Calc F2 cursor trail between brackets of function

Bruce Hohl Bruce Hohl

Calc F2 cursor trail between brackets of function

When in Calc while editing a formula (within the cell via F2) with
characters between brackets like: =SUMIFS*(*
$TB_data.C$8:C$32,$TB_data.D$8:D$32,A36*)* or =*(*A1+A2+A3*)*.

If the arrow keys are used to moved left and right, while moving past the
character within brackets a cursor trail is displayed like this:
  SUMIFS($|T|B|_|d|a|t|a|.|C|$|8|:|C|$|3|2|,|$|T|B|_|d|a|t|a|.|D|$|8|:|D|$|3|2|,|A|3|6).
The first use of F2 editing is OK but subsequent uses display this behavior.

When you get to the closing bracket the cursor trail disappears.  Or if you
minimize then restore the window the cursor trail disappears.

It seems to happen only within brackets, seems to be a failure to refresh
while within brackets, impacts Linux & Windows versions, and this display
error was not always present.  This behavior is described in bug 67787 from
2013-08-05.

I believe it may be related to the bracket matching (high lighting) feature
that was introduced a few years back.  Does anyone recall which version
added that feature or know anything about this feature?

I find this super annoying and would like to improve the bug report.  If
related to bracket matching I'd rather that be disabled versus a cursor
trail rendering F2 in cell editing useless. It also makes LO look
unpolished.

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: Calc F2 cursor trail between brackets of function

Bruce Hohl wrote:

> When in Calc while editing a formula (within the cell via F2) with
> characters between brackets like: =SUMIFS*(*
> $TB_data.C$8:C$32,$TB_data.D$8:D$32,A36*)* or =*(*A1+A2+A3*)*.
>
> If the arrow keys are used to moved left and right, while moving past the
> character within brackets a cursor trail is displayed like this:
>    SUMIFS($|T|B|_|d|a|t|a|.|C|$|8|:|C|$|3|2|,|$|T|B|_|d|a|t|a|.|D|$|8|:|D|$|3|2|,|A|3|6).
> The first use of F2 editing is OK but subsequent uses display this behavior.
>
> When you get to the closing bracket the cursor trail disappears.  Or if you
> minimize then restore the window the cursor trail disappears.
>
> It seems to happen only within brackets, seems to be a failure to refresh
> while within brackets, impacts Linux & Windows versions, and this display
> error was not always present.  This behavior is described in bug 67787 from
> 2013-08-05.
>
> I believe it may be related to the bracket matching (high lighting) feature
> that was introduced a few years back.  Does anyone recall which version
> added that feature or know anything about this feature?
>
> I find this super annoying and would like to improve the bug report.  If
> related to bracket matching I'd rather that be disabled versus a cursor
> trail rendering F2 in cell editing useless. It also makes LO look
> unpolished.

I wonder if this may be related to using OpenGL for rendering, which has
apparently been enabled by default from version 5.0.2 onwards. It should
be possible to disable via Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View. It may
need a restart of LibreOffice (including the Quickstarter if you use
that) to take effect.

If that resolves the problem, it's probably worth noting on the bug
report, along with the info about your graphics card as described at
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/OpenGL>. Some of these rendering
problems only occur with OpenGL, and only with certain graphics cards.

Mark.

Denis Navas Vega Denis Navas Vega

El 2016-03-15 a las 14:35, [hidden email] escribió:

> Bruce Hohl wrote:
>> When in Calc while editing a formula (within the cell via F2) with
>> characters between brackets like: =SUMIFS*(*
>> $TB_data.C$8:C$32,$TB_data.D$8:D$32,A36*)* or =*(*A1+A2+A3*)*.
>>
>> If the arrow keys are used to moved left and right, while moving past the
>> character within brackets a cursor trail is displayed like this:
>>
>> SUMIFS($|T|B|_|d|a|t|a|.|C|$|8|:|C|$|3|2|,|$|T|B|_|d|a|t|a|.|D|$|8|:|D|$|3|2|,|A|3|6).
>>
>> The first use of F2 editing is OK but subsequent uses display this
>> behavior.
>>
>> When you get to the closing bracket the cursor trail disappears.  Or
>> if you
>> minimize then restore the window the cursor trail disappears.
>>
>> It seems to happen only within brackets, seems to be a failure to refresh
>> while within brackets, impacts Linux & Windows versions, and this display
>> error was not always present.  This behavior is described in bug 67787
>> from
>> 2013-08-05.
>>
>> I believe it may be related to the bracket matching (high lighting)
>> feature
>> that was introduced a few years back.  Does anyone recall which version
>> added that feature or know anything about this feature?
>>
>> I find this super annoying and would like to improve the bug report.  If
>> related to bracket matching I'd rather that be disabled versus a cursor
>> trail rendering F2 in cell editing useless. It also makes LO look
>> unpolished.
>
> I wonder if this may be related to using OpenGL for rendering, which has
> apparently been enabled by default from version 5.0.2 onwards. It should
> be possible to disable via Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View. It may
> need a restart of LibreOffice (including the Quickstarter if you use
> that) to take effect.
>
> If that resolves the problem, it's probably worth noting on the bug
> report, along with the info about your graphics card as described at
> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/OpenGL>. Some of these rendering
> problems only occur with OpenGL, and only with certain graphics cards.
>
> Mark.

This problem hapen to me, before OpenGL was included in the option panel.

---

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: Calc F2 cursor trail between brackets of function

Canonical / Ubuntu might maintain a repository of patches applied to the
upstream version, or have the issue on their own bug tracker indicating
what the fix was. Otherwise I've no idea; perhaps someone else here
might know more.

Mark.