Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

zr1hpc zr1hpc

Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

Hi,

What I need help with is the formula to find any row from Data.$A$3 to
Data$A$1000 and after shortening the 8 digit date value to 6 digit
value, and having the same 6 digit value as Summary.$A4, forward ONLY
those rows onto the next part of the formula i.e. SUMIF.

I have a formula shown below but currently is showing me #VALUE! as my
result.

"=IF(INT(Data.$A$31:Data.$A$50/100)=Summary.$A4,SUMIF(Data.$F$31:Data.$F$50,"N",Data.$C$31:Data.$C$50))"

I have identified the problem where the INT value = Summary.$A4

What would the correct syntax be to have a criteria equal a specified
value as a criteria in a formula? I tried encasing "INT...=Summary.A4",
but no luck.

SUMIFS does not assist as the criteria to find, after INT shortening
must equal another value before the next step can be carried out.

Appreciate any help. Where should I upload a file Nabble, GDrive, other?

Regards
Hylton

mikey mikey

Re: Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

I'm not sure I follow your logic, but if your source range contains a list
of values that includes nulls, and non-numbers, you need to logically
exclude those from a math statement, or you get the 'VALUE' error (tried to
do math on a non-numeric cell.) ISBLANK, and ISNUMBER are functions that
provide the way around the VALUE.

If you're trying to make a list of values out of a column of values,
investigate CONCATENATE.  The problem with concatenate is that it doesn't
auto-insert separators and whitespace.  You'll either need to include a new
column with ", " in each row and concatenate 2 columns, or have the
appropriate whitespace in each cell.

If you only have a couple cells to concatenate, you can be precise with the
& operator.  that is [="Hello "&"there!"] allows multiple strings in a
single cell, and each string can be cell references or functions with
string or numeric output.  [="I've seen "&A5&", "&G3&" cells today."] is a
nice way to summarize your data in human readable form.

If you're trying to only pick a few values, investigate LOOKUP.  I'm an
excel refugee, (and used Lotus, and 8bit (GEOS) spreadsheets before that.)
LibreOffice version of LOOKUP is.... not very well done, but if you're
patient with it, it gets the job done.  I frequently have to insert dummy
rows containing null cells when I want 'exact match only', and libreoffice
can't deal with 'non-sorted' indexes, and they aren't clearly or obvious
what the sorting pattern should be, so it's best to sort your data within
LibreOffice before you use lookup.  (for lookups, a ==A or not, sometimes
NBSP == space, but sometimes not.  This affects matches, but also sorting..
and sort failures breaks many responses, not just one.  These sorting
issues are constant for a single edition of libreoffice, but seem to change
without any notice on updates.)

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

Hi,
I believe you had a similar (if not identical question) which you
posted back on September 27th (topic: IF doesn't respect AND - http://d
ocument-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/IF-doesn-t-
respect-AND-td4249584.html). At the time you had uploaded a file to
Google and I had offered a possible solution to your problem which had
worked in my environment. I am curious to know if you have tried it and
if it worked.
Rgds,
Rémy.
Le samedi 10 novembre 2018 à 08:16 -0600, Michael H a écrit :

> [...]
> > ONLY
> > those rows onto the next part of the formula i.e. SUMIF.
> >
> > I have a formula shown below but currently is showing me #VALUE! as
> > my
> > result.
> >

> > "=IF(INT(Data.$A$31:Data.$A$50/100)=Summary.$A4,SUMIF(Data.$F$31:Da
> > ta.$F$50,"N",Data.$C$31:Data.$C$50))"
> >
> > I have identified the problem where the INT value = Summary.$A4
> >
> > What would the correct syntax be to have a criteria equal a
> > specified
> > value as a criteria in a formula? I tried encasing
> > "INT...=Summary.A4",
> > but no luck.
> >
> > SUMIFS does not assist as the criteria to find, after INT
> > shortening
> > must equal another value before the next step can be carried out.
> >
> > Appreciate any help. Where should I upload a file Nabble, GDrive,

zr1hpc zr1hpc

Re: Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

My apologies Remy et al,

You are correct regarding the earlier post and despite the many
possibilities, this issue still plagues me.

Unfortunately my Internet has been down a week so hence the late reply.

I did try your proposed solution however on further investigation into
the formula used, you seemed to mis-understand the requirement, possibly
due to poor explanation. I was therefore unable to get it to work but
thank you for the effort.

