designed or a bug, as the focus of the current patch is the error rectangle code.
>
>> I don't understand exactly what you claim is broken. Can you be more specific please?
>> (As you mention "version 6.0", it seems that you are talking about a generic issue,
>> not a specific issue with this patch? But there are certainly many properties of boolean
>> type in the registry, and I don't see a reason why this specific property should be of
>> type int when it actually models a yes/no option.)
>
> I noticed a general unexpected behaviour when working with LibreOffice in Tools-Advanced-Expert Configuration.
> When the setting is of type boolean, I cannot change the setting. I tried various existing settings, mainly in org.openoffice.Office.Calc and both with current Master and version as distributed with openSUSE Leap 15.0.
> My conclusion was that for reasons unknown to me, boolean settings are not editable and int settings are.

Could you please describe what exactly "not editable" means? I.e., "I
double-click the boolean setting, and expect a dialog to pop up like for
ints, but instead, the setting just changes from true to false and back
in place, without dialogs"?

Mike Kaganski
Winfried Donkers-4 Winfried Donkers-4

RE: Boolean configuration settings not editable in tools - advanced - expert configuration

Hi Mike,

>> I noticed a general unexpected behaviour when working with LibreOffice in Tools-Advanced-Expert Configuration.
>> When the setting is of type boolean, I cannot change the setting. I tried various existing settings, mainly in org.openoffice.Office.Calc and both with current Master and version as distributed with openSUSE Leap 15.0.
>> My conclusion was that for reasons unknown to me, boolean settings are not editable and int settings are.

> Could you please describe what exactly "not editable" means? I.e., "I
> double-click the boolean setting, and expect a dialog to pop up like for
> ints, but instead, the setting just changes from true to false and back
> in place, without dialogs"?

Ah, now I'm beginning to understand what isn't clear.
When using LO on a Linux machine, I need to double click a setting to edit it. In all cases, a dialog appears. For string and int type settings, I can change/replace the value. For boolean seeting, a dialog appears, bu I cannot change true to false or vice versa.
When using LO on a Windows machine (where I am at his moment), there is a difference in tha case of boolean type settings. No dialogs appears, but the value inverts by double-clicking.
I could not acchieve this (change the value of a boolean type setting by just double-clicking) on my openSUSE leap 15.0 machines - which I cannot access right now.

HTH,

Winfried

Michael Stahl-3 Michael Stahl-3

On 04.02.19 10:10, Winfried Donkers wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
>>> I noticed a general unexpected behaviour when working with LibreOffice in Tools-Advanced-Expert Configuration.
>>> When the setting is of type boolean, I cannot change the setting. I tried various existing settings, mainly in org.openoffice.Office.Calc and both with current Master and version as distributed with openSUSE Leap 15.0.
>>> My conclusion was that for reasons unknown to me, boolean settings are not editable and int settings are.
>
>> Could you please describe what exactly "not editable" means? I.e., "I
>> double-click the boolean setting, and expect a dialog to pop up like for
>> ints, but instead, the setting just changes from true to false and back
>> in place, without dialogs"?
>
> Ah, now I'm beginning to understand what isn't clear.
> When using LO on a Linux machine, I need to double click a setting to edit it. In all cases, a dialog appears. For string and int type settings, I can change/replace the value. For boolean seeting, a dialog appears, bu I cannot change true to false or vice versa.

i just built a current master, and i'm not seeing this; double click
toggles the boolean.

> When using LO on a Windows machine (where I am at his moment), there is a difference in tha case of boolean type settings. No dialogs appears, but the value inverts by double-clicking.
> I could not acchieve this (change the value of a boolean type setting by just double-clicking) on my openSUSE leap 15.0 machines - which I cannot access right now.

can you try different backends with SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen etc., maybe
it's specific to some particular one.
Winfried Donkers-4 Winfried Donkers-4

RE: Boolean configuration settings not editable in tools - advanced - expert configuration

>> When using LO on a Linux machine, I need to double click a setting to edit it. In all cases, a dialog
>> appears. For string and int type settings, I can change/replace the value. For boolean seeting, a
>> dialog appears, bu I cannot change true to false or vice versa.

> i just built a current master, and i'm not seeing this; double click
> toggles the boolean.

>> When using LO on a Windows machine (where I am at his moment), there is a difference in tha case of
>> boolean type settings. No dialogs appears, but the value inverts by double-clicking.
>> I could not acchieve this (change the value of a boolean type setting by just double-clicking) on my
>> openSUSE leap 15.0 machines - which I cannot access right now.

> can you try different backends with SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen etc., maybe
> it's specific to some particular one.

Will do. The annoying thing that I couldn't reproduce yesterday after a clean build, where I encountered the problem repeatedly in the weekend (on 1 machine).

Winfried