Branding ... Progress, Next Steps, Roadmap, Outlook?

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Branding ... Progress, Next Steps, Roadmap, Outlook?

Hi all,

I would like to ask you concerning the next steps with regard to the
branding of LibreOffice. Currently there are many discussions concerning
colors, the logo, the document symbol, mascots, ... all of them are
important, but from my point-of-view, some of them seem to be more
urgent than others at the moment.

As you may know, it is planned to release the last beta version within
the next week [1]. From that time, only stabilization will take place
and and no major changes will be made. This also has impact on the
branding material (splash screen, about box, icons, ...) that is
required very soon. Moreover, people start to work on "the real" CMS
system for the website and are already doing presentations.

So my proposal is the following:
      * For LibO 3.3: Use the branding material what is available and
        refine it according to the feedback that is available until now.
        We might be able to provide essential and stable information for
        the other teams (artwork, presentation material, portable LibO
        version). --> let's call that "initial branding"
      * From LibO 3.3. to 3.4: Finalize the branding stuff for "initial
        branding" and further refine it (e.g. create missing MIME icons
        etc.) and use it for the software. More important, start working
        on the "community branding" (e.g. brainstorming, community
        values, demos, agreement, ...).
      * After LibO 3.5: Use the "community branding" and for both the
        software and also for the web presence etc.

What do you think? We may ask the TDF Steering Committee to decide on
that to make this somehow official.

To make that a bit more straightforward: currently the TDF team prepares
a list of topics that require involvement from our side. We may turn
that into our roadmap - if you agree to the proposed steps. So we may
have enough time to e.g. re-think the logos and to come up with
something that really works.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] Steering Committee Meeting 2010-11-03
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Steering_Committee_Meetings#Update_on_LibO_3.3_development_and_localization_process_.28pootle.2C_localizations_for_LibO_3.3.29:

bedipp bedipp

Re: Branding ... Progress, Next Steps, Roadmap, Outlook?

Hi Christoph, all,

thanks for the description of the necessities for the moment and further
development. They are very important and highly appreciated!

Christoph Noack schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> [...]
> As you may know, it is planned to release the last beta version within
> the next week [1]. From that time, only stabilization will take place
> and and no major changes will be made. This also has impact on the
> branding material (splash screen, about box, icons, ...) that is
> required very soon. Moreover, people start to work on "the real" CMS
> system for the website and are already doing presentations.
>
> So my proposal is the following:
>        * For LibO 3.3: Use the branding material what is available and
>          refine it according to the feedback that is available until now.
>          We might be able to provide essential and stable information for
>          the other teams (artwork, presentation material, portable LibO
>          version). -->  let's call that "initial branding"

Even if I'd like to see different mimetype icons in the final release
than the OOo3.2.0 icons, I don't think we can create some in the short
timeframe, if we want to avoid lower quality.

We'll have to tell our users about the planned update of the graphics,
but at least we provide colors...

>        * From LibO 3.3. to 3.4: Finalize the branding stuff for "initial
>          branding" and further refine it (e.g. create missing MIME icons
>          etc.) and use it for the software. More important, start working
>          on the "community branding" (e.g. brainstorming, community
>          values, demos, agreement, ...).

This version should contain the final mimetype icons IMHO, even if they
would rather be part of the "community branding" for LibO 3.5. But I
don't want to release another version with the "old" icons - and don't
see a reason to create an interim branding set of icons for just one
release.

>        * After LibO 3.5: Use the "community branding" and for both the
>          software and also for the web presence etc.
>
> What do you think? We may ask the TDF Steering Committee to decide on
> that to make this somehow official.

+1

Best regards

Bernhard

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: Branding ... Progress, Next Steps, Roadmap, Outlook?

Hi Christoph, Bernhard, all,

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Bernhard Dippold
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Christoph, all,
>
> [...]
>
> Even if I'd like to see different mimetype icons in the final release than
> the OOo3.2.0 icons, I don't think we can create some in the short timeframe,
> if we want to avoid lower quality.

+1. We need time to iterate through designs and test them out
thoroughly to produce a high quality result. Of course, that doesn't
mean we have to stop what we're doing and wait - we will need good
momentum to deliver results in time and these directions will
certainly help in focusing our efforts.

> We'll have to tell our users about the planned update of the graphics, but
> at least we provide colors...
>

>>       * From LibO 3.3. to 3.4: Finalize the branding stuff for "initial
>>         branding" and further refine it (e.g. create missing MIME icons
>>         etc.) and use it for the software. More important, start working
>>         on the "community branding" (e.g. brainstorming, community
>>         values, demos, agreement, ...).
>
> This version should contain the final mimetype icons IMHO, even if they
> would rather be part of the "community branding" for LibO 3.5. But I don't
> want to release another version with the "old" icons - and don't see a
> reason to create an interim branding set of icons for just one release.

I agree, although I think all branding should be open to minor tweaks
(definition: taking existing material and modifying it some small way
to improve its usability). It would be nice if we shipped with perfect
icons but based on user feedback, there might be something we missed
no matter how much testing we do initially. There could be a branding
review and opportunities for more substantial changes for major
version-number releases.

>>       * After LibO 3.5: Use the "community branding" and for both the
>>         software and also for the web presence etc.
>>
>> What do you think? We may ask the TDF Steering Committee to decide on
>> that to make this somehow official.
>
> +1

+1 from me too, with one small caveat: I'm not sure about how soon
these releases are going to come out (i.e., faster than once every 6-8
months), so I wouldn't like to talk about version numbers without any
(rough) schedule.

