[Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

Gilles Gilles

[Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

Hello,

I need a keyboard shortcut to delete the current row

CTRL+- only works when 1) reaching for the mouse and 2) clicking on its ID
number on the left-most column (1,2,3, ie. the "grey part")… which beats the
point of keyboard shortcuts.

Do you know of a way?

Thank you.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

At 06:00 21/09/2020 -0700, Gilles Noname wrote:
>I need a keyboard shortcut to delete the current
>row. CTRL+- only works when 1) reaching for the
>mouse and 2) clicking on its ID number on the
>left-most column (1,2,3, ie. the "grey part")…
>which beats the point of keyboard shortcuts.

Ctrl+hyphen, R, Enter?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

You need to  add a new keyboard shortcut. To add, go Tools >
Customize... > Keyboard tab. In the bottom portion of the panel, select
the Edit Category, and then the "Delete Rows" line in the Function
list. Then highlight a suitable keyboard shortcut in the Shortcut Keys
area (maybe Ctrl+Delete), and press Modify. This will assign the
"Delete Rows" tothe shortcut key you selected.
I hope this helps.Rémy.

Le lundi 21 septembre 2020 à 06:00 -0700, Gilles a écrit :

> Hello,
> I need a keyboard shortcut to delete the current row
> CTRL+- only works when 1) reaching for the mouse and 2) clicking on
> its IDnumber on the left-most column (1,2,3, ie. the "grey part")…
> which beats thepoint of keyboard shortcuts.
> Do you know of a way?
> Thank you.
>

> --Sent from:
> http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

Gilles Gilles

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

Gilles Gilles

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

Found it:
1. Tools > Customize > Keyboard
2. Category = Edit, Function = Delete Rows
3. Shortcut Keys = CTRL+Del
4. "Modify" to assign shortcut

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Den mån 21 sep. 2020 kl 15:50 skrev Gilles <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks. I'd rather a single shortcut eg. CTRL+SHIFT+-. I'll see if I can
> find
> a way.
>

> Thanks for what? Nobody answered yet, as far as I can see.

Anyway, I would just make a macro and then create a shortcut to start that
macro.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

That's what I've been using for years.

Glad you found the setup.

Mark

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 6:55 AM Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Found it:
> 1. Tools > Customize > Keyboard
> 2. Category = Edit, Function = Delete Rows
> 3. Shortcut Keys = CTRL+Del
> 4. "Modify" to assign shortcut
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 14:13:51 +0100
Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 06:00 21/09/2020 -0700, Gilles Noname wrote:
> >I need a keyboard shortcut to delete the current
> >row. CTRL+- only works when 1) reaching for the
> >mouse and 2) clicking on its ID number on the
> >left-most column (1,2,3, ie. the "grey part")…
> >which beats the point of keyboard shortcuts.
>
> Ctrl+hyphen, R, Enter?

FWIW, on my system, CTRL+hyphen pops up a Delete Cells dialog, R does
nothing and Enter causes the dialog to close while executing the first
action - Shift cells up. LO 6.2.7.1

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 20:19 21/09/2020 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 14:13:51 +0100 Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 06:00 21/09/2020 -0700, Gilles Noname wrote:
>>>I need a keyboard shortcut to delete the
>>>current row. CTRL+- only works when 1)
>>>reaching for the mouse and 2) clicking on its
>>>ID number on the left-most column (1,2,3, ie.
>>>the "grey part")… which beats the point of keyboard shortcuts.
>>
>>Ctrl+hyphen, R, Enter?
>
>FWIW, on my system, CTRL+hyphen pops up a Delete
>Cells dialog, R does nothing and Enter causes
>the dialog to close while executing the first
>action - Shift cells up. LO 6.2.7.1

That's odd. Figure 36 in the Calc Guide 6.2 shows
the Delete cells dialogue with the first letter
of "rows" in "Delete entire row(s)" underlined.
This means that pressing "R" *should* move the
selection to this option. (Figure 16 in Calc Guide 6.4 shows the same.)

