Calc: How to concat CTRL+ENTER to a string?

wdrago wdrago

Calc: How to concat CTRL+ENTER to a string?

All,

To place two lines of text in a cell I type the first line
then press CTRL+ENTER and type the second line. I am trying
to do this in an equation and don't know how.

Here's what I have:

=CONCATENATE("Target Balance Assuming ", E2*100, "% Growth")

I want everything after "Target Balance" to appear in the
second line of the cell so that the cell looks like this:

Target Balance
Assuming xx% Growth

How do I modify the above equation to achieve this?

Thanks,
-Bill

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: Calc: How to concat CTRL+ENTER to a string?

Hi William,

Am 09.04.2015 um 13:17 schrieb William Drago:

> =CONCATENATE("Target Balance Assuming ", E2*100, "% Growth")
>
> I want everything after "Target Balance" to appear in the second
> line of the cell so that the cell looks like this:
>
> Target Balance
> Assuming xx% Growth

First, you do not need to use CONCATENATE. You can just use the
&-operator for concatenating strings. However, you can use the
CONCATENATE function, as well, if you want. ;-)

For a line break, take the ASCII character no. 10.

e.g.

="Target Balance Assuming" & CHAR(10) & E2*100 & "% Growth"

Cheers,
Stefan

Gary Collins Gary Collins

Re: Calc: How to concat CTRL+ENTER to a string?

Hi,try: =CONCATENATE("Target Balance" & CHAR(10) & "Assuming " & E2*100 & "% Growth")

James E. Lang James E. Lang

Re: Calc: How to concat CTRL+ENTER to a string?

On a Windows platform I use &CHAR(13)&CHAR(10) [CR+LF] instead of just &CHAR(10) [LF] which I use on a Linux platform or just &CHAR(13) [CR] which I would expect to use on a MAC platform

Do I over complicate the process?

--
Jim

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

James E Lang - [hidden email] wrote:
> On a Windows platform I use &CHAR(13)&CHAR(10) [CR+LF] instead of just &CHAR(10) [LF] which I use on a Linux platform or just &CHAR(13) [CR] which I would expect to use on a MAC platform

Those are the conventions for plain text files on those systems.
Although I believe Mac OSX uses LF, same as Unix, while Mac OS up to
version 9 used CR.

Even in the case of plain text, now that files are so readily
transferred between systems, most decent text editors cope fine with all
3 formats regardless of which system they're running on.

> Do I over complicate the process?

For LibreOffice documents, I think you do. What do you do in a document
which might be transferred between different systems?

Does CHAR(13) in a LibreOffice formula on Mac even have the intended
effect of splitting lines? Come to that, does LibreOffice even run on
Mac OS 9 or before? I suspect LibreOffice only uses CHAR(10) regardless
of OS, although I don't have a Mac (let along one before OSX) to try.

On Windows LibreOffice, all that's needed is CHAR(10). CHAR(13) has no
apparent effect, other than cluttering the formula.

Mark.

James E. Lang James E. Lang

Re: Calc: How to concat CTRL+ENTER to a string?

Thank you, Mark. I also don't have a MAC so on that score I was speaking theoretically.

--
Jim

> On a Windows platform I use &CHAR(13)&CHAR(10) [CR+LF] instead of just &CHAR(10) [LF] which I use on a Linux platform or just &CHAR(13) [CR] which I would expect to use on a MAC platform

Those are the conventions for plain text files on those systems.
Although I believe Mac OSX uses LF, same as Unix, while Mac OS up to
version 9 used CR.

Even in the case of plain text, now that files are so readily
transferred between systems, most decent text editors cope fine with all
3 formats regardless of which system they're running on.

> Do I over complicate the process?

For LibreOffice documents, I think you do. What do you do in a document
which might be transferred between different systems?

Does CHAR(13) in a LibreOffice formula on Mac even have the intended
effect of splitting lines? Come to that, does LibreOffice even run on
Mac OS 9 or before? I suspect LibreOffice only uses CHAR(10) regardless
of OS, although I don't have a Mac (let along one before OSX) to try.

On Windows LibreOffice, all that's needed is CHAR(10). CHAR(13) has no
apparent effect, other than cluttering the formula.

Mark.

wdrago wdrago

Re: Calc: How to concat CTRL+ENTER to a string?

Thanks to all who replied. <y problem is solved. This is
what I'm using:

="Target Balance" & CHAR(10) & "Assuming " & $E$2*100 & "%
Growth"

No need for the CHAR(13).

-Bill