Regards,
Ivan.

yorick yorick

On Friday 05 Nov 2010 21:18:53 Ivan M. wrote:

> Hi Christoph, Bernhard, all,
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Bernhard Dippold
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Christoph, all,
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Even if I'd like to see different mimetype icons in the final release
> > than the OOo3.2.0 icons, I don't think we can create some in the short
> > timeframe, if we want to avoid lower quality.
>
> +1. We need time to iterate through designs and test them out
> thoroughly to produce a high quality result. Of course, that doesn't
> mean we have to stop what we're doing and wait - we will need good
> momentum to deliver results in time and these directions will
> certainly help in focusing our efforts.

+1 there is a lot stuff to be done, we have a home now, we're ready to go

> > We'll have to tell our users about the planned update of the graphics,
> > but at least we provide colors...
> >
> >>       * From LibO 3.3. to 3.4: Finalize the branding stuff for "initial
> >>         branding" and further refine it (e.g. create missing MIME icons
> >>         etc.) and use it for the software. More important, start working
> >>         on the "community branding" (e.g. brainstorming, community
> >>         values, demos, agreement, ...).
> >
> > This version should contain the final mimetype icons IMHO, even if they
> > would rather be part of the "community branding" for LibO 3.5. But I
> > don't want to release another version with the "old" icons - and don't
> > see a reason to create an interim branding set of icons for just one
> > release.
>
> I agree, although I think all branding should be open to minor tweaks
> (definition: taking existing material and modifying it some small way
> to improve its usability). It would be nice if we shipped with perfect
> icons but based on user feedback, there might be something we missed
> no matter how much testing we do initially. There could be a branding
> review and opportunities for more substantial changes for major
> version-number releases.
>
> >>       * After LibO 3.5: Use the "community branding" and for both the
> >>         software and also for the web presence etc.
> >>
> >> What do you think? We may ask the TDF Steering Committee to decide on
> >> that to make this somehow official.
> >
> > +1

+1

> +1 from me too, with one small caveat: I'm not sure about how soon
> these releases are going to come out (i.e., faster than once every 6-8
> months), so I wouldn't like to talk about version numbers without any
> (rough) schedule.

Agreed, however if our release cycle is close to OOo's then I see no problem,
there is also the matter of how we number/name LibreO releases of course.  I'm
leaning toward sticking with OOo numbering until we have the full branding
pallet developed, then decide on our own release label convention.

cheers
GL
--
Graham Lauder,

Jens Habermann Jens Habermann

Re: Branding ... Progress, Next Steps, Roadmap, Outlook?

Hi!

+1 - This is a good roadmap

> So my proposal is the following:
>      * For LibO 3.3: Use the branding material what is available and
>        refine it according to the feedback that is available until now.
>        We might be able to provide essential and stable information for
>        the other teams (artwork, presentation material, portable LibO
>        version). --> let's call that "initial branding"
>      * From LibO 3.3. to 3.4: Finalize the branding stuff for "initial
>        branding" and further refine it (e.g. create missing MIME icons
>        etc.) and use it for the software. More important, start working
>        on the "community branding" (e.g. brainstorming, community
>        values, demos, agreement, ...).
>      * After LibO 3.5: Use the "community branding" and for both the
>        software and also for the web presence etc.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Branding ... Progress, Next Steps, Roadmap, Outlook?

Hi Ivan, hi Bernhard, Jens, *!

Am Freitag, den 05.11.2010, 21:18 +1300 schrieb Ivan M.:
[...]

> > We'll have to tell our users about the planned update of the graphics, but
> > at least we provide colors...
> >

> >>       * From LibO 3.3. to 3.4: Finalize the branding stuff for "initial
> >>         branding" and further refine it (e.g. create missing MIME icons
> >>         etc.) and use it for the software. More important, start working
> >>         on the "community branding" (e.g. brainstorming, community
> >>         values, demos, agreement, ...).
> >
> > This version should contain the final mimetype icons IMHO, even if they
> > would rather be part of the "community branding" for LibO 3.5. But I don't
> > want to release another version with the "old" icons - and don't see a
> > reason to create an interim branding set of icons for just one release.

Of course, if we are that good :-)

> I agree, although I think all branding should be open to minor tweaks
> (definition: taking existing material and modifying it some small way
> to improve its usability). It would be nice if we shipped with perfect
> icons but based on user feedback, there might be something we missed
> no matter how much testing we do initially. There could be a branding
> review and opportunities for more substantial changes for major
> version-number releases.
>
> >>       * After LibO 3.5: Use the "community branding" and for both the
> >>         software and also for the web presence etc.
> >>
> >> What do you think? We may ask the TDF Steering Committee to decide on
> >> that to make this somehow official.
> >
> > +1
>
> +1 from me too, with one small caveat: I'm not sure about how soon
> these releases are going to come out (i.e., faster than once every 6-8
> months), so I wouldn't like to talk about version numbers without any
> (rough) schedule.

It was more meant to get an idea how it could work - but I also assumed
approx. 6 months between the releases. To be honest, I didn't want to
talk about a time based roadmap (within this idea) without knowing some
dates for the currently planned LibO 3.3 ;-)

However, it seems there is some agreement - and I am very happy about
that. I'm very much looking forward what we can achieve :-)

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Christoph