Calc Guide v7.0

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Calc Guide v7.0

Hi All,

I have started a detailed read through the chapters of the 6.4 Calc
Guide to identify the changes needed for 7.0.

The first two chapters (0 - Preface and 1 - Introduction) have been
updated and placed in the appropriate Draft folder within NextCloud.
Please could somebody find time to perform a first review of these
chapters?

Echoing Peter Schofield's comments in relation to the Impress Guide,
please do not waste time reviewing the front matter or the template used
for these chapters (other than adding your name to the list of
contributors of course!). I will sort out these aspect prior to
publication, once the 7.0 template is finalised.

Regards and thanks,

Steve Fanning

Kevin Berry Kevin Berry

Re: Calc Guide v7.0

I am picking up the preface and introduction for the first revision. At
what time will I be able to get the Formulas and Functions section as well?

Gordon Bates
[hidden email]
github.com/jdoes

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:30 PM Steve (GMail) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have started a detailed read through the chapters of the 6.4 Calc
> Guide to identify the changes needed for 7.0.
>
> The first two chapters (0 - Preface and 1 - Introduction) have been
> updated and placed in the appropriate Draft folder within NextCloud.
> Please could somebody find time to perform a first review of these
> chapters?
>
> Echoing Peter Schofield's comments in relation to the Impress Guide,
> please do not waste time reviewing the front matter or the template used
> for these chapters (other than adding your name to the list of
> contributors of course!). I will sort out these aspect prior to
> publication, once the 7.0 template is finalised.
>
> Regards and thanks,
>
> Steve Fanning

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re: Calc Guide v7.0

I have finished updating Chapter 3, Charts and Graphs, and placed the
file in the Draft folder ready for first review.

As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
matter or the template used for these chapters (other than adding your
name to the list of contributors of course!)

Regards,

Steve

>I have started a detailed read through the chapters of the 6.4 Calc
>Guide to identify the changes needed for 7.0.
>
>The first two chapters (0 - Preface and 1 - Introduction) have been
>updated and placed in the appropriate Draft folder within NextCloud.
>Please could somebody find time to perform a first review of these
>chapters?
>
>Echoing Peter Schofield's comments in relation to the Impress Guide,
>please do not waste time reviewing the front matter or the template
>used for these chapters (other than adding your name to the list of
>contributors of course!). I will sort out these aspect prior to
>publication, once the 7.0 template is finalised.
>
>Regards and thanks,
>
>Steve Fanning

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re: Calc Guide v7.0

I have finished updating Chapter 4, Using Styles and Templates, and
placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.

As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

>I have finished updating Chapter 4, Using Styles and Templates, and
>placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.
>
>As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
>matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your
>name to the list of contributors of course!)
>
>Regards,
>
>Steve

Samantha Hamilton Samantha Hamilton

Re: Calc Guide v7.0

Hi Steve, and docs team,

I have taken the Calc Guide v7.0, Chapter 4 for first review. I expect to
have it in the feedback folder by Friday at the latest.

Best,
Sam.

  Samantha Hamilton
  darling docs

  <https://darlingdocs.wordpress.com/> <https://github.com/samanthahamilton>
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/shamilton-64b4b71b0/>

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 4:26 PM Steve (GMail) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have finished updating Chapter 4, Using Styles and Templates, and
> placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.
>
> As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
> matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your
> name to the list of contributors of course!)
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Felipe Viggiano Felipe Viggiano

Re: Calc Guide v7.0

Hello everyone,

Just uploaded a first review on the CG7003-ChartsAndGraphs in the Feedback
folder. Uploaded also a .zip file with some images to support a few
comments, please feel free do delete it after downloading.

Checked out the CG7005 - UsingGraphics for a first review, expected
return by friday (07Ago2020).

The Calc Status Guide spreadsheet has been updated.

Best regards,
Felipe Viggiano

Em ter., 4 de ago. de 2020 às 12:27, Samantha Hamilton <
[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hi Steve, and docs team,
>
> I have taken the Calc Guide v7.0, Chapter 4 for first review. I expect to
> have it in the feedback folder by Friday at the latest.
>
> Best,
> Sam.
>
>   Samantha Hamilton
>   darling docs
>
>   <https://darlingdocs.wordpress.com/> <
> https://github.com/samanthahamilton>
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/shamilton-64b4b71b0/>
>

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 4:26 PM Steve (GMail) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > I have finished updating Chapter 4, Using Styles and Templates, and
> > placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.
> >
> > As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
> > matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your
> > name to the list of contributors of course!)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re[2]: Calc Guide v7.0

All,

I have finished updating Chapter 6, Printing, Exporting, E-mailing, and
Signing, and placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.

