CMS for authors around ODF

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CMS for authors around ODF

Hi,

I'm currently setting up  a new environment (CMS) for the authors-team, that work on
the user guides for OOo and LO. They use currently Plone 3.3.x and I'll update it to
Plone 4.0.x. The new environment will run on a resource of the Document Foundation. I
hope to finish the customization of the new environment (and the move of the content
of the current Plone instance) up to the middle of the next month.

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## Freie Office-Suite für Linux, Mac, Windows
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Support the Document Foundation (http://documentfoundation.org)
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de 

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

sophi sophi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CMS for authors around ODF

Hi Andreas,
On 26/12/2010 20:02, Andreas Mantke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently setting up  a new environment (CMS) for the authors-team, that work on
> the user guides for OOo and LO. They use currently Plone 3.3.x and I'll update it to
> Plone 4.0.x. The new environment will run on a resource of the Document Foundation. I
> hope to finish the customization of the new environment (and the move of the content
> of the current Plone instance) up to the middle of the next month.

Thanks for your work, I've followed the discussion on the list, it's a
good decision.

kind regards
Sophie

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CMS for authors around ODF

In reply to this post by Andreas Mantke
Hi Andreas, :-)

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 01:02, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm currently setting up  a new environment (CMS) for the authors-team, that work on
> the user guides for OOo and LO. They use currently Plone 3.3.x and I'll update it to
> Plone 4.0.x. The new environment will run on a resource of the Document Foundation. I
> hope to finish the customization of the new environment (and the move of the content
> of the current Plone instance) up to the middle of the next month.

That's a good initiative, and certainly one of the options that the
LibreOffice documentation team can consider, along with other options.

For my part, I've set-up an Alfresco web at
https://documentation.traduction.biz, and I'll be proposing this to
the docs team for evaluation and testing. I'll be making an
announcement about that within 24 hours.

I'm hoping that it will be administered by Ron Faile and - if she's
willing to take part in this experiment - Jean Weber. I'll be getting
more involved in it after January 10 2011, because I'm currently busy
on re-theming the libreoffice.org website and further developing the
content there, and will be presenting the site to the SC on that date.

If, after this evaluation, it happens that Alfresco is seen as a
useful working tool for the LibreOffice docs team, I'll be asking
Florian and Christian if they can give us an Alfresco web on the
TDF/Ooodev De server, because LibreOffice working resources should
ideally be hosted and operated on TDF-run infrastructure.

So it will be interesting to compare the two options side by side and
see which is seen as a preferred working platform.

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CMS for authors around ODF

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andreas, :-)
>
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 01:02, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm currently setting up  a new environment (CMS) for the authors-team, that work on
>> the user guides for OOo and LO. They use currently Plone 3.3.x and I'll update it to
>> Plone 4.0.x. The new environment will run on a resource of the Document Foundation. I
>> hope to finish the customization of the new environment (and the move of the content
>> of the current Plone instance) up to the middle of the next month.
>
> That's a good initiative, and certainly one of the options that the
> LibreOffice documentation team can consider, along with other options.
>
> For my part, I've set-up an Alfresco web at
> https://documentation.traduction.biz, and I'll be proposing this to
> the docs team for evaluation and testing. I'll be making an
> announcement about that within 24 hours.
>
> I'm hoping that it will be administered by Ron Faile and - if she's
> willing to take part in this experiment - Jean Weber. I'll be getting
> more involved in it after January 10 2011, because I'm currently busy
> on re-theming the libreoffice.org website and further developing the
> content there, and will be presenting the site to the SC on that date.
>
> If, after this evaluation, it happens that Alfresco is seen as a
> useful working tool for the LibreOffice docs team, I'll be asking
> Florian and Christian if they can give us an Alfresco web on the
> TDF/Ooodev De server, because LibreOffice working resources should
> ideally be hosted and operated on TDF-run infrastructure.
>
> So it will be interesting to compare the two options side by side and
> see which is seen as a preferred working platform.
>
> David Nelson

I think I missed the conversation about having a Plone trial, can
someone point me to that conversation.
I have heard great things about Plone, very powerful and fast content
management framework, but as I understand it there is a lot of custom
coding involved.

Did the original conversation about Plone discuss how we would
implement the workflow?
Having the discussions with Jean early on regarding the
infrastructure, I was under the understanding that the instance of
Plone setup on OOoAuthors did not have a structured workflow, but
rather folders with permissions.
The discussions we have had so far is pointing towards structured
cross-language collaboration, so as we have discussed previously, the
tooling should meet the workflow needs rather than the other way
around.

I am very keen to see Alfresco up and running, as we have discussed a
few times. The Alfresco framework ties in very well with Drupal and
together they provide an incredibly powerful document management
system. I think someone pointed out the limitation of cross-language
collaboration (I might be wrong here, I have not personally had
experience with Alfresco in a multi-language environment).

