CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Next » 123
H K H K

CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Good day,

I have tried to register but without success.  I am trying to find assistance with the conversion of a Microsoft Global Template (Normal.dot) to be used with LibreOffice Writer as the Global template.

The template was 'created' for me for ofice convention service writing and I am alos using it in my day to day activities away from the office.  I am trying to move away from the Mircrosoft platform and environment, therefore the assistance.

I have tried the wizard in LibreOffice, however for some reason I cannot get it to function.  I receive a warning that macros might harm the system if allowed.  However, irrespective, cannot use it.  Not sure where I am going wrong.

Within Microsoft it can be added as a banner and one only click on the required numbering and thereafter tab, etc to make full use of the functionality.  It was designed for Office 97 to 2000 and only works on certain computers with Office 2007/2010 as a plug-in.

However, as indicated, I want to move away from Microsoft, my entire system has been setup with only FOSS/OSS, but the template would make life much easier if I can get it to work.  I am not skilled in the 'Macro/template' environment although I do understand some of the coding (limited).

Is there anyone that can assisit me in this regard.

Kind Regards.

Herman

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

       MSFT has been/is making their system(s) incompatible with others in
order to reap a higher profit-margin  ;-(

       Therefore switching away from MSFT is a great way to - possibly -
show them the errors of their ways  ;-)

       Now, if you could explain just what you're attempting to do, maybe
someone on this list will be able to help -
             the LO writer program does whatever I would like - and more
than the MSFT version ...
             the LO ppt program as well - including its ability to convert
to video ...

                 [I need to see an example of what your attempting to do]

             as for the LO spreadsheet - many on this list seem to use this
feature;
                 [I do not]

       Hoping you'll be able to find an answer anon,

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

"anne-ology"
       MSFT has been/is making their system(s) incompatible with others in
order to reap a higher profit-margin  ;-(

For the last 23 years Microsoft Office has changed its format TWICE.
Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.

TomD TomD

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Hi :)
Not quite.  It may have changed the name of the formats it uses twice but
OOXML (the .docX etc) has at least 4 different versions including 3
different "transitional" versions and all are apparently quite different
from the version they managed to get accredited as an ISO format.

The older format (.doc etc) also seem to vary considerably between each
different version of MS Office.

MS Office 2010 or 2013 often has problems opening documents created in MS
Office 2007.

On 22 April 2014 19:06, Urmas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "anne-ology"       MSFT has been/is making their system(s) incompatible
> with others in
>
> order to reap a higher profit-margin  ;-(
>
> For the last 23 years Microsoft Office has changed its format TWICE.
> Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

       not true;
           I can open anything with LO which was created initially with OO;
           yet MSFT has come up with a new version nearly every year -
almost incompatible with the previous version;
               if I use MSFT Office 2003 to make a document those with
these latest versions cannot open it.

TomD TomD

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

It should be possible to just double-click on the Normal.doc to open it.

However, it is probably full of junk by now = such as tons of extraneous
coding and odd references to stuff that is long gone and maybe your address
and other people's names and systems that the template has been used on.
Try opening it with a text editor to see what's in there!!

So, i think you are over-complicating it.  Just double-click to open it and
then do;
File - "Save As Template"
to convert it (and all the messy coding it contains) into a LibreOffice
Template.

Although it might be a bit messy right now it's probably still usable.  At
some point it might be nice to start afresh but possibly not until you have
time.

italovignoli italovignoli

On 22/04/2014 20:06, Urmas wrote:

> For the last 23 years Microsoft Office has changed its format TWICE.
> Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.

Microsoft has slightly changed the file format for each new release,
although it has never changed the extension. Are you paid by Microsoft?
Only someone paid by Microsoft could say such an incredible lie. This is
not the first time that you say something which is clearly biased in the
typical Microsoft way (i.e. total FUD). I do not think that you are
adding any value here, and IMHO you should be banned from the community
as you are not welcome at all.

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob IT +39.348.5653829 - mob EU +39.392.7481795

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
James Knott James Knott

Urmas wrote:
> Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.

Yeah, that really a problem, especially since LO didn't exist back then.

TomD TomD

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Hi :)
Nice answer! :)))  I think top-marks to James.  My answer was too ponderous
and boring.

Of course i think Star Office and maybe even OpenOffice were around back
then so in a way LibreOffice was, but just not under the same name.  (kinda
the opposite of MS formats as it happens!)

