CG7001-Introduction Reviewed and in Feedback NextCloud

Kevin Berry Kevin Berry

CG7001-Introduction Reviewed and in Feedback NextCloud

I have finished the first review of CG7001-Introduction-SF-GB-30Jul2020,
and it is in the Feedback folder now.

Gordon Bates
[hidden email]
github.com/jdoes

Kevin Berry Kevin Berry

Re: CG7001-Introduction Reviewed and in Feedback NextCloud

I also changed the date formatting of the Return Date columns H and J, in
Guide Staus CG.ods, so that the date formatting matches the date format in
the file names, and the date formatting in columns D and E.

Gordon Bates
[hidden email]
github.com/jdoes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 2:39 PM Kevin Berry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have finished the first review of CG7001-Introduction-SF-GB-30Jul2020,
> and it is in the Feedback folder now.
>
> Gordon Bates
> [hidden email]
> github.com/jdoes

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re: CG7001-Introduction Reviewed and in Feedback NextCloud

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for your thorough first review of this chapter. I'm a little
embarrassed that I didn't spot the erroneous description of the
characters that can be used in sheet names!

I have processed all comments and the chapter is now back in the Draft
folder with no tracked changes, ready for second review.

A few matters arising from your queries and suggestions:
With regards to adding the URL of the Getting Started Guide. As far as
I’m aware we don’t tend to include cross-links like this in any of the
guides. Bear in mind that Calc Guide, Chapter 0 includes a link to the
English Documentation page of the LO website, where copies of all the
guides can be found. If we include the URL for the Getting Started Guide
in this chapter then we’d have to be consistent and include URLs in any
of the chapters that reference other guides. There’s a lot of these
references and I don’t think it would be advantageous to introduce this
extra clutter.
With regards to the differences between the Save As dialog on Windows,
Linux and macOS. I don’t think we need to expand on this because Chapter
0 states that there will be some differences - “Therefore, some
illustrations will not look exactly like what you see on your computer
display”.
With regards to providing other links about regular expressions. I think
we have now expanded this topic so that it is covered adequately in the
guide. For me, the purpose of our guides is not to provide exhaustive
sets of links to other sites. I don’t think it’s a copyright issue but
we do need to be aware that providing a link can be interpreted as
somehow implying a recommendation. I hope we’ve now provided enough
information for our users to get started with regex and hence don’t see
the need for providing additional links; those interested can probably
discover 100s of links via Google. This is covered by the existing text
“There are numerous websites that include examples of regular
expressions and these provide an endless source of inspiration and ideas
to help improve your data analysis skills”.
With regards to your idea about embedding spreadsheets in the Writer
file for this chapter. In principle of course this is possible but
wouldn’t be very helpful for anybody using a printed copy of the guide!
And I’m not certain how useful it would be in PDF versions of the
document. But beyond that, I am against the idea because of the work
involved in doing it consistently. The examples you’ve cited happen to
be in an area of new text, written for this update. However throughout
that Calc Guide there are many spreadsheets and spreadsheet fragments; I
don’t think it is a worthwhile investment of our time to go through all
chapters replacing relevant images with embedded spreadsheets, for very
little gain. I also feel that the associated explanatory text (“Double
click on the first box below, highlight, copy, and paste into your own
spreadsheet to follow the example”) is unnecessary clutter because it
isn’t hard to follow the examples just by reading what’s already
written. I understand that some readers might like to try it themselves
but we’re writing a guide, not a workbook.

Regards,

Steve

>I have finished the first review of CG7001-Introduction-SF-GB-30Jul2020,
>and it is in the Feedback folder now.
>
>Gordon Bates
>[hidden email]
>github.com/jdoes

Kevin Berry Kevin Berry

Re: CG7001-Introduction Reviewed and in Feedback NextCloud

Okay, all very good points. Im still new to this, so thank you for the in
depth remarks regarding the changes that I suggested.

Gordon Bates
[hidden email]
github.com/jdoes

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:42 AM Steve (GMail) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> document. But beyond that, I am against the idea because of the work
> involved in doing it consistently. The examples you’ve cited happen to
> be in an area of new text, written for this update. However throughout
> that Calc Guide there are many spreadsheets and spreadsheet fragments; I
> don’t think it is a worthwhile investment of our time to go through all
> chapters replacing relevant images with embedded spreadsheets, for very
> little gain. I also feel that the associated explanatory text (“Double
> click on the first box below, highlight, copy, and paste into your own
> spreadsheet to follow the example”) is unnecessary clutter because it
> isn’t hard to follow the examples just by reading what’s already
> written. I understand that some readers might like to try it themselves
> but we’re writing a guide, not a workbook.

Leo Moons-3 Leo Moons-3

Re: CG7001-Introduction Reviewed and in Feedback NextCloud

Hej Steve,

When reviewing the whole book of Calc Guide 6.4, I had some general
remarks about the figures but due to time constraint I did not pass them
on as it could have delayed the guide too much, but now I would like to
comment as follows:
- the figures have sometimes no border, a green border, a blue border, a
black or grey border. I think we should look for consistency for a nicer
appearance.
- sometimes the text in the screenshot cannot be read as texts are too
small; this can be because the figure is too small and can be enlarged
(beware of the resolution) or the object is too big and does not fit on
a page and therefore the screenshot is made smaller. One could consider
in splitting the picture or partly removing unnecessary parts.

Keep up the good work and we will be happy to translate it! FYI 13
chapters of the Calc Guide 6.4 have already been published in Dutch!

Leo
Awarded with an Open Badge for translating LibreOffice by The Document
Foundation

Op 1/08/2020 om 11:41 schreef Steve (GMail):

> [...]
> the document. But beyond that, I am against the idea because of the
> work involved in doing it consistently. The examples you’ve cited
> happen to be in an area of new text, written for this update. However
> throughout that Calc Guide there are many spreadsheets and spreadsheet
> fragments; I don’t think it is a worthwhile investment of our time to
> go through all chapters replacing relevant images with embedded
> spreadsheets, for very little gain. I also feel that the associated
> explanatory text (“Double click on the first box below, highlight,
> copy, and paste into your own spreadsheet to follow the example”) is
> unnecessary clutter because it isn’t hard to follow the examples just
> by reading what’s already written. I understand that some readers
> might like to try it themselves but we’re writing a guide, not a

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re[2]: [libreoffice-documentation] CG7001-Introduction Reviewed and in Feedback NextCloud

Hi Leo,

Congratulations on your much-deserved badge and thanks for the thoughts
below.

I am already trying to improve many of the figures as I go through the
document. However, the objective of "look and feel" consistency is nice
to have but difficult to achieve in a multi-author environment, when all
the authors are using different computer configurations. I do not have
an objective of achieving that level of consistency across the whole
Calc Guide - it would be too difficult to attain and then maintain. And,
in my view, it's unnecessary.

If you, or anybody else, can give me specific examples of unreadable
text on figures in the Calc Guide, then I'll be happy to try and fix
those.