CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Next » 12
sophi sophi

CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Hi all

Does anybody knows if we use CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?
Kind regards
Sophie

Mike Houben Mike Houben

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Hi Sophie,

do you mean for registration or for which part of the wiki are you talking?$

Mike

Am 06.02.2011 um 08:59 schrieb Sophie Gautier:

> Hi all
>
> Does anybody knows if we use CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?
> Kind regards
> Sophie
> --
> Founding member of The Document Foundation

sophi sophi

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Hi Mike,
On 06/02/2011 12:06, Mike Houben wrote:
> Hi Sophie,
>
> do you mean for registration or for which part of the wiki are you talking?$

Yes for registering a new user account. I don't like captcha, but that
may avoid spam too.

Kind regards
Sophie

Mike Houben Mike Houben

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Hi Sophie,

their [1] is no CAPTCHA. We should consider to put a small CAPTCHA their.

Mike

[1] http://cl.ly/0o430L2a3P1B270A1h1E

Michael Wheatland-2 Michael Wheatland-2

On 06/02/11 18:46, Mike Houben wrote:
> Hi Sophie,
>
> their [1] is no CAPTCHA. We should consider to put a small CAPTCHA their.
>
> Mike
Could we install http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ReCAPTCHA
I have global API keys for the service. In my experience ReCaptcha works
better than other captcha tools.

sophi sophi

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Hi Michael, all,
On 06/02/2011 12:44, Michael Wheatland wrote:
> On 06/02/11 18:46, Mike Houben wrote:
>> Hi Sophie,
>>
>> their [1] is no CAPTCHA. We should consider to put a small CAPTCHA their.
>>
>> Mike
> Could we install http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ReCAPTCHA
> I have global API keys for the service. In my experience ReCaptcha works
> better than other captcha tools.

My only concern is about accessibility, if there is no issue for AT
tools to access to the registration fields and complete the form, no
problem for me to install the one you prefer.
Otherwise, I prefer we do not add difficulties and I'll continue the
daily monitoring against spam.

On 06/02/11 20:18, Sophie Gautier wrote:
> My only concern is about accessibility, if there is no issue for AT
> tools to access to the registration fields and complete the form, no
> problem for me to install the one you prefer.
> Otherwise, I prefer we do not add difficulties and I'll continue the
> daily monitoring against spam.
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie
reCaptcha has good accessibility access as it also allows for the
generated passcode to be read aloud via audio.
http://www.google.com/recaptcha

Does anyone have any issue with implementing reCaptcha?

Michael Wheatland

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-06 13.16:
> reCaptcha has good accessibility access as it also allows for the
> generated passcode to be read aloud via audio.
> http://www.google.com/recaptcha
>
> Does anyone have any issue with implementing reCaptcha?

Manuel, do you know of any goot Captcha software and other measurements
to protect from spamming? Seems we're suffering from spam, although
e-mail verification is mandatory before editing pages.

Thanks,
Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Volker Merschmann Volker Merschmann

2011/2/6 Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>:

> Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-06 13.16:
>>
>> reCaptcha has good accessibility access as it also allows for the
>> generated passcode to be read aloud via audio.
>> http://www.google.com/recaptcha
>>
>> Does anyone have any issue with implementing reCaptcha?
>
> Manuel, do you know of any goot Captcha software and other measurements to
> protect from spamming? Seems we're suffering from spam, although e-mail
> verification is mandatory before editing pages.

I remember that wiki.services.openoffice.org also got it's Captcha
last year when the spam got to mouch.
Maybe we can look over there and see what Clayton installed.
It did not solve the problem to zero but to a manageable number.

Bye

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

drewjensen drewjensen

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 13:47 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2011/2/6 Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>:
> > Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-06 13.16:
> >>
> >> reCaptcha has good accessibility access as it also allows for the
> >> generated passcode to be read aloud via audio.
> >> http://www.google.com/recaptcha
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any issue with implementing reCaptcha?
> >
> > Manuel, do you know of any goot Captcha software and other measurements to
> > protect from spamming? Seems we're suffering from spam, although e-mail
> > verification is mandatory before editing pages.
> >
> I remember that wiki.services.openoffice.org also got it's Captcha
> last year when the spam got to mouch.
> Maybe we can look over there and see what Clayton installed.
> It did not solve the problem to zero but to a manageable number.

That's quite right - it will NOT drive it to zero, but in reality it
works better on wiki then on forum as it seemd the human spamers tend to
concentrate on forums/blogs and less so on wikis.

Document Foundation Mail Archives
drewjensen drewjensen

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 13:47 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2011/2/6 Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>:
> > Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-06 13.16:
> >>
> >> reCaptcha has good accessibility access as it also allows for the
> >> generated passcode to be read aloud via audio.
> >> http://www.google.com/recaptcha
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any issue with implementing reCaptcha?
> >
> > Manuel, do you know of any goot Captcha software and other measurements to
> > protect from spamming? Seems we're suffering from spam, although e-mail
> > verification is mandatory before editing pages.
> >
> I remember that wiki.services.openoffice.org also got it's Captcha
> last year when the spam got to mouch.
> Maybe we can look over there and see what Clayton installed.
> It did not solve the problem to zero but to a manageable number.

