[Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

marcpare4 marcpare4

[Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

If some of you have been following the marketing and website mailing
list, you may have read a bit about a need for LibreOffice buttons (with
no subline) for external website use.

Would any members of the design team be interested in running up some
buttons that would be used for external website use? It looks like we
could offer these on the LibreOffice website as well as host the buttons
so that website owners would only have to add the appropriate script on
their site.

FYI, I've collected some data for you if you are interested. Some of the
links will give you a good idea of what is needed. Essentially we need a
number of buttons in various sizes for website owners to pick through.

Here are the links that I have found so far on this topic:

==============================

NN (not really sure, but I think this is Nick) created a whiteboard on
"External Banners" which holds valid information of parameters to
constructing "web banners/buttons. For organizational purposes, this
wiki page could be adjusted to include buttons:
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/External_web_banners

==============================

You can get a good idea of sample sizes that we would need from other
project pages who offer such buttons:

* AOO buttons page:
http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/marketing/web_buttons/ooo20buttons.html

* http://www.getfirefox.net/button.html ("GetFirefox" buttons page as an
example of button sizes that we could use.)

==============================

Here are some button/banner samples and wiki pages that could inspire
you. Maybe some of the buttons may need updating with the LibreOffice motif:

* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Banner_Proposals
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:See (page by Alex -- see
"Spread the Word" section on this page)
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Nik#Quick.27n.27dirty_banner
(page by Nik -- a quick and dirty banner that avoid glossy effect)
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Gallery_Buttons (this page has a
couple of placeholders -- created by Bernhard Dippold)
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Existing_Designs#Introduction
(There could be some samples or ideas that could be used to build
banners/buttons on this page: Existing Designs wiki page)
* http://lo-portal.us/images/LibreOffice-logo.png (Drew also points us
to this design on this site)
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice266x60.png (community
based logo with scatter by Drew)
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Libreoffice468x60-donate.png
(Donate banner with scatter by Drew)

==============================

Here are some threads that have discussed the need for "buttons for
external website use":

*
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/1574
(2010-12-11)
*
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.design/83
(2010-12-11)
*
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/3830
(2011-7-15)
*
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.design/2730
(2011-7-16)
*
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/3914
(2011-7-29)
* http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss/7497
*
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/5182
(2012-4-12)

==============================

Once discussed/approved they should be posted on the "Gallery of
Marketing and Design Resources" wiki page:
* http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements.

This page is where the marketing team will pick through when in need of
design material for marketing projects. This wiki page was put up to
keep our resources organized in a central location. Materials posted on
this page has been approved by the design/marketing-team.

==============================

Hosting buttons on TDF servers:

It looks like we are able to host the buttons on our TDF servers. The
"buttons" will be scripted and published on a webpage so that website
owners could install into their pages. You can find the discussion of
this here:
*
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.website/7645

==============================

It would be nice if someone could help out with creating these buttons
as we have been receiving requests for buttons since the very first week
of the creation of the LibreOffice project.

Many thanks for any help.

Marc

klaus-jürgen weghorn ol klaus-jürgen weghorn ol

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

Hi Marc,
Am 06.05.2012 10:09, schrieb Marc Paré:

> Would any members of the design team be interested in running up some
> buttons that would be used for external website use? It looks like we
> could offer these on the LibreOffice website as well as host the buttons
> so that website owners would only have to add the appropriate script on
> their site.

I'm interested and I work(ed) on this subject for some time [1].

> NN (not really sure, but I think this is Nick) created a whiteboard on

N.N. = Nomen nescio or Nomen nominandum [1]
There is no head of this subject.

[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomen_nescio)

> "External Banners" which holds valid information of parameters to
> constructing "web banners/buttons. For organizational purposes, this
> wiki page could be adjusted to include buttons:
> *
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/External_web_banners

The first step is:
Which size(s) are needed first?

Here are some proposals for 728x90:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/External_Banner_728x90

But as I heard from different sides there is a urgent necessity for some
smaller banners and buttons.

--
Grüße
k-j

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

Hi Klaus (am I using the right name? I always wonder when I reply to one
of your messages.)

Le 2012-05-06 12:50, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol a écrit :

> Hi Marc,
> Am 06.05.2012 10:09, schrieb Marc Paré:
>
>> Would any members of the design team be interested in running up some
>> buttons that would be used for external website use? It looks like we
>> could offer these on the LibreOffice website as well as host the buttons
>> so that website owners would only have to add the appropriate script on
>> their site.
>
> I'm interested and I work(ed) on this subject for some time [1].
>
>> NN (not really sure, but I think this is Nick) created a whiteboard on
>
> N.N. = Nomen nescio or Nomen nominandum [1]
> There is no head of this subject.
>
> [1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomen_nescio)
>
>> "External Banners" which holds valid information of parameters to
>> constructing "web banners/buttons. For organizational purposes, this
>> wiki page could be adjusted to include buttons:
>> *
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/External_web_banners
>>

> The first step is:
> Which size(s) are needed first?
>
> Here are some proposals for 728x90:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/External_Banner_728x90
>
> But as I heard from different sides there is a urgent necessity for some
> smaller banners and buttons.

Yes, smaller buttons would be really appreciated. Buttons in sizes found
on the "Get Firefox" pages are the most popular.