On 22 April 2014 21:03, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Urmas wrote:
> > Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.
>
> Yeah, that really a problem, especially since LO didn't exist back then.

pete nikolic pete nikolic

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:06:14 +0700
"Urmas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "anne-ology"
>        MSFT has been/is making their system(s) incompatible with others in
> order to reap a higher profit-margin  ;-(
>
> For the last 23 years Microsoft Office has changed its format TWICE.
> Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.

You again

Darn  M$ Corp shill    talking trash as per usual .

pete

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.14.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 14 20:40:47 CEST 2014 x86_64
GNU/Linux

pete nikolic pete nikolic

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:03:50 -0400
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Urmas wrote:
> > Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.
>
> Yeah, that really a problem, especially since LO didn't exist back then.

+1

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.14.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 14 20:40:47 CEST 2014 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

"James Knott":

> Yeah, that really a problem, especially since LO didn't exist back then.

It was called StarOffice back then.

TomD TomD

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Hey,
Easy tigers!  Remember this is meant to be a family-friendly environment!
Not that i've ever met a friendly family and kids these days seem to know
more about swearing than the adults but lets pretend they don't know 'em
and just avoid teaching them any new ones!
Regards from
Tom ;)

On 22 April 2014 22:04, pete nikolic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:03:50 -0400
> James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Urmas wrote:
> > > Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.
> >
> > Yeah, that really a problem, especially since LO didn't exist back then.
> >

> +1
>
> Pete .
>

> --
> Linux 7-of-9 3.14.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 14 20:40:47 CEST 2014
> x86_64
> GNU/Linux

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

       I do NOT appreciate being mis-quoted;
           I was responding to that Urmas who made the inane MSFT comments.

       If you were to read the whole  bit, ... ... ...
           but I guess that goes against common sense  :-(

       Out of the 2 sentences below, the first is part of my initial
response to the initial questioner;
            the second is part of the response by that Urmas.

From: pete nikolic <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE
USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE
To: [hidden email]

TomD TomD

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Hi :)
I think we have all experienced that sort of thing.

This mailing list is meant for sharing ideas and building up answers.  it's
not made to be precise about who came up with posts.

The thing was certainly said but it's difficult to know who said it except
for 2 facts;
1.  we know what you are like and also what Urmas is like, at least on
these lists.
2.  we can go back to the original posts or read them through Nabble

So how could anyone think you said such a thing?!? ;))

On 22 April 2014 23:53, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

>        I do NOT appreciate being mis-quoted;
>            I was responding to that Urmas who made the inane MSFT comments.
>
>        If you were to read the whole  bit, ... ... ...
>            but I guess that goes against common sense  :-(
>
>        Out of the 2 sentences below, the first is part of my initial
> response to the initial questioner;
>             the second is part of the response by that Urmas.
>

> From: pete nikolic <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE
> USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE
> To: [hidden email]
>

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:06:14 +0700
> "Urmas" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > "anne-ology"
> >        MSFT has been/is making their system(s) incompatible with others
> in
> > order to reap a higher profit-margin  ;-(
> >

> > For the last 23 years Microsoft Office has changed its format TWICE.
> > Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.
> >

> You again
>
> Darn  M$ Corp shill    talking trash as per usual .
>

> pete

timllloyd timllloyd

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Sort of getting off topic here :)

My understanding is that Herman has a template created for MS Word. He
wants to use this template in LO and therefore needs to convert it into
the format LO uses.

>>>It was designed for Office 97 to 2000 and only works on certain computers with Office 2007/2010 as a plug-in.

Firstly can MS Word template be converted to an LO format? Does Herman
have to start from scratch?

Cheers

TomD TomD

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Hi :)
Yes, to both the last 2 questions.

I'm fairly sure you can just double-click on a .dot to open it in
LibreOffice and then
File - "Save as Template"

However it is likely to be a good idea to start afresh and create a new
template using .ott from the start.  MS formats tend to be riddled with
strange code and other junk and that has probably been added to over the
years as the template has been used in many different versions of MSO.

H K H K

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Good day,

Thank you for your reply.  I have copied the Microsoft Word Normal.dot file into my Home Folder/Documents (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS).  Open LibreOffice Writer 3.5.7.2 and followed the follwoing steps:

File > Wizards > Document Converter > Microsoft Office > Word Documents > Next > Word Templates (Did not select include sub directories).  Changed the Import to the correct location: /home/herman/Documents.