Brian Barker

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 21:21:33 +0100
Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 20:19 21/09/2020 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> >>
> >>Ctrl+hyphen, R, Enter?
> >
> >FWIW, on my system, CTRL+hyphen pops up a Delete
> >Cells dialog, R does nothing and Enter causes
> >the dialog to close while executing the first
> >action - Shift cells up. LO 6.2.7.1
>
> That's odd. Figure 36 in the Calc Guide 6.2 shows
> the Delete cells dialogue with the first letter
> of "rows" in "Delete entire row(s)" underlined.
> This means that pressing "R" *should* move the
> selection to this option. (Figure 16 in Calc Guide 6.4 shows the
> same.)

Well the diagram in the book also has the buttons at the bottom in a
different order. Either they used a different version of the software,
or maybe a different desktop environment. The joy of linux :)

But no, there are no underlines on the selections in [my] real life.

Philip Jackson-2 Philip Jackson-2

On 21/09/2020 22:48, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Well the diagram in the book also has the buttons at the bottom in a
> different order. Either they used a different version of the software,
> or maybe a different desktop environment. The joy of linux:)
>
> But no, there are no underlines on the selections in [my] real life.

Nor mine -  on 6.4.5.2

Philip

Dave Barton-4 Dave Barton-4

On 22/09/2020 14:17, Philip Jackson wrote:

> On 21/09/2020 22:48, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Well the diagram in the book also has the buttons at the bottom in a
>> different order. Either they used a different version of the software,
>> or maybe a different desktop environment. The joy of linux:)
>>
>> But no, there are no underlines on the selections in [my] real life.
>
> Nor mine -  on 6.4.5.2
>
> Philip

That suggests you are running Linux.

The image Dave is referring to was taken from a Windows 7 install of the
Calc Guide 6.2. We (The Documentation Team) always take captures of the
guide we are writing about. As much as we would like to, we cannot cover
every possible visual difference between each operating system.

The conclusion to this thread is that Ctrl+- opens the dialog in both
Linux and Windows (cannot speak for macOS), but the D key only functions
as described by Brian under Windows, which is why Linux users don't see
the underline. Although less convenient, Linux users can use the up and
down arrow keys can be used to select the required option.

Dave

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 15:18:18 +0100
DaveB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/09/2020 14:17, Philip Jackson wrote:
> > On 21/09/2020 22:48, Dave Howorth wrote:
> >> Well the diagram in the book also has the buttons at the bottom in
> >> a different order. Either they used a different version of the
> >> software, or maybe a different desktop environment. The joy of
> >> linux:)
> >>
> >> But no, there are no underlines on the selections in [my] real
> >> life.
> >
> > Nor mine -  on 6.4.5.2
> >
> > Philip
>
> That suggests you are running Linux.
>
> The image Dave is referring to was taken from a Windows 7 install of
> the Calc Guide 6.2. We (The Documentation Team) always take captures
> of the guide we are writing about. As much as we would like to, we
> cannot cover every possible visual difference between each operating
> system.
>
> The conclusion to this thread is that Ctrl+- opens the dialog in both
> Linux and Windows (cannot speak for macOS), but the D key only
> functions as described by Brian under Windows, which is why Linux
> users don't see the underline. Although less convenient, Linux users
> can use the up and down arrow keys can be used to select the required
> option.

Since I believe such underlines were implemented on Unix/Linux before
Windows, it's disappointing to me that the functionality isn't there in
the Linux implementation.

And in this case where there's a functional difference rather than a
visual difference, it would be nice to see that documented.

But thanks for explaining the situation. PS I think you mean R key
rather than D key.

> Dave

bunk3m bunk3m

Re: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Calc] Keyboard shortcut to delete current row when focus on one of its cells?

Sorry for the late response, I'm on digest mode.

While this isn't a one keyboard shortcut, you can do the following:

I use the following to achieve the delete current row when in a cell.

When in the cell,
press shift+spacebar (highlight row)
and then the ctrl+- (to delete row)

B.