As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your
name to the list of contributors of course!)

Regards,

Steve

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re[2]: [libreoffice-documentation] Re: Calc Guide v7.0

Hi Felipe,

Very many thanks for the useful comments on Chapter 3 – your help is
much appreciated. It’s an over-sized chapter and you have obviously
reviewed it thoroughly.

I have processed your comments, accepting most, but modifying a few and
rejecting a few. I have hopefully covered everything you raised, but
with the document containing two sets of tracked changes, it’s sometimes
hard to be sure!

The file is now in the Draft folder awaiting second review. If you have
time, feel free to look through the document and make sure that you are
happy with my editorial decisions; please email if anything is amiss or
not understood (probably better than making further edits yourself at
this stage).

A few notes on matters arising:
Apart from the addition of your name to the list of contributors, I have
ignored proposed formatting changes to the front matter pages, before
the “Introduction” section. These pages will be overhauled when the 7.0
template is finalised and any changes now are nugatory.
In the section entitled “Selecting non-adjacent data”, the step
described in the second bullet point worked fine on my Windows system.
If it doesn’t work on your OS, maybe you could consider raising a bug
report in Bugzilla?
Please could you look again at the change proposed to the first bullet
under step 3 in the section entitled “Adding and formatting data labels
for a data series”. The text as originally written describes the
behaviour on my Windows system. In particular, I don’t want to lose the
explanation that “...Calc displays data labels for that data series
using default settings…” when a data series is selected (these data
labels with default settings remain displayed even if you press Cancel
on the Data Labels dialog).
Step 3 in the section entitled “Removing all data labels” works for me.
If it doesn’t work on your OS, maybe you could consider raising a bug
report in Bugzilla?
With regards to your inability to test the 3D View aspects because of
crashes, have you considered raising a bug report in Bugzilla?
With respect to Figure 51 (“Drawing toolbar when chart is placed in edit
mode”). I suspect that the order of icons was changed at some point but
no icons have been added or removed and so I think we can safely leave
this figure as it is. (There is an overall caveat in the Preface to the
Calc Guide to the effect that not every illustration will match exactly
what each individual reader sees on his Calc screens).
I note that you have commented in some places on the use of a comma
before that last item in a list of “things”, and proposed deleting said
comma. For those with a fascination with the English language (and
plenty of time on their hands), this is known as a serial comma, or a
series comma, or an Oxford comma, or a Harvard comma. You can read more
at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma and linked pages. Suffice
to say that we tend to use this extra comma throughout the Calc Guide
(not my decision) and I don’t have any enthusiasm for re-working that
decision at this stage. I have therefore rejected those particular
changes.

Thanks again,

Steve

>Just uploaded a first review on the CG7003-ChartsAndGraphs in the Feedback
>folder. Uploaded also a .zip file with some images to support a few
>comments, please feel free do delete it after downloading.
>
>Checked out the CG7005 - UsingGraphics for a first review, expected
>return by friday (07Ago2020).
>
>The Calc Status Guide spreadsheet has been updated.
>
>Best regards,
>Felipe Viggiano
>
>Em ter., 4 de ago. de 2020 às 12:27, Samantha Hamilton <
>[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
>>  Hi Steve, and docs team,
>>
>>  I have taken the Calc Guide v7.0, Chapter 4 for first review. I expect to
>>  have it in the feedback folder by Friday at the latest.
>>
>>  Best,
>>  Sam.
>>
>>    Samantha Hamilton
>>    darling docs
>>
>>    <https://darlingdocs.wordpress.com/> <
>>https://github.com/samanthahamilton>
>>  <https://www.linkedin.com/in/shamilton-64b4b71b0/>
>>

>>  On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 4:26 PM Steve (GMail) <[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  >
>>  > I have finished updating Chapter 4, Using Styles and Templates, and
>>  > placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.
>>  >
>>  > As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
>>  > matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your
>>  > name to the list of contributors of course!)
>>  >
>>  > Regards,
>>  >
>>  > Steve
>>  >

Re: Re[2]: [libreoffice-documentation] Re: Calc Guide v7.0

Hello Steve,

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Regarding the bugs, I did a few actions to try to resolve it without
success, as I didn't want to delay the review even more, I decided to put
the warning in the comments. For now, I'm gonna look a little deeper in
those issues, and confirming that it's not some configuration issue I will
definitely report a bug.

