Briefing

Thorsten Wilms Thorsten Wilms

Briefing

Hi!

Originally sent to tdf-discuss, as I thought it would be slightly more
appropriate, but it remains without answer there.

So this is for those who are not subscribed to tdf-discuss:

A proper briefing should be at the root of designing a better logo, no
matter if there will be a contest or not. Actually this is true for any
design or development effort.

So what is the most minimal core of a missions statement, what is the
essence, the high level goal just a bit more specific than "make the
world a better place"? ;)

How about:

Mission Statement
=================

Develop an office productivity solution and make it and the project
itself available to and accessible by a majority of humans.

It follows:
- Given our modern needs, there needs to be software
- Internationalization
- Free Software
- All major platforms
- Interoperability
  - Open, documented interfaces
  - Open, documented file formats
  - Compatibility with other solutions
- Collaboration
  - Meritocracy (there needs to be some hurdle for contributing and
based on ability*effort is best, if you care about the result)

Notes
=====

I would usually encourage defining an audience as narrow as possible,
but it seems the widest possible scope is actually defining for this
project. If not, please step forward with definitions of a narrower
audience.

The statement is phrased in a way that opens the door for education and
non-software bound approaches.

The word "develop" shall imply optimizing the process and outcome. "Best
possible" or "optimal" would just bloat the statement, as it's clear
that you don't want an just-acceptable solution. However, it's not clear
what optimal or best possible really means in the end.

But what is an "office productivity solution" or an "office (software)
suite", actually? How do you define the scope here? How do you include
enough, but not too much?

You could say: the solution must cover:
- text documents with embedded graphics, from letters to books
- presentations, including animations, embedded sound and video
- doing Calculations, including in a tabular fashion (spreadsheet)
- managing interlinked data and doing queries (relational database)

Long term, both "spreadsheets" and "relational database" might be too
specific, as they don't define the actual needs and goals being
addressed. Seeing spreadsheets and relational database as solutions, can
you define the problems they solve succinctly?

How to rule out (given we really have/want to):
- (full-featured) audio and video editing?
- advanced animation features (think Flash, Synfig)?
- advanced scientific and engineering needs regarding calculations,
including simulations?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

bedipp bedipp

Re: LibO Mission Statement ? [was: Briefing]

Hi Thorsten, all,

Thorsten Wilms schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Originally sent to tdf-discuss, as I thought it would be slightly more
> appropriate, but it remains without answer there.

I started a reply there, but didn't manage to finish it (time problem...)

> So this is for those who are not subscribed to tdf-discuss:
>

> A proper briefing should be at the root of designing a better logo, no
> matter if there will be a contest or not. Actually this is true for any
> design or development effort.

It is true for any work:

What is my interest in doing this ?

What are the goals I'm heading to ?

Are there others working on the same direction?

What are the interests of our target groups?

> So what is the most minimal core of a missions statement, what is the
> essence, the high level goal just a bit more specific than "make the
> world a better place"? ;)

Defining a mission statement is crucial - thanks for starting this
discussion. I changed the subject to reflect this importance.

> How about:
>

> Mission Statement
> =================
>
> Develop an office productivity solution and make it and the project
> itself available to and accessible by a majority of humans.

Create and maintain a community of individuals and groups working
collaboratively on different aspects of this development.

> It follows:
> - Given our modern needs, there needs to be software
> - Internationalization
> - Free Software
> - All major platforms
> - Interoperability
>    - Open, documented interfaces
>    - Open, documented file formats
>    - Compatibility with other solutions
> - Collaboration
>    - Meritocracy (there needs to be some hurdle for contributing and
> based on ability*effort is best, if you care about the result)

Free Software and open file format (ODF should be mentioned here) are
main topics IMHO - the other describe details of the main goals.

> Notes
> =====
>
> I would usually encourage defining an audience as narrow as possible,
> but it seems the widest possible scope is actually defining for this
> project. If not, please step forward with definitions of a narrower
> audience.

