CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

123 « Prev
James Knott James Knott

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Tom Davies wrote:
> Also it is still easily possible to get older versions of software that can
> read it and convert.

So, what's the latest version of LibreOffice or OpenOffice that will
read those formats?  If needed, they could be used to save those old
files in a newer format.

Sigrid Carrera Sigrid Carrera

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Hi James,

On 26 April 2014 21:36, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom Davies wrote:
> > Also it is still easily possible to get older versions of software that
> can
> > read it and convert.
>
> So, what's the latest version of LibreOffice or OpenOffice that will
> read those formats?  If needed, they could be used to save those old
> files in a newer format.

The latest version of LibreOffice that can read those old formats is
version 3.6.x
Go for the very latest version of this branch.

Alternatively, I believe that AOO still has support for those legacy
formats in their current version.

HTH,

Sigrid

pete nikolic pete nikolic

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:12:58 +0700
"Urmas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "James Knott":
>
> >  IIRC, the formats that are no longer supported
> are the ancient StarOffice ones.
>
> StarOffice 5.2 was released in 1998. If that is 'ancient' for you, you are
> an idiot that should be kept out from developing office software.

Its the MS schill.

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.14.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 14 20:40:47 CEST 2014 x86_64
GNU/Linux

italovignoli italovignoli

On 26/04/14 17:12, Urmas wrote:

> StarOffice 5.2 was released in 1998. If that is 'ancient' for you, you
> are an idiot that should be kept out from developing office software.

Insulting other mailing list subscribers is absolutely unacceptable, not
only because it is against the Netiquette but also because it is against
the principles of our community.

If you do not share these principles (and your messages show that you do
not share them) you should be wise enough to leave the mailing list and
the community on you own.

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob IT +39.348.5653829 - mob EU +39.392.7481795

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
TomD TomD

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

Hi :)
+1
It would be great if this mailing list could be a "family friendly" place.
 It is not always easy to come up with dignified responses that deals with
FUD in a witty and humorous way but doing so might make this list a more
friendly place to be.  Please can we just try to "rise above it" instead of
letting anger control us?  I will try to be better myself too.

On 27 April 2014 10:36, Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/04/14 17:12, Urmas wrote:
>
> > StarOffice 5.2 was released in 1998. If that is 'ancient' for you, you
> > are an idiot that should be kept out from developing office software.
>
> Insulting other mailing list subscribers is absolutely unacceptable, not
> only because it is against the Netiquette but also because it is against
> the principles of our community.
>
> If you do not share these principles (and your messages show that you do
> not share them) you should be wise enough to leave the mailing list and
> the community on you own.
>
> --
> Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
> mob IT +39.348.5653829 - mob EU +39.392.7481795
> sip [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
> GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
> DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0

Urmas D. Urmas D.

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

"Toki":

> What you are missing is that there are file layout differences between
the various editions of the same version of MSO.

All those differences are hierarchic. You can read all the files of earlier
version and have a way to ignore unsupported elements from the higher
version.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On April 27, 2014 4:18:55 AM PDT, Urmas > wrote:

>> What you are missing is that there are file layout differences between the various editions of the same version of MSO.

>All those differences are hierarchic.

That  does not negate the differences in the file format of the various editions of the same version.

> You can read all the files of earlier version and have a way to ignore unsupported elements from the higher versions.

Only if file incompatibility is acceptable to the user. Something that is apparently more true of MO users than ODF users.

--
Your documents, your language, your way.

pete nikolic pete nikolic

Re: CONVERTING A MICROSOFT TEMPLATE TO BE USED WITH LIBRE OFFICE

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:36:36 +0200
Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/04/14 17:12, Urmas wrote:
>
> > StarOffice 5.2 was released in 1998. If that is 'ancient' for you, you
> > are an idiot that should be kept out from developing office software.
>
> Insulting other mailing list subscribers is absolutely unacceptable, not
> only because it is against the Netiquette but also because it is against
> the principles of our community.
>
> If you do not share these principles (and your messages show that you do
> not share them) you should be wise enough to leave the mailing list and
> the community on you own.

+1

Pete