Also, might I suggest that we refrain from using the TDF servers as a
testing ground as this may lead to a misconception that we have
decided on using the tool for the documentation workflow. The
intermediate workflow, on the wiki, as discussed seems to be working
quite well at the moment, albeit without permissions.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
eskroni eskroni
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CMS for authors around ODF

Hi Michael, all,

2010/12/27 Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Andreas, :-)
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 01:02, Andreas Mantke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm currently setting up  a new environment (CMS) for the authors-team, that work on
>>> the user guides for OOo and LO. They use currently Plone 3.3.x and I'll update it to
>>> Plone 4.0.x. The new environment will run on a resource of the Document Foundation. I
>>> hope to finish the customization of the new environment (and the move of the content
>>> of the current Plone instance) up to the middle of the next month.
[...]

> I think I missed the conversation about having a Plone trial, can
> someone point me to that conversation.
> I have heard great things about Plone, very powerful and fast content
> management framework, but as I understand it there is a lot of custom
> coding involved.
>
> Did the original conversation about Plone discuss how we would
> implement the workflow?
> Having the discussions with Jean early on regarding the
> infrastructure, I was under the understanding that the instance of
> Plone setup on OOoAuthors did not have a structured workflow, but
> rather folders with permissions.
> The discussions we have had so far is pointing towards structured
> cross-language collaboration, so as we have discussed previously, the
> tooling should meet the workflow needs rather than the other way
> around.
>
> I am very keen to see Alfresco up and running, as we have discussed a
> few times. The Alfresco framework ties in very well with Drupal and
> together they provide an incredibly powerful document management
> system. I think someone pointed out the limitation of cross-language
> collaboration (I might be wrong here, I have not personally had
> experience with Alfresco in a multi-language environment).
>
> Also, might I suggest that we refrain from using the TDF servers as a
> testing ground as this may lead to a misconception that we have
> decided on using the tool for the documentation workflow. The
> intermediate workflow, on the wiki, as discussed seems to be working
> quite well at the moment, albeit without permissions.

The installation of Plone has nothing to do with what we choose for
the documentation of LibO. OOoAuthors has accepted the offer from TDF
to move to the TDF server. So this does not mean, that any decision
about the tools we use is already made.

We're free to use the tool we think is best.

Sigrid

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Jean Weber Jean Weber
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CMS for authors around ODF

In reply to this post by Wheatbix
On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 12:23 +0930, Michael Wheatland wrote:
>
> I think I missed the conversation about having a Plone trial, can
> someone point me to that conversation.

The site that Andreas is setting up is the replacement website for
OOoAuthors, under a new name, ODFAuthors. It will have its own domain
name, ODFAuthors.org (also ODFAuthors.com).

ODFAuthors will continue to be an independent group, not part of TDF or
part of OOo. We will continue to provide documentation for OOo.

The ODFAuthors website will be available for the use of people writing
documentation for LibO as well as people writing documentation for OOo,
if the LibO group choose to use the site. If the LibO group choose to
use Alfresco, or any other facility that is directly a part of the
TDF/LibO website, that's fine too.

The group that owns the server on which TDF runs is OOoDeV, a German
organisation. They have kindly offered space on their server for
ODFAuthors.

Andreas' earlier note to this list may have inadvertently given a
different impression.

--Jean


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CMS for authors around ODF

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Jean Hollis Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 12:23 +0930, Michael Wheatland wrote:
>>
>> I think I missed the conversation about having a Plone trial, can
>> someone point me to that conversation.
>
> The site that Andreas is setting up is the replacement website for
> OOoAuthors, under a new name, ODFAuthors. It will have its own domain
> name, ODFAuthors.org (also ODFAuthors.com).
>
> ODFAuthors will continue to be an independent group, not part of TDF or
> part of OOo. We will continue to provide documentation for OOo.
>
> The ODFAuthors website will be available for the use of people writing
> documentation for LibO as well as people writing documentation for OOo,
> if the LibO group choose to use the site. If the LibO group choose to
> use Alfresco, or any other facility that is directly a part of the
> TDF/LibO website, that's fine too.
>
> The group that owns the server on which TDF runs is OOoDeV, a German
> organisation. They have kindly offered space on their server for
> ODFAuthors.
>
> Andreas' earlier note to this list may have inadvertently given a
> different impression.
>
> --Jean


Thanks for the clarification Jean and Sigrid
It is great that different parts of the community are welcoming
LibreOffice into the fold.

I might setup a Plone instance for myself to start testing the
capabilities to implement a workflow and international collaboration
system that is being discussed at the moment.

One big question which this raises, Now that OOoAuthors will moved to
ODFAuthors, we need to revisit the decision made months ago not to use
OOoAuthors as the primary documentation development platform.

Again, this is great news.

Thanks,

Michael Wheatland

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***