As our target groups differ very much in their interest and needs, a
broad audience is the right approach. Granularity might be feasible by
extensions and re-bundled applications, but  this might not be topic of
the Mission Statement.

> The statement is phrased in a way that opens the door for education and
> non-software bound approaches.
>
> The word "develop" shall imply optimizing the process and outcome. "Best
> possible" or "optimal" would just bloat the statement, as it's clear
> that you don't want an just-acceptable solution. However, it's not clear
> what optimal or best possible really means in the end.

I started to think this way, but you are right: Even if our goal is to
become the best and most used office suite in the world, it is not
necessary to state this here.

With regards to other ODF office suites this might lead to more
cooperation and less concurrency.

> But what is an "office productivity solution" or an "office (software)
> suite", actually? How do you define the scope here? How do you include
> enough, but not too much?

That mainly depends on our goals:

If we want to broaden the focus of applications / features / files
(calender, music, video, flash etc), the focus shouldn't be too narrow.

On the other hand this would lead to expectations and development effort
that might be better focused on improving the existing specialized
applications inside and outside of LibO - while integration via gateways
and interfaces definitively makes sense.

Best regards

Bernhard

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-16 18:18, Bernhard Dippold a écrit :

> [...]
> become the best and most used office suite in the world, it is not
> necessary to state this here.
>
> With regards to other ODF office suites this might lead to more
> cooperation and less concurrency.
>

>> But what is an "office productivity solution" or an "office (software)
>> suite", actually? How do you define the scope here? How do you include
>> enough, but not too much?
>
> That mainly depends on our goals:
>
> If we want to broaden the focus of applications / features / files
> (calender, music, video, flash etc), the focus shouldn't be too narrow.
>
> On the other hand this would lead to expectations and development effort
> that might be better focused on improving the existing specialized
> applications inside and outside of LibO - while integration via gateways
> and interfaces definitively makes sense.

Before embarking on this process, should we first get some direction
from the SC? Should we formalise this a little more? BTW ... Graham
Lauder is excellent at organising these things if he is not too busy.

Marc

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 00:18 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> > Develop an office productivity solution and make it and the project
> > itself available to and accessible by a majority of humans.
>
> Create and maintain a community of individuals and groups working
> collaboratively on different aspects of this development.

Or:
Maximize the availability and the quality of the user experience of an
office productivity solution for a majority of humans.

Maximize the enjoyment and productivity within the project.

Notes:
- The solutions in our hands isn't the goal, the solution in the user's
hands is.
- There's no actual solution, but just potential, until the user does
use it, which makes it necessary that he needs or wants to and knows
how.
- Maximizing productivity may encompass winning over as many
contributors as possible and making the most of their time and effort.
- Happy people may be more productive and increasing enjoyment could be
treated as measure to increase productivity. But who would want to be
productive without feeling good?

> > It follows:
> > - Given our modern needs, there needs to be software
> > - Internationalization
> > - Free Software
> > - All major platforms
> > - Interoperability
> >    - Open, documented interfaces
> >    - Open, documented file formats
> >    - Compatibility with other solutions
> > - Collaboration
> >    - Meritocracy (there needs to be some hurdle for contributing and
> > based on ability*effort is best, if you care about the result)
>
> Free Software and open file format (ODF should be mentioned here) are
> main topics IMHO - the other describe details of the main goals.

I see both as aspects of the solution. Free Software as imperatively so,
but ODF could see replacement, at least in theory.

> > But what is an "office productivity solution" or an "office (software)
> > suite", actually? How do you define the scope here? How do you include
> > enough, but not too much?
>
> That mainly depends on our goals:
>
> If we want to broaden the focus of applications / features / files
> (calender, music, video, flash etc), the focus shouldn't be too narrow.
>
> On the other hand this would lead to expectations and development effort
> that might be better focused on improving the existing specialized
> applications inside and outside of LibO - while integration via gateways
> and interfaces definitively makes sense.