Cheers,

Marc

Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

Hi all,

I added two designs to the wiki page

Regards

Alex

klaus-jürgen weghorn ol klaus-jürgen weghorn ol

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

Hi Alex,
Am 08.05.2012 17:32, schrieb Alexander Wilms:
> Hi all,
>
> I added two designs to the wiki page

Can you please make pngs, the svgs sometimes won't be shown in the right
way.
In your case I only see two white rectangles with a red pink surrounding

---
Grüße
k-j

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

Hi Klaus

Le 2012-05-06 12:50, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol a écrit :

>> "External Banners" which holds valid information of parameters to
>> constructing "web banners/buttons. For organizational purposes, this
>> wiki page could be adjusted to include buttons:
>> *
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/External_web_banners
>>

> The first step is:
> Which size(s) are needed first?
>
> Here are some proposals for 728x90:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/External_Banner_728x90
>
> But as I heard from different sides there is a urgent necessity for some
> smaller banners and buttons.

I love those banners. Could you have the design team look at these and
then if all agree we could then post these on the Design "Visual
Elements" wiki page[1].

The marketing team would also appreciate having the svg version also as
the different language groups will want to modify with native text for
their use.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2012-05-08 11:32, Alexander Wilms a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I added two designs to the wiki page
>
> Regards
>
> Alex

Thanks for the samples.

I think that there would be a need for even smaller buttons. Take a look
at the footer on my site: http://www.EarlyMusicNews.org, where I have
put in a link to LibreOffice. I think that any of those two buttons
would not look right on the footer which is where most websites would
most likely offer to put our buttons, even if I put them on the
right-hand side of the footer section. The buttons are still too big.

Could you make these smaller still? Below are the size of buttons I feel
we should offer for external use; I've left my personal comments on
where I think the buttons could be used.

Sizes we need[1][2][3]:

80x15 -- I would add this to my website's footer
88x31 -- I would expect heavy use of this size for most sites -footer
110x32 -- I could see this size used in footer or left/right columns
120x60 -- These last 3 sizes -- mostly for left/right column use
125x50
180x60

BTW, yes png's are nicer to see on the wiki, but it would be nice to
also have the svg's as most marketing language groups will need to
replace the text with their own native language.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner#Standard_sizes
[2] http://www.iab.net/guidelines/508676/508767/displayguidelines
[3] http://www.getfirefox.net/button.html

Am 09.05.2012 19:37, schrieb Marc Paré:
> Hi Klaus
>
> Le 2012-05-06 12:50, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol a écrit :

[...]

>> Here are some proposals for 728x90:
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/External_Banner_728x90

[...]

> The marketing team would also appreciate having the svg version also as
> the different language groups will want to modify with native text for
> their use.

At the end of the tables there is the link to the svgs. E.g.:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/External_Banner_728x90#motif_1

--
Grüße
k-j

Am 06.05.2012 20:40, schrieb Marc Paré:
> Hi Klaus (am I using the right name? I always wonder when I reply to one
> of your messages.)

Oh, my first name is fully Klaus-Jürgen, but there is no problem when
you call me "Klaus" (because the "ü" won't be on most of the keyboards).
You can also call me "k-j" which is my nickname I got from a classmate
when DALLAS (JR Greetings) and Dynasty were all the rage.

--
Grüße
k-j

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

Hi K-J

No problem with using Klaus-Jürgen also, I'm French Canadian and type on
a French keyboard. K-J is kinda cool too! :-)

Cheers,

Marc

Le 2012-05-09 15:34, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol a écrit :

> Hi Marc,
>
> Am 06.05.2012 20:40, schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Hi Klaus (am I using the right name? I always wonder when I reply to one
>> of your messages.)
>
> Oh, my first name is fully Klaus-Jürgen, but there is no problem when
> you call me "Klaus" (because the "ü" won't be on most of the keyboards).
> You can also call me "k-j" which is my nickname I got from a classmate
> when DALLAS (JR Greetings) and Dynasty were all the rage.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

Hi K-J,

Thanks!

Marc

Le 2012-05-09 15:34, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol a écrit :

> Am 09.05.2012 19:37, schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Hi Klaus
>>
>> Le 2012-05-06 12:50, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol a écrit :
>
> [...]
>
>>> Here are some proposals for 728x90:
>>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/External_Banner_728x90
>
> [...]
>
>> The marketing team would also appreciate having the svg version also as
>> the different language groups will want to modify with native text for
>> their use.
>
> At the end of the tables there is the link to the svgs. E.g.:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/External_Banner_728x90#motif_1

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: [Buttons] Creating/Improving LibreOffice web banners/buttons for external website use

I was about to "nudge" the list to see if anything could to be done
about creating buttons and notice that KJ has added some "samples" on
the wiki page[1].

Here are my impressions:

* 88x15 and 88x31 -- nice designs.
The problem I see with these is that I don't think the TDF/LibreOffice
"page" icon is yet well known enough. Could we see LibreOffice there
instead of the page icon? Or, actually, could you leave these buttons
there and have another set without the page icon but with LibreOffice
(in LibreOffice "green")?

110x32 -- could you re-size the 88x31 to this size?

The rest of the sizes are great! They are really banner size once they
get to this size, but nice to have. I like the 728x90 that offers
different colours for use on external website where colour is a concern,
but, IMO, we should not stray too far from our iconic LibreOffice
green+scatter+page icon elements; this is what really sets us apart from
the look'n'feel of other office suite icons.

QR codes! Thanks! These will really come in useful for marketing
purposes. Works great!

Once these are done, could they be put up to a vote and then then listed
on the official design resources page[2]? Once they are listed on the
official resources page, I'll see about getting the buttons setup for
hosting on our servers and start advertising the fact that we now have
buttons for external site use.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Marc

[1]