My issue now is that whilst I have identified a formula that `works', I
need to get the right method of specifying that the INT value must be
EQUAL to a value on another sheet BEFORE advancing with the next formula
argument i.e.

IF an INT formula value of data, on EVERY cell in a column on Data
sheet, equals a cell from the Summary sheet, then sum the values located
in a corresponding column on the Data sheet, provided the value in
another column is either "N" or blank.

vlookup comes to mind as does IF, INT and AND but despite numerous tries
the syntax still gets in the way.

Regards
Hylton

On 2018/11/10 17:55, Remy Gauthier wrote:

> [...]
>>> my result.
>>> "=IF(INT(Data.$A$31:Data.$A$50/100)=Summary.$A4,SUMIF(Data.$F$31:Data.$F$50,"N",Data.$C$31:Data.$C$50))"
>>> I have identified the problem where the INT value = Summary.$A4 What
>>> would the correct syntax be to have a criteria equal a specified
>>> value as a criteria in a formula? I tried encasing
>>> "INT...=Summary.A4", but no luck. SUMIFS does not assist as the
>>> criteria to find, after INT shortening must equal another value
>>> before the next step can be carried out. Appreciate any help. Where
>>> should I upload a file Nabble, GDrive, other? Regards Hylton -- To
>>> unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]> Problems?
>>> guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>>> Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

Unclaimed_slips.ods
<http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t489793/Unclaimed_slips.ods>
I went back to the original post and downloaded the file you had uploaded to
Google Drive. I made what I think were the correct mods and the results on
the Summary sheet are consistent with what has been entered. I have attached
the modified file, so you should be able to download it and have a look (you
will probably need to access the post via the nabble site -
nabble.documentfoundation.org/). Once we know what is wrong with the
changes, it should be easier to provide information.

I hope this helps.

Rémy Gauthier.

zr1hpc zr1hpc

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

Hi Remy,

On 2018/11/13 01:22, remygauthier wrote:

> Hi,
> Unclaimed_slips.ods
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t489793/Unclaimed_slips.ods>
> I went back to the original post and downloaded the file you had uploaded to
> Google Drive. I made what I think were the correct mods and the results on
> the Summary sheet are consistent with what has been entered. I have attached
> the modified file, so you should be able to download it and have a look (you
> will probably need to access the post via the nabble site -
> nabble.documentfoundation.org/). Once we know what is wrong with the
> changes, it should be easier to provide information.
>
> I hope this helps.

I have reviewed your file on Nabble and after reviewing and inserting
the formula into the current file, am pleased to announce that the issue
is SOLVED! :)

THANKYOU

Looking at the formula
<=SUMIFS(Data.C$3:Data.C$1000,Data.$A$3:Data.$A$1000,CONCATENATE("=",$A3
,"*"),Data.$F$3:Data.$F$1000,CONCATENATE("<>","Y"))>, I see how the
Concatenate was used almost like an IF statement criteria, and could be
stated as 'CONCATENATE("=",Summary.$A3 ,"*")'. However I do not
understand the second CONCATENATE as I am looking for those with an "N"
i.e. ones that have not been reconciled yet the SUMIFS yields the
correct value?

Concatenate joins/amalgamates values from different cells or text i.e.
as a Linux command $>cat filename would display the contents of the
filename. My understanding is that a similar command of $>cat bee hive
would result in the word beehive being displayed.

In the formula you state to SUM values in Data.c3:Data.c1000 if date
value of column A equals a partial match of the actual Data column
holding the date AND where the value is blank or Y, despite you only
wanting to SUM the N values?

Basically the formula works and I am not complaining and very grateful
but I would like to better understand the formula, so that I can use it
in future.

I hope my explanation is sufficient.

Regards
Hylton

P.S.: To ALL owners of a Debit or Credit Card, establish a spreadsheet
using the above formula, enter your transactions on the Data tab,
reconcile them according to your bank statement and see what value of
goods you are getting for FREE as sometimes it pays to shop at certain
retailers, even if it is only occasional.

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Calc 6.0.6.2 IF criteria statement help

Hi,
To answer your question about the CONCATENATE("<>","Y"), I am looking
for something that is not explicitly marked as reconciled (not "Y").
This test will mark as not reconciled all entries having an "N" (or
anything else for that matter) and all blank entries (a blank cell
obviously not being equal to "Y"), which is a more robust test than
looking only for cells that are qual to "N".
For the rest, I think you have a good understanding of what the formula
is doing.
I hope this helps.
Rémy.
.Le jeudi 15 novembre 2018 à 21:35 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) a