Trying to define the scope of an "office productivity solution" from
typical office tasks would lead the the inclusion of communication and
scheduling, among other things.

But limited resources have to be spend well. I doubt the project could
or should afford to write another Outlook/Evolution, for example. This
asks for cooperation/interoperability/integration.

I still wonder what would be common to a
- word processor
- spreadsheet
- presentation app
- drawing app
- database app
?

All but the database seem to be somewhat paper-oriented, at least in the
sense that there are pages (or slides). You deal with documents.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

John Baer John Baer

Re: LibO Mission Statement ? [was: Briefing]

Hello Everyone,

This thread has a-lot of good information but - isn't the task at hand to
encourage folks to post "logo" submissions for this product?

If not, this may be a good reason to split the list as IMO some folks will
be interested and others not.  I anticipate we will have participation from
a broad spectrum of individuals which include "professionals" and "others"
who just want to contribute.

Just my thoughts. :-)

Respectfully,

John

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 08:20 -0500, John Baer wrote:

> This thread has a-lot of good information but - isn't the task at hand to
> encourage folks to post "logo" submissions for this product?

Only if you want aimless (when seen as a whole) logo proposals and no
good way to evaluate them.

Otherwise there needs to be a briefing for the logo, which depends on
the mission statement and strategy/message.

That said, it isn't necessary to refine the mission statement down to
punctuation, before we can specify desired characteristics.

To speak to those responsible at organizations (companies, NGOs,
government agencies  ...), I think there has to be a sense of
reliability, precision, performance. They want support solutions and be
sure that the project is still there in a decade or more. This asks for
some weight, an impression of scale.

However, the Freedom/Libre aspect suggest lightness and bright colors.

It’s an open project, welcoming contributors. This often leads to bullet
points like "friendly" and "inviting". We may want to look for wide,
open and round shapes and vibrant, but not agressive color.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: LibO Mission Statement ? [was: Briefing]

Hi all!

Am Mittwoch, den 17.11.2010, 18:28 +0100 schrieb Thorsten Wilms:

> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 08:20 -0500, John Baer wrote:
>
> > This thread has a-lot of good information but - isn't the task at
> hand to
> > encourage folks to post "logo" submissions for this product?
>
> Only if you want aimless (when seen as a whole) logo proposals and no
> good way to evaluate them.

Yep, I do strongly support these statements.

It is not only the logo - we started to shape the appearance (and thus:
the characteristic that will be perceived by the users and developers)
of the whole project.

Personally, I see the independent evaluation (or selection) of
contributions that do have impact on the user as critical. It even boils
down the the text style we want to use ... being it neutral and
informative, or personal and emphasizing. Having all the different
contributors, sponsors and users (private, governments, businesses) in
mind, it is crucial to maintain a common direction.

An example - although the impact within the art activity within OOo was
limited, the main graphics were created by one person. A person serving
as the design lead ... that sometimes helps to ensure this common goal.
We - instead - do have the responsibility to enable contributions and
foster creativity, and to ensure consistency within the project.

If done correctly, you start by asking yourself (or the "classical"
marketing), what users you have and what target groups you want to
address, too. After some work, mixing, adapting, ... this boils down to
the briefing Thorsten talked about. Knowing for whom to design for, and
for what reason. The "magic" is to - then - select and / or develop a
contribution that suits these needs.

That might sound bold - it is! So is our project and our aim for
LibO :-) So the remaining question is, how to get some of the
information without having access to some required information sources
(or just by lacking time).

Cheers,
Christoph

Thorsten Wilms Thorsten Wilms

Re: LibO Mission Statement ? [was: Briefing]

Revised draft:

(

Level 0
=======

Make the world a better place.

)

Level 1
=======

Maximize
the availability
and the quality of the user experience
of an office productivity solution
for as many people as possible

Maximize
the enjoyment
and productivity
within the project.