One more piece of information here - there is a new trend i spam, it is
showing up on lots of forums and I believe in this case wikis also and
that is to only register an account with the service (forum/wik) when
the profile for that service allows a URL for your personal website, and
then to start using Twitter to point to your personal profile page on
that site - this one is a real pain and OOoForum for instance has been
hit hard by it.

It is fairly new, last couple of years, and I don't really know how it
is working for their goal, to get the link into the search engines, but
since it is rising perhaps it works..anyway, just to let you know.

//drew

2011/2/6 drew <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 13:47 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:

>> > Manuel, do you know of any goot Captcha software and other measurements to
>> > protect from spamming? Seems we're suffering from spam, although e-mail
>> > verification is mandatory before editing pages.
>> >
>> I remember that wiki.services.openoffice.org also got it's Captcha
>> last year when the spam got to mouch.
>> Maybe we can look over there and see what Clayton installed.
>> It did not solve the problem to zero but to a manageable number.
>>

> One more piece of information here - there is a new trend i spam, it is
> showing up on lots of forums and I believe in this case wikis also and
> that is to only register an account with the service (forum/wik) when
> the profile for that service allows a URL for your personal website, and
> then to start using Twitter to point to your personal profile page on
> that site - this one is a real pain and OOoForum for instance has been
> hit hard by it.
>
> It is fairly new, last couple of years, and I don't really know how it
> is working for their goal, to get the link into the search engines, but
> since it is rising perhaps it works..anyway, just to let you know.

I made a dig in my mailarchive and found at that at OOo reCaptcha is
used in combination with a Bad-behaviour-script
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Bad_Behavior

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

drewjensen drewjensen

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 14:13 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:
> I made a dig in my mailarchive and found at that at OOo reCaptcha is
> used in combination with a Bad-behaviour-script
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Bad_Behavior

Excellent - I was just abut to send an email to Clayton to ask.

I agree with Sophie that these Captcha can be a pain, but unfortunately
there is really no way around it, if you leave any door or window
unguarded they seem to find it. They are like rats, if they can squeeze
their snouts into a crack they can pull the rest of their body in.

Best wishes,

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Gukk_Devel Gukk_Devel

Am 06.02.2011 14:28, schrieb drew:
> On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 14:13 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:
>> I made a dig in my mailarchive and found at that at OOo reCaptcha is
>> used in combination with a Bad-behaviour-script
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Bad_Behavior
> Excellent - I was just abut to send an email to Clayton to ask.
>
> I agree with Sophie that these Captcha can be a pain, but unfortunately
> there is really no way around it,
for this, we should *explain* this on the page with the captch if
possible, to show people we are interested in their support/backup but
we need to save us from spam. then everyone could accept it.

Karl-Heinz

Manuel Schneider Manuel Schneider

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

We've been using reCaptcha in the past, it works fine.

/Manuel

Am 06.02.2011 13:24, schrieb Florian Effenberger:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-06 13.16:
>> reCaptcha has good accessibility access as it also allows for the
>> generated passcode to be read aloud via audio.
>> http://www.google.com/recaptcha
>>
>> Does anyone have any issue with implementing reCaptcha?
>
> Manuel, do you know of any goot Captcha software and other measurements
> to protect from spamming? Seems we're suffering from spam, although
> e-mail verification is mandatory before editing pages.
>
> Thanks,
> Florian

Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Can you install it? :-)

Manuel Schneider wrote on 2011-02-06 15.08:
> We've been using reCaptcha in the past, it works fine.

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Manuel Schneider Manuel Schneider

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Not right now, my computer just died so I don't have my SSH private key
at hand.

Am 06.02.2011 15:08, schrieb Florian Effenberger:
> Can you install it? :-)
>
> Manuel Schneider wrote on 2011-02-06 15.08:
>> We've been using reCaptcha in the past, it works fine.

Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Just do when you find time ;)

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Manuel Schneider Manuel Schneider

Re: CAPTCHA to subscribe to the wiki?

Ok, I have restored my SSH key and got the login details from Flo, so I
did some checks.

User:Peacfata was NOT emailconfirmed!

I have removed all the ConfirmEdit stuff from the configuration (an
extension I have actually never seen in action before) and have instead
put quite simple user privilege settings in place of which I know that
they are working.

Let's test these first before installing a captcha.

As said we have been using reCaptcha before, but as far as I am
concerned we have removed it from all our wikis a few years ago and we
felt no need for it to come back yet.

/Manuel

Am 06.02.2011 15:12, schrieb Florian Effenberger:
> Just do when you find time ;)
>
> Manuel Schneider wrote on 2011-02-06 15.11:
>> Not right now, my computer just died so I don't have my SSH private key
>> at hand.

Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Nino Nino

On Sunday 06 February 2011 15:08, Manuel Schneider wrote:
> We've been using reCaptcha in the past, it works fine.

Please keep in mind that the Captcha should be installed only at user
registration level, not for every single edit.

(Sorry if this has been discussed already, I didn't read the archives.)

Nino

Next » 12