Calc SLOW with filtering large data set

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Calc SLOW with filtering large data set

I work with large spreadsheets and have used both Excel and Calc in the
past.  I have a large file with 10 or so sheets, many of which are large
and one has just over 35,000 records.  In this sheet there is a field
that is boolean (0 or -1).  When I filter on this field in Excel it
takes several minutes to complete.  When filtering in Calc it takes
10-15 minutes or more.  I'm using Excel on an older and slower i5
windows 7 machine and Libreoffice on a newer i5 (8th gen) with windows
10.  I may try to switch machines to see what happens, but I'm pretty
busy and taking the time to do that is tricky.  Also, I've tried using
Excel 360 (trial) on the newer windows 10 machine and it loads 30
seconds or so faster than the older machine running excel, much faster
than Libreoffice.

What might cause this slow filtering?  I'd love to use Calc exclusively,
but occasional problems like this keep scaring me away from fully
embracing Libreoffice.

Thanks for any insights or ideas about how to speed it up.

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Re: Calc SLOW with filtering large data set

OK, a little more info.  I just ended up trying the spreadsheet on the
older machine running windows 7 and LibreOffice 5 and the filtering was
nearly instantaneous.  Odd because Excel (2007) on that same machine is
very slow.  So why would Calc run so slow when filtering using LO 6 on a
Windows 10 machine but so fast when running LO 5 on a Windows 7
machine?  And is there any connection to Excel being so slow on both
machines?

Thx

On 2/19/18 10:49 PM, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> I work with large spreadsheets and have used both Excel and Calc in
> the past.  I have a large file with 10 or so sheets, many of which are
> large and one has just over 35,000 records.  In this sheet there is a
> field that is boolean (0 or -1).  When I filter on this field in Excel
> it takes several minutes to complete.  When filtering in Calc it takes
> 10-15 minutes or more.  I'm using Excel on an older and slower i5
> windows 7 machine and Libreoffice on a newer i5 (8th gen) with windows
> 10.  I may try to switch machines to see what happens, but I'm pretty
> busy and taking the time to do that is tricky.  Also, I've tried using
> Excel 360 (trial) on the newer windows 10 machine and it loads 30
> seconds or so faster than the older machine running excel, much faster
> than Libreoffice.
>
> What might cause this slow filtering?  I'd love to use Calc
> exclusively, but occasional problems like this keep scaring me away
> from fully embracing Libreoffice.
>
> Thanks for any insights or ideas about how to speed it up.

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Re: Calc SLOW with filtering large data set

I realized this morning that the version I installed was the "fresh"
release and not the "still" release.  I did that because it was at the
top of the download page for the installer and was the only one that
showed on my browser screen (I didn't think to scroll down because
convention seems to be to present the current safe version at the top
and provide access to potentially unstable versions via more obscure
links).  Seems to me it would be wise to hide the "fresh" version and
present the "still" version at the top of the list.

I am downloading the v.5 "still" release and will test that on the new
computer.  I'm expecting it to work faster.

I also noticed that the 6.0.1 release is missing the memory management
option under the Tools|Options menu.  I'd thought perhaps I could speed
up the filtering of the long file with memory management but there was
no option for memory management that I could find.  I don't know if
that's intentional or a bug, but I thought I should mention it.  Again,
that is in v.6.0.1.

Carl

Jean-Baptiste Faure-3 Jean-Baptiste Faure-3

Le 20/02/2018 à 04:49, Carl Paulsen a écrit :
> [...]
> What might cause this slow filtering?

Perhaps xlsx format.
Save your file as .ods and try again.

Best regards
JBF

Disclaimer: my Internet Provider being located in France, each of our
exchanges over Internet will be scanned by French spying services.