Central to the office productivity solution are document-centric
clerical tasks.
It first of all has to address the needs around writing letters, reports
and holding presentations, but also has to encompass doing calculations
and working with interlinked data.

Level 2
=======

Todays needs require a software solution.

Maximal availability requires
* Free Software.
* Covering all major operating system environments
* Internationalization.

Free Software strongly suggests
* an open, collaborative project. A Community effort.
* meritocracy (there needs to be some hurdle for contributing and one
based on ability * effort is best, if you care about the result)

Focusing on _a_ solution, not _the_ solution and not requiring that this
project delivers the entire solution, if parts of the puzzle are
provided by others, asks for Interoperability:
* Open, documented interfaces
* Open, documented file formats
* Compatibility with other solutions

Notes
=====

The solutions in our hands isn't the goal, the solution in the user's
hands is. There's no actual solution, but just potential, until the user
does use it, which makes it necessary that he needs or wants to and
knows how. Our users success is our success.

Maximizing productivity may encompass winning over as many contributors
as possible and making the most of their time and effort. Happy people
may be more productive and increasing enjoyment could be treated as
measure to increase productivity. But who would want to be productive
without feeling good?

Office productivity solutions in the form of so called "office suites"
typically contain a:
* word processor.
* spreadsheet.
* presentation program.
* (relational) database management system.
This list is not part of the mission statement, because these categories
already suggest solutions, without making it clear what the real needs
and wants are.

The database is of course not document-centric, but its reason for being
part of the suite should be the use in combination with the other tools.
The focus of development should be positioned accordingly.

ODF is just the current solution for having an open, documented file
format in wide use. As unlikely that might be to change, the mission
statement should take the long view and be very stable.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Thorsten Wilms Thorsten Wilms

Re: LibO Mission Statement ? [was: Briefing]

Here's in addition what came to my mind regarding community values.

We value:

* Having fun
* Respect for others and their work
* Acting responsibly
* Tolerance
* Openness and transparency
* Honesty
* Sharing
* Free Software / The 4 software freedoms
* Cooperation over Competition
* Collaboration across projects
* Interoperability and Standards
* Meritocracy
* Quality
* Critical thinking
* Noodles
* Science and research
* Education
* Constructive feedback
* The base assumption of good intentions of others
* The long view
* Always keeping the user in mind

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Thorsten Wilms Thorsten Wilms

Re: LibO Mission Statement ? [was: Briefing]

Nobody's paying attention or perhaps there are no objections and no
additions to offer ... ;)

Anyway, slightly tweaked again version now lives at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Mission

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: LibO Mission Statement ? [was: Briefing]

I strongly believe 'noodles' should be modified to 'starch based
boiled meal' which would reflect the multiculturalism of the community
(ie I prefer spaghetti) ;)

I strongly agree with all of these statements.
Maybe we should include something regarding equality across borders
and valuing others opinions?

Just an idea.
Michael Wheatland

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 20:37 +0930, Michael Wheatland wrote:
> I strongly believe 'noodles' should be modified to 'starch based
> boiled meal' which would reflect the multiculturalism of the community
> (ie I prefer spaghetti) ;)

Done!

> I strongly agree with all of these statements.
> Maybe we should include something regarding equality across borders
> and valuing others opinions?

Equality is tricky. I would hope that Tolerance and Meritocracy cover
the good part of it. This should include not caring about differences
that are outside the scope of the project. Equal access as a starting
point. But then we are not all equal and effort and skill have to make a
difference.

Likewise, the good part of valuing others opinions should be included
with "Respect for others and their work". As actually, not every opinion
should be valued, but every new opinion should be evaluated.

(Kidding, I just took the noodles out)

Thanks!

Wheatbix Wheatbix

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Thorsten Wilms <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (Kidding, I just took the noodles out)

I was looking forward to noodles :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAhLIlF0d0U