Calc diagrams/figures

Thomas Welz Thomas Welz

Calc diagrams/figures

Hello together,

first of all, I hope you can understand, what I want to say. I'm not
really familiar with all the terms regarding this topic.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate way for improvement suggestions.
I hope so. Sometimes I have to generate figures, which I need for
studying and there's the issue: I need labels like "EEHD,ECD" or "U0" or
"cm⁴" etc (superscript and subscript characters)... But this is not
possible either for labels or for the legend. Of course, I can do it
with the drawing tool, but it takes a lot of time and does not change
automatically if I change anything.

This "feature" would be really awesome and progressive (I think MS
Office Excel has same problem) for everyone who is studying sciences or
engineering or similar.

Kind regards,
Thomas

François-Marie BILLARD François-Marie BILLARD

Re: Calc diagrams/figures

hello,
for these problems, i think that LO is not the best tools for scientific diagram.
Perhaps using a tool as GnuPlot will be better.
http://www.gnuplot.info/
François-Marie BILLARD

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:55:00 +0100
Thomas Welz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello together,
>
> first of all, I hope you can understand, what I want to say. I'm not
> really familiar with all the terms regarding this topic.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the appropriate way for improvement suggestions.
> I hope so. Sometimes I have to generate figures, which I need for
> studying and there's the issue: I need labels like "EEHD,ECD" or "U0" or
> "cm⁴" etc (superscript and subscript characters)... But this is not
> possible either for labels or for the legend. Of course, I can do it
> with the drawing tool, but it takes a lot of time and does not change
> automatically if I change anything.
>
> This "feature" would be really awesome and progressive (I think MS
> Office Excel has same problem) for everyone who is studying sciences or
> engineering or similar.
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas

Informatique <[hidden email]>

Michael D. Setzer II Michael D. Setzer II

Re: Calc diagrams/figures

Date sent:       Wed, 16 Dec 2020 08:49:01 +0100
From:           Informatique
<[hidden email]>
To:             [hidden email]
Subject:         Re: [libreoffice-users] Calc diagrams/figures

> hello,
> for these problems, i think that LO is not the best tools for scientific diagram.
> Perhaps using a tool as GnuPlot will be better.
> http://www.gnuplot.info/
> François-Marie BILLARD

Did some messages directly with him that included images of what he
was doing. Problem was with labels and not the actual diagrams.

The labels where entered using the subscript or superscript ctrl keys, but
when the graphs were showing, the sub and super options were gone,
and the labels showed as regular characters. Found that if the sub/super
characters were entered as unicode ctrl-shift-u then they would stay
correctly. Unfortunately, not all characters have unicode for sub/super,
but many do. Would have thought the unicode would have the 26 letters
upper and lower case with both sub/super characters. Total of 104
characters. But some don't seem to exist.

The images he sent made it clear on what his issue was.

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:55:00 +0100
> Thomas Welz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello together,
> >
> > first of all, I hope you can understand, what I want to say. I'm not
> > really familiar with all the terms regarding this topic.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is the appropriate way for improvement suggestions.
> > I hope so. Sometimes I have to generate figures, which I need for
> > studying and there's the issue: I need labels like "EEHD,ECD" or "U0" or
> > "cm" etc (superscript and subscript characters)... But this is not
> > possible either for labels or for the legend. Of course, I can do it
> > with the drawing tool, but it takes a lot of time and does not change
> > automatically if I change anything.
> >
> > This "feature" would be really awesome and progressive (I think MS
> > Office Excel has same problem) for everyone who is studying sciences or
> > engineering or similar.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Thomas
> >

> > --

> Informatique <[hidden email]>

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:[hidden email]
 mailto:[hidden email]
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Howard Barr-4 Howard Barr-4

Re: Calc diagrams/figures

Michael, thanks for the update. I was able to fix a very similar subscript
problem.