The save to I have left unchanged:  /home/herman/.config/libreoffice/3/user/template/Imported_Templates

I have unselect Documents. > Next , I then receive a message tahat indicates that the  /home/herman/.config/libreoffice/3/user/template/Imported_Templates directory does not exisit and if I would like to create it > Yes

The following message is received:

All Word templates contained in the following directory will be imported:
/home/iss/Documents
All subdirectories will be taken into account
These will be exported to the following directory:
/home/herman/.config/libreoffice/3/user/template/Imported_Templates

> Convert

Documents converted and the following log file is generated:

Word templates
Source documents
Target documents
Normal.dot Normal.ott
Document macro has to be revised.

When verifying under > Files > Templates > Organise > Imported templates the template is vissible Clax Template CSW Version 3.0 Off97 (Final Edition)

Within MS Office, this template is available under > View > Toolbars and when selected it adds it as a Toolbar, however in Office Writer I cannot find it here.

I have tried running a Macro > Tools > Macros > Run Macro but the requires to install Java runtime, which I did, but still cannot find my template to execute.

I have tried > File > New > Templates and Documents > Selected the converted Template (Clax Template CSW Version 3.0 Off97 (Final Edition)) and then Receive a warning that Macros could contain viruses.  I accept but the Template still does not work as it should.

Attached the template.  It works well with Microsoft Office up to verion 2003 but in some cases with Office 2007/2010 as a plug-in id does not function.

Hope my explanations help.

Kind regards.

Herman

Hi :)

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 22:32 22/04/2014 -0700, Herman Konly wrote:
>Documents converted and the following log file is generated:
>[...]
>Normal.dot Normal.ott
>Document macro has to be revised.

That's probably the best you can do without editing your template
further yourself - in particular its contained macro(s).

>Within MS Office, this template is available under > View > Toolbars
>and when selected it adds it as a Toolbar, however in Office Writer
>I cannot find it here.

There is - at least, potentially - a New Document From Template
button in the Standard toolbar. If you don't see it, click the
down-arrow at the right end of this toolbar and select Visible
Buttons > | New Document From Template. It should stick.

Alternative ways to get at a template are:
o File | New > | Templates and Documents (as you mention)
o Down-arrow next to the New button in the Standard toolbar |
Templates and Documents
o Templates... from the start screen
o Set your template as the default and then just open a new text document
o (If you are using Windows) Right-click the Quickstarter icon in the
System Tray | From Template...

>I have tried running a Macro > Tools > Macros > Run Macro but the
>requires to install Java runtime, which I did, but still cannot find
>my template to execute.

No: your template is not a macro, though it apparently contains macros.

>Attached the template.

Attached files are generally not distributed by the list processor,
so no-one except the two explicit addressees of your message will
have seen this.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Le 22/04/2014 20:06, Urmas a écrit :

> Meanwhile, Libreoffice cannot open its own documents from 2001.

Urmas, you are right.

Yes, I too, remember a guarantee made by the LibreOffice project on its
inception to "future-proof" one's data against arbitrary changes in file
format or vendor support...funny how the wheel turns isn't it ?

The dev working on LO didn't like the StarOffice binary filter code, so
they got rid of it, simple as that - they certainly didn't care whether
people who had started using the "original" product, the one that gave
birth both to OOo and LO, over 10 years ago would still want that file
format supported - "data guarantee" I hear you say ? Bah, humbug.
Clearly a case of :"if you're not working on the codebase, we're not
listening to you, lalalala, sticks fingers in ears..."

There was nothing seriously broken about the binary filter code used to
support those binary sd* file types, but it was a hefty chunk of code to
get rid of from the code base, and met the goal of reducing "code clutter".

Then the LO project had the gall to sign itself up to some document
format project that will claim to support all those old document
formats...hahaha, the irony of it all...

In many respects, some open source projects are no better than closed
source ones where their management and communication is concerned. Inept
is inept, spin is spin, marketing is marketing - beauty is in the eye of
the holder, so to speak.

Well, thank you for listening to my little rant for today, I'll crawl
back under that rock I call LibreOffice QA, ROFLMAO.

Alex

Next » 123