About the text in the Data labels dialog, I can see now how it is important
to alert the user. In this case, may I suggest inserting the text that you
wrote? It would be something like:
"If you selected a data series, Calc displays data labels for that data
series using default settings (and it will remain displayed even if you
press Cancel on the dialog)..."

As for the commas, that was something I didn't know about. I will keep that
in mind in the next Calcs reviews, thanks for the heads up!

Best regards,
Felipe Viggiano

Em qui., 6 de ago. de 2020 às 04:56, Steve (GMail) <
[hidden email]> escreveu:

> [...]
> this figure as it is. (There is an overall caveat in the Preface to the
> Calc Guide to the effect that not every illustration will match exactly
> what each individual reader sees on his Calc screens).
> I note that you have commented in some places on the use of a comma
> before that last item in a list of “things”, and proposed deleting said
> comma. For those with a fascination with the English language (and
> plenty of time on their hands), this is known as a serial comma, or a
> series comma, or an Oxford comma, or a Harvard comma. You can read more
> at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma and linked pages. Suffice
> to say that we tend to use this extra comma throughout the Calc Guide
> (not my decision) and I don’t have any enthusiasm for re-working that
> decision at this stage. I have therefore rejected those particular

Hello Team,

I've uploaded Chapter 4 to the Feedback folder (noted changes on the Status
spreadsheet). Steve, I think many of your changes are cohesive and really
enhanced the document's readability/directionality.

Cheers,
Sam.

  Samantha Hamilton
  darling docs

  <https://darlingdocs.wordpress.com/> <https://github.com/samanthahamilton>
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/shamilton-64b4b71b0/>

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 8:37 AM Felipe Viggiano <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > this figure as it is. (There is an overall caveat in the Preface to the
> > Calc Guide to the effect that not every illustration will match exactly
> > what each individual reader sees on his Calc screens).
> > I note that you have commented in some places on the use of a comma
> > before that last item in a list of “things”, and proposed deleting said
> > comma. For those with a fascination with the English language (and
> > plenty of time on their hands), this is known as a serial comma, or a
> > series comma, or an Oxford comma, or a Harvard comma. You can read more
> > at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma and linked pages. Suffice
> > to say that we tend to use this extra comma throughout the Calc Guide
> > (not my decision) and I don’t have any enthusiasm for re-working that
> > decision at this stage. I have therefore rejected those particular

annie.tp.nguyen annie.tp.nguyen

RE: Re[2]: Calc Guide v7.0

Hi team!

I'll be giving Chapter 6 it's first review and aim to have it back in the Feedback folder by Wednesday next week.

Cheers,
Annie

I have finished updating Chapter 6, Printing, Exporting, E-mailing, and Signing, and placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.

As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your name to the list of contributors of course!)

Regards,

Steve

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re: Re[2]: Calc Guide v7.0

All,

I have finished updating Chapter 7, Using Formulas and Functions, and
placed the file in the Draft folder ready for first review.

As with earlier chapters, please do not waste time reviewing the front
matter or the template used for this chapter (other than adding your
name to the list of contributors of course!)

Regards,

Steve

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re[4]: [libreoffice-documentation] Re: Calc Guide v7.0

Hi Samantha,

Many thanks for your thorough and helpful comments.

Not much to report in terms of matters arising, other than to point out
that I've included a note in the "Deleting a template" section. This
clarifies that moving or deleting a template does not adversely affect a
document that uses that template. The document will retain the styles
that it originally inherited from that template. One slight quirk that
I've mentioned is that the File > Properties > General page can indicate
the name of a template that no longer exists.

The updated document is in the Draft folder, with all changes accepted,
awaiting second review.

Regards,

Steve

> [...]
>>exactly
>> > what each individual reader sees on his Calc screens).
>> > I note that you have commented in some places on the use of a comma
>> > before that last item in a list of “things”, and proposed deleting
>>said
>> > comma. For those with a fascination with the English language (and
>> > plenty of time on their hands), this is known as a serial comma, or
>> > series comma, or an Oxford comma, or a Harvard comma. You can read
>>more
>> > at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma and linked pages.
>>Suffice
>> > to say that we tend to use this extra comma throughout the Calc
>>Guide
>> > (not my decision) and I don’t have any enthusiasm for re-working
>>that
>> > decision at this stage. I have therefore rejected those particular

Steve (GMail) Steve (GMail)

Re[3]: Calc Guide v7.0

All,

I have finished updating Chapter 8, Using Pivot Tables and placed the